Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

They don't list tire weights anymore it seems.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-23, 01:41 PM
Raleigh71

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

I hadn't bought any bike tires in years, so when I went looking at the usual sites, i.e. ebay, amazon etc. I noticed that almost none of the usual tire descriptions tell you the weight of the tires. Seems to me the average bloke might want to know how heavy the new tires are, no?

Is this some sort of a new trend among retailers?
Old 05-22-23, 01:47 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by Raleigh71
I hadn't bought any bike tires in years, so when I went looking at the usual sites, i.e. ebay, amazon etc. I noticed that almost none of the usual tire descriptions tell you the weight of the tires. Seems to me the average bloke might want to know how heavy the new tires are, no?

yes.. it's call remote marketing, and ignorance.

many never touch a product, let alone actually USE or know DETAILS about that product.

See: "Drop shipping"

PS.. i'm someone that wants to know how much a tire or inner tube weighs... the weight effects both ride quality and ease of acceleration. a bike accelerates every time the pedals are used to add torque. rotating mass is most felt during that acceleration.

Last edited by maddog34; 05-22-23 at 01:50 PM.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 05-22-23, 02:00 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2338 Post(s)
Liked 2,822 Times in 1,541 Posts
if your go to a real bike oriented source (amazon and ebay are not that) you will get more details https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...tr=3755&sg=500

Likes For squirtdad:
Old 05-22-23, 02:02 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
You can look at the tire company website, get the weights for each size.
Old 05-22-23, 02:16 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by maddog34
yes.. it's call remote marketing, and ignorance.

many never touch a product, let alone actually USE or know DETAILS about that product.

See: "Drop shipping"

PS.. i'm someone that wants to know how much a tire or inner tube weighs... the weight effects both ride quality and ease of acceleration. a bike accelerates every time the pedals are used to add torque. rotating mass is most felt during that acceleration.
Here we go again! Plus, must wait 1/2 hour to go swimming after eating.
Old 05-22-23, 02:50 PM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 446 Posts
Here we go again!

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Here we go again! Plus, must wait 1/2 hour to go swimming after eating.
That's a good idea. So are light wheels (if you're trying to go faster).

Behold my new signature!
Old 05-22-23, 02:52 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
It's amazing how many people on this forum don't know how to do a web search.
Old 05-22-23, 02:53 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Fredo76
That's a good idea. So are light wheels (if you're trying to go faster).

Behold my new signature!
And you should add this addendum to your new sig: "...though neither really matters much, according to physics."
Old 05-22-23, 02:58 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Originally Posted by Koyote
what's really amazing is how many people lack a basic understanding of physics, or how a bicycle actually moves faster, then slows down with each and every pedal stroke..
Old 05-22-23, 02:59 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Seems to me the average bloke might want to know how heavy the new tires are, no?
Nope, I don't purchase tires based on how much they weigh. Don't care about tire weight.
Old 05-22-23, 03:01 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
Which are usually not accurate in any case.
Old 05-22-23, 03:03 PM
maddog34

my technique for many purchases!

Find product i'm interested in.. copy/paste product into a search engine... find info and reviews, THEN go shopping for deals and coupon codes, if it meets my expectations..
Likes For maddog34:
Old 05-22-23, 03:15 PM
Koyote

what's really amazing is how many people lack a basic understanding of physics, or how a bicycle actually moves faster, then slows down with each and every pedal stroke..
Oof. Reading comprehension 101: I never wrote anything to suggest the above, which you seem to be attributing to me.
Old 05-22-23, 04:07 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
Wait are you saying the world famous eBay and Amazon bike shops who aren't at all bike shops and frequently sell fakes and knockoffs amongst billions of other products, don't list good info for bicycle tires which is a tiny amount of what they sell? Weird! I don't get it.

I would check with the manufacturer of the tire of weight but in the end not worry about it too much. I would rather worry about the performance of the tire rather than just weight.
Old 05-22-23, 04:12 PM
maddog34

Oof. Reading comprehension 101: I never wrote anything to suggest the above, which you seem to be attributing to me.
read the rest of the above responses... i was agreeing with you and slyly pointing out someone else's ignorance. sorry if you didn't comprehend those things.
Old 05-22-23, 05:20 PM
Koyote

read the rest of the above responses... i was agreeing with you and slyly pointing out someone else's ignorance. sorry if you didn't comprehend those things.
OK, so your problem is communication in general… Not reading comprehension. Got it.
Old 05-22-23, 06:12 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1561 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 974 Posts

Historically vendors and bike makers routinely listed the weights of tubular tires. But I don't know that it was routinely done for clincher tires.
Old 05-22-23, 06:21 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8277 Post(s)
Liked 9,033 Times in 4,471 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Nope, I don't purchase tires based on how much they weigh. Don't care about tire weight.
I guess you're not an average bloke.
Old 05-22-23, 08:25 PM
Raleigh71

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

What's really amazing is how many people shoot from the hip, without aiming or knowing what they're shooting at.

So I saw a Kenda tire I thought looked promising, so I went right to the Kenda website and the model isn't even listed. I did a google search and eventually found the weight. On a website for a bike store in England. On the 15th click down the google search. I guess if I had oodles of time on my hands, or spent my time marveling about people who don't know how to do web searches, or didn't have a day job, I'd spend my time figuring out how much bike tires weigh.

And that website: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...tr=3755&sg=500 is a nice resource. Thanks! Limited selection in the size I needed.
Old 05-23-23, 02:36 PM
KerryIrons

Quoted: 506 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 356 Posts
weight effects both ride quality and ease of acceleration. a bike accelerates every time the pedals are used to add torque. rotating mass is most felt during that acceleration.
Partly right. Rotating weight means more during acceleration, but you mean "acceleration on every pedal stroke" has an effect, you are wrong. That tiny bit of added energy needed to accelerate a rotating mass with the tiny amount of speed change from a pedal stroke is IMMEDIATELY returned when the bike slows down that tiny bit during the top-dead-center portion of the pedal stroke. It zeros out. The only time rotating mass is different from any other mass on the bike is when there is an actual speed change AND that energy is scrubbed off by braking. Otherwise you get it all back as the bike slows down. Lighter tires/wheels accelerate faster and slow down faster when you coast. Basic physics.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 05-23-23, 04:48 PM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4397 Post(s)
Liked 4,843 Times in 2,997 Posts
Top marks for the irony here ^
Old 05-23-23, 05:04 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3665 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
I'd guess no more than 20% of BFers have any physics beyond HS, yet it's so often invoked.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 05-23-23, 06:27 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Originally Posted by KerryIrons
.......The only time rotating mass is different from any other mass on the bike is when there is an actual speed change AND that energy is scrubbed off by braking. Otherwise you get it all back as the bike slows down. Lighter tires/wheels accelerate faster and slow down faster when you coast. Basic physics.
Also handling - turning, steering, leaning, etc. All things being equal (which they seldom are), a lighter tire feels more nimble and fun to ride. Naturally that has to be balanced against puncture resistance and other factors.

I have always been able to find the weight of a tire on the manufacturers website. That's where you'll also find thread count, which is also important, along with other relevant specs. Amazon or other vendors rarely have complete information on tires.
Old 05-23-23, 08:43 PM
don compton

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Tire weights

Maybe because (within reason) it doesn't matter. I remember years ago at a bike shop in Sacramento, CA, we measured weights of a bunch of tires. The weights were off by 20-40 grams in either direction.
Bottom line, unless you were riding some heavy, stiff, touring tire, it didn't really matter.Pros can't tell the difference in a 20 gram difference. But they can feel the differences in the ride characteristics of different brands and models.
Old 05-23-23, 09:47 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4349 Post(s)
Liked 3,986 Times in 2,661 Posts
What's really amazing is how many people shoot from the hip, without aiming or knowing what they're shooting at.

So I saw a Kenda tire I thought looked promising, so I went right to the Kenda website and the model isn't even listed. I did a google search and eventually found the weight. On a website for a bike store in England. On the 15th click down the google search. I guess if I had oodles of time on my hands, or spent my time marveling about people who don't know how to do web searches, or didn't have a day job, I'd spend my time figuring out how much bike tires weigh.

And that website: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...tr=3755&sg=500 is a nice resource. Thanks! Limited selection in the size I needed.
It is also amazing how many people do not understand that plenty of folks can shoot from the hip and hit the target quite well because they are just good at what they do. Plenty of trick and competition shooters who could really amaze you if you understood it. You don't always have to look down the sights to aim.

In terms of internet searching especially with google, it shouldn't take super long for most things there are exceptions but worrying about a gram or two on a tire and getting mad when people suggest using the tool that would help figure those out instead of relying upon non-bike shops that frequently sell knockoff products to not provide the answer is just a bit silly.

I like how you are also posting on the same forum that another person is posting on and complaining that they must not have a day job or must have all this time to marvel at you when you are basically doing the same things? If Koyote does not have a job and has all this extra time then so must you and so must all of us when we know that is patently not true. There are some folks who are retired and I am sure some folks sans jobs or like me are waiting for their company to restart after the C.E.O passed unexpectedly but I worked 50 hours a week and still managed to post here. The idea that you can do the same thing as others but those others cannot have jobs or lives outside of the thing you are doing is super silly.
Likes For veganbikes: