Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Dutch Azor Bike - Order and Bike Review

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 07-05-21, 08:38 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2322 Post(s)
Liked 4,925 Times in 1,760 Posts

This is sort of a Jack-Of-All-Trades bike so I decided to post it here vs Commuting or Utility:

For years I used an old AMF Hercules 3 speed for a utility, errand bike for picking up stuff and such around town. It was also too small and about a year or so ago I replaced it with a weird Mars Trekking bike for the same purpose as well as some light gravel riding. Well the Mars was a pain to mount when the milk crate on the rear rack was loaded with groceries and such. Tall top tube, heft of the bike, flopping around when loaded and you leaned it over to get on, etc. So I did some research and decided a Dutch style bike was just what I needed. A little more research showed Azor to be pretty much the best buy these days for an authentic bike built to last generations.

So, I went online and used Azor's bike configurator to build a bike to the specs I wanted. Process was simple and the configurator even gave you a warning if you were selecting incompatible parts. Once I had it sorted out the build specs were sent to the U.S. distributor, Amsterdam Bicycle Company, to confirm and complete the order. Steven there was very helpful with things and provided great customer support through the process. He provided in-depth details of the whole buying and building process as well as shipping. Told me it would take around 10 weeks for the bike to be built and shipped but in actuality it was closer to 8 weeks. They have a set rate of $99 to ship the bike normally. This was the only hiccup. The FEDEX service they normally use was suspended by COVID issues. This came up about a week before the bike shipped and was validated by a check with FEDEX. I should note that the Fedex service was going to be about a 10-14 day shipment. Amsterdam offered to send it via a more expensive carrier called TNT via 4-5 day shipping. They offered to split the increased cost with me. The other option was to wait until Fedex started that original shipping method again. I opted for the TNT option since the split cost wasn't that much more. No in fairness, TNT's tracking totally sucked. The morning of the actual arrival date it showed as all the way across the country from me. But Steven had been keeping an eye on the bike and emailed me to let me know it was actually on the truck for delivery. So I was able to be home and sign for it on the first delivery attempt.

Bike was extremely well packed and came mostly assembled. Amsterdam had also emailed me the shop and owner's manuals on all the components when they notified me the bike was shipping. Everything was firmy secured in the box with the few accessories in another box and inside yet their original boxes. To assemble I had to mount the front fender and wheel, Attach the front brake cable, mount the front light and plug both lights into the dynamo hub, insert the stem/handle bar assemble, insert the seatpost/saddle, and then put on the pedals. Took me maybe 20-30 minutes to get it out of the box, together, and out for a test ride. Everything seemed well lubed but I did open both the headset and the front hub to make sure before I put it together. Unlike the Pashley I bought earlier this year that needed a lot of tuning out of the box, the Azor was spot on. It was quite apparent they had built it up fully and tuned it in before taking parts off to pack and ship it. The even sent a vinyl, zippered pouch the size of a money back with the tools you needed to put it together. Also had a Dunlop to Schrader valve adaptor in the bag, nice touch!

Now the bike...... I went with a step through frame that was basically their Ameland - Ladies models. Wanted it to be easy to mount when loaded. Built with a Shimano Nexus 8 speed IGH with upgraded roller brakes front and back. Full fenders, heavy duty racks front and rear, dynamo front hub, lights that run off the hub, dress guard on the rear wheel, full chainguard, built in wheel lock with an accessory chain that plugs into the lock, front wheel stabilizer, nice fat 28" x 50 tires, matching sprung Brooks Saddle and handlebar grips, and a heavy duty, two-pronged kickstand to keep the bike stable while being loaded. I decided on a British Racing Green type color with brown leather cockpit and those cream colored wheels. The bike configurator allows you to pick custom colors for the frame, rack, fenders, chainguard, etc. Took me awhile to decide on the color and look of the bike. They use a very durable 3-stage powder coat process on all the painted parts that has a reputation for being very durable and rust proof. The hardware and shiny bits are stainless steel to keep them lasting through decades of weather abuse also. I went with an aluminum frame but could have gotten the exact same thing in steel. The bike is beautifully made and arrived with no damage at all. The pictures below do not give justice to the rich gloss of the finish on the frame. Oh, this is no lightweight racing bike. This is one heavy old beast for sure but you don't feel the weight when you ride it. All components worked flawlessly out of the box.

The riding experience is quite different from my road bikes or even the 3-speed Guv'nor Path Racer. You sit upright, chill out, and enjoy the ride. The 8-speed IGH seems to have a decent range of gears that are not too widely spaced. The bike rolls very well and it quite comfortable. I am using different muscles from normal and can tell. It's pretty much a silent ride too, a little tire/drive chain noise but no rattles, squeaks, or creaks from the frame just a luxurious ride. My aluminum front rack is rated for at least 33 lbs, if you opt for the steel one it carries 55 lbs. This rack is mounted to the frame vs the front wheel so it does not effect handling of the bike when loaded. It is also easily installed or removed since it fits into special frame mounted brackets to accommodate this. The rear rack's capacity is at least 88 lbs. They have some options that can carry more.

Anyway, enough coffee induced ranting on, here's some pictures of the bike. I had a plastic milk crate on the front rack now for carrying stuff.

I'm digging the color scheme.

Handgrips are really comfortable

Aged Brooks Saddle

This is the built in lock. It retains the key until to put it into a locked condition. That port in the side accepts the accessory cloth covered chain.

Nice metal badging and full chainguard

I went with a more sublet, old school looking decal set.

Heavy duty rear rack with built in bungee cords

Rear light powered off the front hub.

The other side of the lock and you can see the dress guard better. This will see winter use by me and should keep me dry in the wet stuff.

Hmmm... I need to translate that but I think it's talking about being impact resistant.
Old 07-05-21, 08:41 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Nice Headbadge

Front light

Upgraded rollerbrake

Upgraded rollerbrake and beefy rear rack supports

All business front ent

Ready to carry a lot of stuff. Good kickstand

Straps seem strong but stretch a good ways

Shimano reliability

8-speed IGH

Gotta have the bell.

Last edited by jamesdak; 07-05-21 at 08:45 AM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 07-05-21, 08:42 AM
jamesdak 

Fat, comfy tires on beefy rims

Dynamo hub

This is how that front rack mounts

The cockpit.
Old 07-05-21, 09:35 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3124 Post(s)
Liked 1,694 Times in 1,025 Posts
Looks good! I’d like to have something like that in the stable!

I’ve ridden Dutch bikes— I took a 30 mile round trip on one out of Amsterdam to Zaanse Schans once— and it takes some getting used to riding bolt upright, especially in a head wind, but there are some trips I make which would be ideal for such a machine.

Enjoy it!
Old 07-05-21, 09:52 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
I mean, with the brand name and the dynamo/headlight, you've just gotta name this bike Lightbringer, amiright?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 07-05-21, 07:30 PM
jamesdak 

Took this out for a longer ride today just to see what it was like to do more miles than what it was bought for. So I took it out on the 11 mile evening route I normally do on the Guv'nor. Picked tonight as it was hot but not blazing hot. Also the legs were tired from a 52 mile ride earlier and on top of that a front was moving in with a bunch of wind. So a good test at it's worse, LOL! The route has a short but steep little hill I go over twice. Even on the return leg going up the steeper side into the head wind I had enough gear to go up no real problem. Obviously it's not fast but it is smooth riding and comfortable. Sometime this week I'll load it down pretty good and see how it handles then.
Old 07-05-21, 07:46 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Very nice bike. It has everything you need and then some.

Thanks for sharing.'
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 07-07-21, 10:41 AM
Stadjer

Bikes: Gazelle rod brakes, Batavus compact, Peugeot hybrid

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 5986 Post(s)
Liked 954 Times in 728 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak

Hmmm... I need to translate that but I think it's talking about being impact resistant.
Correct, It says impact resistant, x layers powdercoating system, transparant lacquer (paint/coating)3, zinc primer, colour paint.

It's a bit old school, boasting about rust proofing was about the main marketing message of the 30's and 50's Dutch bikes.
Likes For Stadjer:
Old 07-07-21, 05:54 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,369 Times in 718 Posts
May I suggest a membership in AAA? Gonna need it when you get a flat out on the road. Been there done that.
Old 07-07-21, 08:12 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by TiHabanero
May I suggest a membership in AAA? Gonna need it when you get a flat out on the road. Been there done that.
LOL, why? Front's simple to remove to fix and the rear only seems complicated.

Of course that said, this is just the utility bike for me these days. Never more than around 3 miles from the house. So I'd probably just walk it back.

I do keep saying I need to put some sealant in the tires of both this one and the Guv'nor but haven't done it. Heck I see maybe one flat every 4-5 thousand miles or riding.

Been carrying AAA since my Miata days with not spare but last time I checked Utah AAA is of no help with a bike.
Old 07-07-21, 08:22 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
Very nice. Might I respectfully suggest that you lose the plastic milk crate ASAP and get a proper basket! Here is mine on a Dutch rack called a Britch. Let's see if I can find the source. Cheers.
Old 07-08-21, 05:54 AM
Stadjer

LOL, why? Front's simple to remove to fix and the rear only seems complicated.

Of course that said, this is just the utility bike for me these days. Never more than around 3 miles from the house. So I'd probably just walk it back.

I do keep saying I need to put some sealant in the tires of both this one and the Guv'nor but haven't done it. Heck I see maybe one flat every 4-5 thousand miles or riding.

Been carrying AAA since my Miata days with not spare but last time I checked Utah AAA is of no help with a bike.
It's not complicated to patch the rear. Just take the tube out and not the wheel, and take a bit of care it doesn't get stuck on sharp edges when you pull it around to get to the leak. Changing the rear tube or tyre is a bit more work. I don't know these new chaincases, but I'm sure it 's improved on the ones I have to deal with on my vintage bikes. We have chainstasy spreaders here to avoid all that and pull new tyres and tube between the axle and the frame, but that damages aluminium frames. The chaincases were a bit of a pain but mainly because people tried to get them on again neatly after pulling them off indifferently, the trick is to get them off very neatly so nothing gets folded or bent, also not when it's left hanging from the cranck when the wheel is pulled out or put back in. The first time it might be a good idea to be in a patient mood and think twice about every move though. Count the naked threads on both chain tensioners before unscrewing and you know the starting point for final adjustment when the wheel is back in.
Old 07-08-21, 06:45 AM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by Stadjer
It's not complicated to patch the rear. Just take the tube out and not the wheel, and take a bit of care it doesn't get stuck on sharp edges when you pull it around to get to the leak. Changing the rear tube or tyre is a bit more work. I don't know these new chaincases, but I'm sure it 's improved on the ones I have to deal with on my vintage bikes. We have chainstasy spreaders here to avoid all that and pull new tyres and tube between the axle and the frame, but that damages aluminium frames. The chaincases were a bit of a pain but mainly because people tried to get them on again neatly after pulling them off indifferently, the trick is to get them off very neatly so nothing gets folded or bent, also not when it's left hanging from the cranck when the wheel is pulled out or put back in. The first time it might be a good idea to be in a patient mood and think twice about every move though. Count the naked threads on both chain tensioners before unscrewing and you know the starting point for final adjustment when the wheel is back in.
Yep, I was watching videos of that before I made the purchase. I'm more concerned on the Guv'nor than this one as I take the Guv'nor everywhere I do one of my road bikes. I live in a small mountain valley town and more than a mile in any direction takes me out of town and away from any place I'd be riding the Azor too. Flat's just are not a real concern which is why I didn't opt to upgrade to Marathon tires.
Old 01-21-22, 05:19 PM
jamesdak 

Just to update on this after half a years use. Bike is amazingly useful and versatile. I have flatted the rear but just put in some sealent and it's been fine for months like that. These lights are not that powerful per their stats yet have given more than ample lighting for nighttime rides down to the store and such.

Oh and still running the plastic milk crate. I mean it get's the job done so why not. Don't even like the looks of the metal ones. Now if I find a wooden crate I like that may go on this.

No mechanical issues at all.

Only minor regret is not putting the Marathon tires on this. I'm realizing now just how much broken glass and other crap winds up on the bike path here. I don't encounter that with all my road bikes that I ride on the roads.

The built in wheel lock is awesome. I don't really live in an area where you worry that much about bike theft but being able to pull up by the local store entrance, hop off, lock the wheel, and then stroll into the store is sweet. I think I've only used the accessory chain for the lock once. And it's a real live hefty chain, not some flimsy cable or such.

Last edited by jamesdak; 01-21-22 at 05:23 PM.
Likes For jamesdak:
Old 01-21-22, 07:02 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Just to update on this after half a years use. Bike is amazingly useful and versatile. I have flatted the rear but just put in some sealent and it's been fine for months like that. These lights are not that powerful per their stats yet have given more than ample lighting for nighttime rides down to the store and such.

Oh and still running the plastic milk crate. I mean it get's the job done so why not. Don't even like the looks of the metal ones. Now if I find a wooden crate I like that may go on this.

No mechanical issues at all.

Only minor regret is not putting the Marathon tires on this. I'm realizing now just how much broken glass and other crap winds up on the bike path here. I don't encounter that with all my road bikes that I ride on the roads.

The built in wheel lock is awesome. I don't really live in an area where you worry that much about bike theft but being able to pull up by the local store entrance, hop off, lock the wheel, and then stroll into the store is sweet. I think I've only used the accessory chain for the lock once. And it's a real live hefty chain, not some flimsy cable or such.
James, hope you are well. Posting this link for some metal baskets from STP. I bought a couple of them for my Schwinn SS DBX. I have found them to be just the right size, sturdy enough for my purposes. decent looking, IMO. The fabric liner is useless if using them on a bike, but I realized that going in. I have carried, just guessing, 20 lbs. or so in the back, with another 10 or so up front, and think I would be comfortable with 10 to 15 more spread out. I use bungee netting for securing what I am carrying. The baskets are attached to my racks with heavier duty zip ties. I know I could get hardware that would allow easier on and off, but I have no intention of doing that. As you state above, if it works, why not. They interfere not at all with shifting/braking, or my hand positions, and low profile to ease mounting the bike. I spent most of another day, chilly start and them warm up, had all I needed with fluids, fuel, accessories and plenty of room for removing layers and storing them. IIRC, that was 48 mile total ride with a lot of stops.

https://www.sierra.com/s~metal-basket/

After running some errands, a bag of groceries and stopping at the library.
Old 04-02-23, 03:28 PM
jamesdak 

Just thought I'd update a bit more on this one. The bike is still chugging along with no problems at all. Had to finally dial in the shifting a tad last year but otherwise that's been the only mechanical thing. I also flatted last year from a goathead. Put some sealant in, re-inflated, spun the tire, and rode on. No issues since.

We're totally socked in with snow here still and there's no place to really ride safely for any real distance.

But I've been able to get this out on the wet neighborhood roads the past couple of days to do some laps. Not a speck of water has touched me, the fender setup and all on this works so well.

Oh and the finish on this is still as good as the day it was delivered. Seems just as durable as Azor claimed it would be.
Old 04-04-23, 10:30 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
That's a real beauty! Nice to have something so useful look that good, too. I don't even think the milk crate looks that bad; it means business, so it fits.

You mentioned generations of use ... I spent some time looking at some Dutch-made bikes a while ago (forget the brand) and that's just the way they do them over there; people park them outdoors all year round exposed to the weather and it doesn't phase them. Of course, a lot of Europeans buy a bike like this instead of a car: it's a practical long-term investment.

Great choice; you'll enjoy it for years to come.
Old 04-04-23, 11:37 PM
rollagain
Lopsided biped

Bikes: 2017 Day 6 Cyclone (the Buick); 2015 Simcoe Deluxe (the Xebec); Street Strider 3i (the not-a-bike); GreenSpeed Anura (the Black Swan)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 160 Times in 97 Posts
BTW, I finally found the brand I'd been looking at before:

workcycles.com

Their frames are mostly a sort of crank-forward, low stepover one-size-fits-all. They have a proprietary feature called the "Escape Hatch" on some models, which makes it possible to do rear tire changes more easily.

Not traditional-looking at all, but built for service.
Old 05-28-23, 01:55 PM
az_fietser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for sharing this detailed review and excellent pictures of your bicycle. I've had my eye on Azor for a while and seriously considering purchasing one but one thing that their website doesn't indicate is the total weight of the bike. How much would you say your Azor Ameland weighs on its own? Also, do you think the 50mm wide tires are a good width, or maybe too wide? I like the idea of the 50mm width for extra cushioning but am wondering how much rolling resistance they have compared to something like a 47mm that the Azor Amsterdam model comes with.
Old 05-28-23, 06:12 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by az_fietser
Thank you so much for sharing this detailed review and excellent pictures of your bicycle. I've had my eye on Azor for a while and seriously considering purchasing one but one thing that their website doesn't indicate is the total weight of the bike. How much would you say your Azor Ameland weighs on its own? Also, do you think the 50mm wide tires are a good width, or maybe too wide? I like the idea of the 50mm width for extra cushioning but am wondering how much rolling resistance they have compared to something like a 47mm that the Azor Amsterdam model comes with.
I've got 45 lbs recorded for it.

I've no complaint's about the tire width. This bike is not about speed or anything to me. Just comfort, carrying stuff, and getting from point A to point B.

It also served me well recently as I worked to recover from a total knee replacement . It was the first bike I could get on and was the one I used for a week or so to get the knee loosened back up enough to allow me to get back on the real road bikes.
Old 05-29-23, 05:33 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 758 Post(s)
Liked 809 Times in 471 Posts
I've been riding Schwalbe Big Bens (26x2.15 I think) on my touring bike (drop-bar converted '93 Trek 970) for a few years now. Great, easy-rolling, comfortable tire. On a loaded down touring bike it's a pleasure to ride. I have probably 1200-1500 miles on them between tours and occasional day rides, no issues or flats.
Old 05-29-23, 11:44 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Liked 963 Times in 637 Posts
Very nice bike and love the color tooAlfine is an extremely reliable and precise transmission
Old 05-30-23, 06:59 PM
jamesdak 

Originally Posted by georges1
Very nice bike and love the color tooAlfine is an extremely reliable and precise transmission
This has a NEXUS IGH, chosen because it's stronger and has less maintenance. These are utility bikes.
Old 06-01-23, 08:08 AM
Stadjer

I understood that narrow tyres are only faster because of aerodynamic resistance, because wide tyres have a similarly sized contact patch, only a shorter and wider one. They might even have less friction on imperfect surface because of their better cushioning. So if you don't go fast enough to make aero important, which the bike isn't specifically designed for anyway.