Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Trek Marlin 6/7/8 Gen 2 vs Gen 3

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-23, 10:48 PM
flocsy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

I went to the official trek shop to try the Marlin 7. When I finished they told me that the big difference between gen 2 and gen 3 is the new geometry (I thought it was only the equipment). So when I got home I tried to find some data on that, but unfortunately the Gen3 is not on the official trek website for some reason so it's hard to compare the data, but I found it here:
https :// 99spokes.com/en/compare?bikes=trek-marlin-7-gen-2-2023,trek-marlin-7-gen-3-2023

So from what I understand the Marlin 6/7/8 Gen 3 frame is way more trail oriented than the Gen 2 which is more of a classic XC. For me this sounds like a disadvantage because I live in a place without hills, so I mostly ride on flat surface with only short up/downs (and no more than 10 degree), and even 1/3 - 1/2 of the time on paved roads, so I don't think I would benefit from the Gen3 changes (that probably most average mountainbikers would love I guess) The change of the head tube angle from 69.5 to 66.5 seams like a huge deal, but only based on countless websites that explain the differences it's hard to tell which one is better for me.

Even though until now I was comparing the differences in the accessories/parts, now that I see these 2 frame options I feel like choosing the right frame will probably weight more in my decision than whether it has ThruSkew or QR axels, and maybe even whether they have tubeless ready rims, tires or what's the maximum tire size they can accomodate. BTW one more "negative" change is the increase in the bike's weight: 1.1kg.

So my question is this: Given that the shop is in the middle of the city with the highest elevation change being the difference between the road and the sidewalk, how could I "feel" the difference? I'm planning to go back to the shop and ask for 2 more rides, one on the Gen2 and one on the Gen3, but what am I supposed to pay attention to?

Last edited by flocsy; 05-05-23 at 10:52 PM.