Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How to dress for metric century in the rain?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 08:58 AM
eljayski 
slow on any terrain

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JK Classic; Sella Ronda by Bertoletti; Tommasini Tecno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 51 Posts

Hello, everyone! Noob here.The search function here on BF provided little help.

I'm riding a MC in Ocean City Md. on May 6 and the forecast calls for 60% chance of rain and temp high 60s; NW wind at 15 gusts to 24mph.

At home, I won't ride in the rain so I don't worry about these things. However, I registered for the Maryland Coast Bike Festival for the chance to ride flat and with lotsa oxygen. I want to do this ride regardless of weather.

Internet searching has me believing that a Gore Tex waterproof jacket is advisable and I plan to buy one.

What about shorts? I've seen conflicting reports as to whether Spandex is waterproof or not.

Finally, suggestions for socks?

Many thanks! eljayski

Last edited by eljayski; 04-24-23 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-24-23, 09:07 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
What's the forecast temperature? Forecast winds? How fast do you anticipate riding the event? How do you normally handle riding in the rain?

You mostly don't want to get hypothermia, so dress for 10-15 degrees cooler than the actual temperature. A jacket will help.

Unless it's close to freezing, you'll get wet, either from sweat or rain. It might be advisable to pre-treat sensitive areas with either chamois cream (which may need to be re-applied after the first couple hours) or petroleum jelly.

If you often wear underwear and shorts or jeans, think again. Those will chafe something awful when they get wet.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 04-24-23, 09:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Forecast temperature and wind? If it’s going to be warm you might not want to bundle up.

And what kind of possible rain? E.g., Scattered showers?
Old 04-24-23, 09:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
What's the forecast temperature? Forecast winds?
I didn’t see your post until I had made mine. Great minds…

Also, Ocean City is on the coast. The ocean can moderate the temperature. But if the route goes inland, it can be warmer. Later in te season the difference can be dramatic. Last summer I was camping in S. Jersey. Rode about 13 miles to the shore. Once the sea breeze kicked in, it was in the low 70s on te beach. When I rode back to camp, a bank sign on the mainland read 93 degrees, and it was very humid. I drained my 40 ounce CamelBak and some water from a bottle during the shadeless trip back.

Last edited by indyfabz; 04-24-23 at 09:21 AM.
Old 04-24-23, 09:14 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Shorts aren't waterproof, but they don't hold much water, and they dry quickly.

A thicker sock made with merino wool is nice on a rainy day. I wear DeFeet Woolie Boolie socks.

Waterproof shoe covers will keep you feet fairly dry. I have these Pearl Izumi shoe covers.

Old 04-24-23, 09:41 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Don't dress in the rain. Dress indoors, where it is dry.
Likes For Maelochs:
Old 04-24-23, 09:49 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
More seriously ..... high 60s is pretty chilly for that area at that time of year, but it could happen. As @pdlamb notes, you will be soaked at the end no matter what. Mostly I would try to keep wind off me. Wool is good as an insulator but a terrible wind-block. I would go with something not necessarily waterproof but which would keep some wind off your chest if you had it, or just any light nylon shell.

On another hand (or foot) even with wind-chill from riding you won't be anywhere near painful cold for fingers or toes. If you wear closed shoes, that should be fine, or put half a sandwich bag over just the front ends of your feet if you are really sensitive. Hands should be okay because you can flex them and such.

A wool hat under your helmet would be good ... probably overkill, but it wouldn't hurt. You can always stuff it in a pocket or a bag. If you have a rack or a large bar bag, better. Bring a couple plastic shopping bags in case you need to take off your wet gear and stow it.

Rides like these, often the better prepared you are, the less of the gear you need. Watch it be unseasonably warm and sunny all day .....
Old 04-24-23, 09:53 AM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
Don't bother with the goretex jacket - if it rains you're getting wet. Wear wicking layers you can add or strip off, and add a windproof vest you can put on if you get wet and hit a cool headwind. Merino socks will be a plus. Do add a cycling cap - that will help keep rain out of your eyes.

As long as its not actually cold, the biggest thing about riding in the rain is mindset. If you can simply accept that you're getting wet and go on, it's not bad.

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Likes For bbbean:
Old 04-24-23, 10:05 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
There is some open country there. Expect the possibility of the wind being pretty brutal. High 60s and rain isn't that bad, take a wind breaker or something to keep the wind chill off in case you need it. I often don't in those conditions, but you are better to have it.
Old 04-24-23, 10:08 AM
MaxKatt
TeeOhPea 2tha DeeOhGee

Bikes: Several

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 76 Posts
Don't bother with the goretex jacket - if it rains you're getting wet. Wear wicking layers you can add or strip off, and add a windproof vest you can put on if you get wet and hit a cool headwind. Merino socks will be a plus. Do add a cycling cap - that will help keep rain out of your eyes.

As long as its not actually cold, the biggest thing about riding in the rain is mindset. If you can simply accept that you're getting wet and go on, it's not bad.

That's the smartest thing that's ever going to get posted in this thread.
Likes For MaxKatt:
Old 04-24-23, 10:24 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8279 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
High 60s and a light rain? No big deal. Definitely not Gore-tex jacket weather. If it rains hard enough to fill your shoes and run down your back, well, it sucks but you're going to be wet no matter what you wear. I agree with those who suggested Merino wool socks, a cap under your helmet, and a wind vest. Some people like a light jacket but if you're working you will sweat a ton.

I also like to leave my glasses on as much as possible. And when rim brakes get wet (some discs, too) they can be less effective. Be more careful turning and stay off of painted lines and especially metal surfaces. Some people lower their tire pressure a bit.
Likes For big john:
Old 04-24-23, 10:56 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 847 Times in 410 Posts
Years ago, maybe 2016 <?>, I decided to ride the Five Boro Bike Tour here in NYC in the rain. It was solid rain, not intermittent showers, and I'd guess maybe 62 degrees with some wind. Everyone else in the squad bailed, but I was a bit more intrepid then and wouldn't punt my entry fee. I solo'd the ride, basically no stops, and had my car parked at the end - so there was motivation to finish. It pretty much poured on me the whole way, and frankly, I was glad to be solo.

In no particular order, here are a few things to consider. Visibility - regular riding glasses are out; they just get covered with water drops, inside and out. While you can go with ski goggles, they tend to fog up, but they might work (treat them w/ fog-x). You may want to wear a swim cap under your helmet, which will definitely keep you warmer, and if you don't like it, it's easy to stash. You may also want a cycling cap or something that fits under your helmet because a visor/brim is very useful for improving visibility. I wore my Goretex Windstopper jacket, and it kept me quite dry, but a little water always runs down the back of the neck. I wore my Mt. Hardware rain pants with a band on the chainwheel-side cuff to keep that clear - and those worked very well (I would definitely do _that_ again). Your hands need extra protection - that was a problem for me - and next time I'll stash some nitrile gloves for liners on my regular riding gloves - the wetness just amplified the wind on my hands to a nasty numbness. Wool socks are required. Finally, you really want to have a towel waiting for you, along with dry clothes. A big, fat, thick towel. "Because a towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
Likes For blacknbluebikes:
Old 04-24-23, 11:04 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
If you will be warm enough in just your normal cycling stuff then wear just that. Maybe some arm warmers if you need them. You'll dry out quicker between showers that way.

I also use to use some mountain bike shoes that were mostly mesh fabric and they were very airy for hot weather, but also dried out really quickly after a rain. So if you have a choice of cycling shoes already, consider that. My current shoes aren't so airy, and I fear that when I get in a real soaking rain that I'll feel like I'm pumping water the entire ride.
Old 04-24-23, 11:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski
I won't ride in the rain so I don't worry about these things
fwiw
I try not to experiment w/ anything on long rides. I try to stick with what works for me
any kind of century, is a challenge w/ anything new
so much easier & less expensive to just skip it, if it rains
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 04-24-23, 01:54 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
I've done a solo century in a poncho once. Wasn't terrible, but definitely not fast.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 04-24-23, 02:06 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Don't dress in the rain. Dress indoors, where it is dry.
+1 My immediate first thought.
Old 04-24-23, 02:22 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
My rain strategy is to dress so that I can be warm enough after everything is completely soaked wearing everything I brought. And enough bags, pockets, etc to stash those clothes when not needed. Long or doubled toestraps work really well for securing gear under saddles and tool bags. A produce bag will keep that jacket dry and a stretchy sock will look cycling proper and keep road dirt from the tire off.

I'm a skinny, low insulation guy. Miscalculating on the "warm enough" can make for a long, not fun day that I shelled out money for (and that I may pay again later for with sickness). I am a big fan of the new thermals. Capilene and the like. (The Patagonia Capilene is expensive, yes, but it is so well made it might still be a go to 30 years from now. And hours or days in it wet is just fine. I wore my first Capilene all the time for 10 of the 12 days we spent sailing across the Atlantic in 1986 in a small boat. We saw two storms. Dry didn't rexist. Still have the top and its still a go to.
Old 04-24-23, 02:56 PM
john m flores 
Rider. Wanderer. Creator.

Bikes: Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, Cinelli Hobootleg, Zizzo Liberte

Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 774 Times in 376 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
Years ago, maybe 2016 <?>, I decided to ride the Five Boro Bike Tour here in NYC in the rain. It was solid rain, not intermittent showers, and I'd guess maybe 62 degrees with some wind. Everyone else in the squad bailed, but I was a bit more intrepid then and wouldn't punt my entry fee. I solo'd the ride, basically no stops, and had my car parked at the end - so there was motivation to finish. It pretty much poured on me the whole way, and frankly, I was glad to be solo.

In no particular order, here are a few things to consider. Visibility - regular riding glasses are out; they just get covered with water drops, inside and out. While you can go with ski goggles, they tend to fog up, but they might work (treat them w/ fog-x). You may want to wear a swim cap under your helmet, which will definitely keep you warmer, and if you don't like it, it's easy to stash. You may also want a cycling cap or something that fits under your helmet because a visor/brim is very useful for improving visibility. I wore my Goretex Windstopper jacket, and it kept me quite dry, but a little water always runs down the back of the neck. I wore my Mt. Hardware rain pants with a band on the chainwheel-side cuff to keep that clear - and those worked very well (I would definitely do _that_ again). Your hands need extra protection - that was a problem for me - and next time I'll stash some nitrile gloves for liners on my regular riding gloves - the wetness just amplified the wind on my hands to a nasty numbness. Wool socks are required. Finally, you really want to have a towel waiting for you, along with dry clothes. A big, fat, thick towel. "Because a towel is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have."
My strategy would be similar. Thin wool jersey + Goretex shell (with good ventilation) up top and either wool shorts or lycra + rain pants down below, depending upon your own tolerance for cold. I'd go with a short sleeve wool jersey plus wool arm warmers for maximum flexibility.

You'll want to open up the jacket zips when you can to avoid overheating. A cycling cap under your helmet can keep the water out of your eyes.

If rain pants, add waterproof socks. Otherwise wool socks. Wool is good because it continues to insulate even when wet.

Also look for wool leg warmers.

Not biking, but last year I did The Great Saunter - a ~35 mile walk around the perimeter of Manhattan. Similar early May weather - 50s + rain for 12 hours. My Showers Pass cycling rain jacket over wool did great.

It's hard to stay completely dry from either rain or sweat but wool makes it possible to be a little wet yet warm.

Good luck
Likes For john m flores:
Old 04-24-23, 03:33 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Personally I would avoid anything that is waterproof and just make sure that I have enough layers on to keep me warm. If it's really cool I would also carry a very light weight windproof vest or windproof shell just in case.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-24-23, 03:43 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Not gonna read all the posts.
Shower cap or raincover for your helmet and mud flaps or fenders for your bike.
Keep your head dry and your kit clean. Bring a Buff or gaiter that you can use to moderate your core temp if needed.
Old 04-24-23, 04:18 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Full fenders are a must have item for me when riding in the rain. I would never ride a bike without fenders.
Old 04-24-23, 04:38 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski
NW wind at 15 gusts to 24mph.
Forget the rain, those wind gusts alone would make me skip the ride. A sudden side gust at 24mph can blow you into the ditch, or worse yet, out into the middle of the road unexpectedly. Now, add in some rain with that? Nah, I'd pass.
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 04-24-23, 06:01 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Dress in layers. A house makes a good outer layer.
Likes For Pratt:
Old 04-24-23, 06:16 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 1,009 Posts
I'd say dress in some shorts and turn the fans on while you ride that on your trainer.... but that might just be me and my total lack of desire to ride in cold rain.

Likes For jaxgtr:
Old 04-24-23, 06:20 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
I'd be prepared for 10 degrees colder than forecast, no sun, wind, fixing a flat beside the road. The weatherman isn't your friend.

Jersey, arm warmers, leg warmers, shoe covers, shell, helmet cover. Stow the warmers in a pocket just in case. I have Rain Legs, so I'd skip the leg warmers and have those rolled up.

Being cold on the bike sucks. Having to then stop and fix a flat in an exposed location can be a bad scene.
Likes For downtube42:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.