Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Lightweight CNC close ratio 11s cassette?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Lightweight CNC close ratio 11s cassette?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-23, 07:28 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Update: Prestacycle Lock Ring Sucks

The 11-speed 12-28 cassette is still shifting flawlessly.

However, the lock ring which comes with this cassette sucks. It does not have a crush spacer behind it, and is too small for a 12T first cog, probably because it also fits an 11T first cog. So over time the lock ring (a) worked itself loose, (b) extended further outboard than the surface of the hub that goes against the inside of the dropout, and (c) got caught against a barely protruding RD hanger bolt. This caused the freehub to lock up relative to the bike (but luckily not relative to the wheel) as I was pedaling along on a descent so that I could no longer pedal or backpedal; thankfully I managed to slow down and unclip from an awkward position. Upon closer inspection, no damage to any component other than the lock ring itself.

I replaced the Prestacycle lock ring with a Shimano lock ring designed for a 12T smallest cog (part no. Y1YX98020):
Shimano Ultegra CS-6700 Lock Ring & Spacer for 12T - Y1YX98020 – Pit Crew Cycles.