Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Test riding a bike for 2 hours

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Test riding a bike for 2 hours

Old 05-12-23, 05:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3906 Post(s)
Liked 7,182 Times in 2,905 Posts
Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
200 rpm bursts are the a dream.
ftfy
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 05-12-23, 08:01 PM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Lance could hit 175
Old 05-12-23, 09:53 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 4,489 Times in 3,338 Posts
I agree in principle, but to play devils advocate there is a good chance I would buy the bike if it fits my needs, and I can't tell if it will fit my needs with the brakes in the current position
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
But, from the shop's perspective, there's a good chance you won't buy the bike
So, what are the "chances"?

50/50 that one will buy it?
50/50 that one will buy it even if it meets all the criteria that Larry has?
10% chance that one will buy it, no matter what?
90% chance that one will buy it?

Are those cross top brakes? How much of the ride will be in the drops? Can one get the comfort and leverage needed to activate those from the hoods?

I'd be more comfortable doing a strenuous group ride on a bike that was set up properly with the right brakes, and that one has had more than 5 minutes warm up on.

Doesn't SF have some good level places and hills to climb? Do an all out sprint on the flats, then try a 20% hill climb, then sprint back to the shop, and you'll know if the bike does what you want.
Old 05-12-23, 10:48 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
I'm sick of my bikes breaking and I need to commute in the rain etc, don't like maintenance. I want my commuter bike to be the same bike that I race on.

Separately, there are training benefits to riding single speed with fast groups. It forces you to be comfortable with a dynamic cadence and exposes inefficiencies in your pedaling style.
lots of people commute on bikes with lots of gears without issue. i commute on a 2x12 carbon bike, have never had a commute fail or any major maintenance issue. if you get a good quality, properly specified bike for your purpose and maintain it properly there's no reason you can't stick with one bike for commuting and group rides and racing.
Old 05-13-23, 02:14 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Lance could hit 175
With a little help.
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-13-23, 09:17 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12636 Post(s)
Liked 7,528 Times in 3,989 Posts
Originally Posted by znomit
With a little help.
What's the best PED for cadence? Meth?
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 05-13-23, 11:29 AM
jadmt

Bikes: Handsome xoxo, Serotta atx, Canyon Endurace CF8

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 1,842 Times in 830 Posts
Lance could hit 175
comparing yourself to Lance?
Likes For jadmt:
Old 05-13-23, 12:35 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22513 Post(s)
Liked 8,843 Times in 4,113 Posts
These threads are like a train wreck or a bad auto accident. You know it’s terrible but you can’t keep yourself from watching.

Old 05-13-23, 12:48 PM
CliffordK

I'm sick of my bikes breaking and I need to commute in the rain etc, don't like maintenance. I want my commuter bike to be the same bike that I race on.

Separately, there are training benefits to riding single speed with fast groups. It forces you to be comfortable with a dynamic cadence and exposes inefficiencies in your pedaling style.
I'm not sure the answer to frames breaking. Some riders can go a lifetime without a frame breaking, then others can destroy several, including different materials.

Starting with new, good quality, never wrecked equipment may help, as long as you don't crash on it. Continuing riding on a crashed frame with potential hidden damage can be problematic.

I think some of the professional track cyclists are hard on equipment, but then again, their sponsor would just replace whatever breaks and the cyclists keep riding. Perhaps even supply new equipment for major events. So it would be worth following whatever the pro track riders are riding.

I'm not convinced a single speed is the answer, that you'll always be jumping between too high of gearing and too low of gearing. I can, or used to be able to climb in pretty high gears. But, I'd struggle simply riding up my driveway with a 48:16. And undoubtedly it would put both myself and my bike under a lot of stress.
Old 05-13-23, 09:40 PM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts
Shirtless drop bar 2 hour what now?

Thread 1 was more entertaining
Ocean swimming in bib shorts
Likes For ctak:
Old 05-13-23, 09:48 PM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
Something isn't right here. Usually shops are falling over themselves to get their products into the hands of highly successful "influencers".
Larry you need to go back and give them the "Do you know who I am???" talk.
Likes For znomit:
Old 05-13-23, 10:53 PM
CliffordK

I'm not sure that will help.

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-14-23, 06:17 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
Something isn't right here. Usually shops are falling over themselves to get their products into the hands of highly successful "influencers".
Good point. Brands are always looking for appropriate ambassadors.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-14-23, 06:33 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
So if you ask for a short ten minute test ride but show up 2-3 hours later, I would not expect a friendly exchange afterwards.

Penal Code 532 PC prohibits theft by false pretenses – which is defined as defrauding someone of money or property by way of false promises or representations. The offense may be prosecuted as a misdemeanor or a felony and carries a penalty of up to 3 years in jail or prison.

Dot your i's and cross your t's or ruin your life.
Your choice.

Last edited by CAT7RDR; 05-14-23 at 06:37 AM.
Old 05-14-23, 07:00 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Kai Winters
How are your bikes 'breaking'??? Perhaps you are buying junk bikes???

I've worked in three shops for over 20 years and I've never seen anyone allowed to take a bike for a 2 hour ride....
I did that. Was looking for a new bike and admiring the LBS owners personal bike-a Lynnskey Titanium. He encouraged me to take it on a Sunday group ride of about 40 miles.

Yes, I ordered one and had it built to his recommendations. I guess if you are a regular customer with a new credit card in hand, then a long test ride is not out of the question.
Old 05-14-23, 10:48 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10247 Post(s)
Liked 11,601 Times in 5,946 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
These threads are like a train wreck or a bad auto accident. You know it’s terrible but you can’t keep yourself from watching.

Back in the 19th and early 20th Century, the were sometimes staged trainwrecks, for the entertainment of crowds. They'd run two old locomotives at each other on the same track to crash right in front of the spectators.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 05-14-23, 11:29 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Back in the 19th and early 20th Century, the were sometimes staged trainwrecks, for the entertainment of crowds. They'd run two old locomotives at each other on the same track to crash right in front of the spectators.
Michael Bay is taking notes.
Old 05-14-23, 11:31 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair
I did that. Was looking for a new bike and admiring the LBS owners personal bike-a Lynnskey Titanium. He encouraged me to take it on a Sunday group ride of about 40 miles.

Yes, I ordered one and had it built to his recommendations. I guess if you are a regular customer with a new credit card in hand, then a long test ride is not out of the question.
Did he know you? An LBS where you've bought bikes is much likelier to give latitude.
Old 05-14-23, 06:10 PM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 374 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Did he know you? An LBS where you've bought bikes is much likelier to give latitude.
Yes. I had many bikes serviced there over the years. I bought my tandem car carrier, which cost as much as a bike. Our club rides started at the shop, so yea, we knew each other well and it was his idea.
Likes For bblair:
Old 05-14-23, 08:00 PM
Kai Winters

Bikes: Specialized Aethos, Specialized Diverge Comp E5

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by bblair

You rode the "owners" ride...not a new bike sitting on the show room floor...apples and oranges
Old 05-14-23, 09:12 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4253 Post(s)
Liked 3,866 Times in 2,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I'm guessing the "epoxy and heavy duty zip tie" frame repair didn't come out as expected?

And please, don't insult anyone named Dick. What you want to do is a total Larry move. I sometimes read your posts just for the entertainment value, but I think it's time to put you on "the list".
I mean if he really wanted to be Larry Sellers, he would be completely silent and not say a thing. In the greatest film ever made The Big Lebowski, Larry Sellers didn't say a damn thing, he was probably a prick who stole Dude's car and left his homework but never had a line.

For those who accidentally think this is a real question. If you take one of my bikes for that long I will be pissed unless you have worked it out with me in advance in a case like this if they were putting heavy wear on the bike I would make them buy it and refund them minus the cost of repairing and cleaning the bike if they didn't purchase it in the end. In terms of a Fuji Feather it is an overpriced cheap bike with a very vintage feel. I remember riding it years ago and hating it. It is certainly not a bike I would want to ride with others.

I would want a more road bike geometry and more comfortable parts for a single speed or fixed gear but also useful for the road and the rides I am doing. However in this specific case I would not want anyone like the OP near my rides as they are too much of a liability and a risk for the other rides.

A test ride is generally 5-20 minutes. Theft is generally riding a bike longer than that without working something out in advance. We had a customer once who took an "extended test ride" and in the end he was gone for days and was DUMB enough to walk past the shop with bike because it died on him and he was not happy I saw him walking bike and kept walking and I had to grab the bike from him. Don't steal a bike and don't ask if you can rent a bike for free. If you want the bike buy it if you don't, don't.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 05-14-23, 09:29 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3192 Post(s)
Liked 2,461 Times in 1,490 Posts
What I'd like to know is how much better or worse is one $400-$600 single speed track bike compared to other $400-$600 single speed track bikes?
Old 05-14-23, 10:05 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by seypat
What I'd like to know is how much better or worse is one $400-$600 single speed track bike compared to other $400-$600 single speed track bikes?
The best way to really know is to take the bike out for a demo ride, fly it down to Mexico City.

Then ride it in the Velodrome.

If you can't get at least 56.5 km in an hour, the you might as well just give the bike to a street kid, and call the bike shop back and tell them it was junk.
Likes For CliffordK:
Old 05-14-23, 11:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Plus a Lynskey vs. an inexpensive bike
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-15-23, 02:19 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I mean if he really wanted to be Larry Sellers, he would be completely silent and not say a thing. In the greatest film ever made The Big Lebowski, Larry Sellers didn't say a damn thing, he was probably a prick who stole Dude's car and left his homework but never had a line.

For those who accidentally think this is a real question. If you take one of my bikes for that long I will be pissed unless you have worked it out with me in advance in a case like this if they were putting heavy wear on the bike I would make them buy it and refund them minus the cost of repairing and cleaning the bike if they didn't purchase it in the end. In terms of a Fuji Feather it is an overpriced cheap bike with a very vintage feel. I remember riding it years ago and hating it. It is certainly not a bike I would want to ride with others.

I would want a more road bike geometry and more comfortable parts for a single speed or fixed gear but also useful for the road and the rides I am doing. However in this specific case I would not want anyone like the OP near my rides as they are too much of a liability and a risk for the other rides.

A test ride is generally 5-20 minutes. Theft is generally riding a bike longer than that without working something out in advance. We had a customer once who took an "extended test ride" and in the end he was gone for days and was DUMB enough to walk past the shop with bike because it died on him and he was not happy I saw him walking bike and kept walking and I had to grab the bike from him. Don't steal a bike and don't ask if you can rent a bike for free. If you want the bike buy it if you don't, don't.
I think you’d agree that $600-650 for a feather is steep, and that the inadequacies could be well masked by good maintenance and won’t expose themselves until the bike is pushed hard and actually tested. Not moseying around for 15 minutes and climbing a hill then calling it good.

40 miles shouldn’t do any appreciable damage to the bike, if it does it was faulty. It’s a single speed... Also I’d shout out the bike shop and the Fuji brand to anyone asking about the bike on the ride.

I have a single speed and the mechanical disk brakes are such a headache that I won’t even ride it anymore. I’m not going to go down that road again with a trash single speed. Is a feather the same thing as a kilo tt or is it worse?

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 05-15-23 at 02:30 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.