Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

A bit annoyed with how my LBS wrapped my wife’s bars…

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

A bit annoyed with how my LBS wrapped my wife’s bars…

Old 05-25-23, 09:49 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 1,186 Times in 681 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
i must be doing it REALLY wrong, it only took 15 minutes or so, with zero experience. there must be some nuance i'm missing.
You're either not as picky as us, or you're very efficient. I count the number of times the tape goes around the bar for each section and want both sides to match. I also want the tape to exit the plugs at about the same place on the bar, and no bulges there. I also want them to overlap by the same amount at each time around the bar. I also don't want any bare spots by the hoods, and I have gone to an over/under criss cross instead of putting that little strip in place. If there is an engraved logo, I want it to line up the same place on both sides, preferably always facing up if possible without too much or too little stretch. I also want the tape to finish rather flat on the tops and with the pointy part on the bottom. I also want to make sure the finishing tape (silicon tape, because I don't want sticky residue) has the exposed end on the bottom and out of view.

It's a sickness, I tell you.
Old 05-25-23, 11:02 PM
mattcalifornia

Bikes: 2002 Eddy Merckx Team SC Resto-Mod; 2019 Ibis Hakka MX; 2017 Spot Brand Ajax Belt Drive

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 192 Times in 121 Posts
Originally Posted by roadcrankr
Going back to the 90's, I always use those extra strips for some padding in the drops, right at the first bend in the bars.
And never worried about covering the rear of the clamp, which my paws never touch.
I wonder if I will ever experience the day of bringing my bikes to a shop and let them have at it.
I tried using those Fizik gel pads under the tape last time I wrapped. You can't see it, and it feels good.
Old 05-27-23, 11:23 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by jaxgtr
Supercaz is hard to wrap as it does not stretch like some tapes do so you can get this bulging or lipping if you don't get it right as you come into the hoods. This was probably the best way to eliminate this. I will admit my taping skills lack on occasion, but I tend to use tape that has some stretch which gives me some relief around the hoods.

It's not completely horrible, but it could have been better.
I have one bike with Supercaz and I didn't like wrapping it. It was probably the most difficult to do well of any tape I've used and is mediocre at best at stayng in place. I think I'll stick to Salsa and /or Cinelli (which seem to be identical)
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-27-23, 11:39 PM
yaw
should be more popular

Bikes: 22 Emonda

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I have one bike with Supercaz and I didn't like wrapping it. It was probably the most difficult to do well of any tape I've used and is mediocre at best at stayng in place. I think I'll stick to Salsa and /or Cinelli (which seem to be identical)
Yeah I am off Supacaz since it tore open quite prematurely.

My current favourite is Most 'Superlight' as shown in the pic I posted before. As the name suggests it shaves over 50g vs the Supacaz, installs easily, and feels great.
Old 05-27-23, 11:45 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,197 Times in 758 Posts
Originally Posted by yaw
Yeah I am off Supacaz since it tore open quite prematurely.

My current favourite is Most 'Superlight' as shown in the pic I posted before. As the name suggests it shaves over 50g vs the Supacaz, installs easily, and feels great.
Getting on in years with arthritic elbows and general creakiness, I've transitioned to minimal/thin handlebar tape to padded tape with gel pads underneath. I have indeed bought and used tape perfectly satisfactorily based on weight, and it was fun building a 14 pound bike on a reasonable budget (where yes, ounces count). But now I buy tape using other criteria. But I'll take a look at the tape you mention. Nothing against saving nearly 2 oz!
Likes For Camilo:
Old 05-29-23, 10:04 AM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
I have Supacaz on both my bikes. My wife also has it on her bike. After one season, the tape is starting to ever-so-lightly fray. Same goes for my wife's. Yes, I found the Supacaz tape nice and comfortable. But the longevity of the tape leaves something to be desired, not to mention the difficulty I had in putting the tape on the handlebars. I do not think I will be going back to Supacaz when it comes time to replace the bar tape.
Old 05-29-23, 10:13 AM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked 1,382 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
I have Supacaz on both my bikes. My wife also has it on her bike. After one season, the tape is starting to ever-so-lightly fray. Same goes for my wife's. Yes, I found the Supacaz tape nice and comfortable. But the longevity of the tape leaves something to be desired, not to mention the difficulty I had in putting the tape on the handlebars. I do not think I will be going back to Supacaz when it comes time to replace the bar tape.
interesting. many thousands of supacaz miles here and it looks brand new.
Old 05-29-23, 10:35 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by dscohen
She doesn’t seem to care
"Happy wife, happy life, happy husband... Screw him, nothing rhymes with husband.
Old 05-29-23, 10:45 AM
wheelreason

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 474 Post(s)
Liked 569 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
i count the number of times the tape goes around the bar for each section and want both sides to match. I also want the tape to exit the plugs at about the same place on the bar
lol
Likes For wheelreason:
Old 05-29-23, 02:59 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 95 Posts
You're either not as picky as us, or you're very efficient. I count the number of times the tape goes around the bar for each section and want both sides to match. I also want the tape to exit the plugs at about the same place on the bar, and no bulges there. I also want them to overlap by the same amount at each time around the bar. I also don't want any bare spots by the hoods, and I have gone to an over/under criss cross instead of putting that little strip in place. If there is an engraved logo, I want it to line up the same place on both sides, preferably always facing up if possible without too much or too little stretch. I also want the tape to finish rather flat on the tops and with the pointy part on the bottom. I also want to make sure the finishing tape (silicon tape, because I don't want sticky residue) has the exposed end on the bottom and out of view.

I knew I wasn't the only one like this, especially when it comes to wrapping up bar tape.
Likes For primov8:
Old 05-29-23, 04:43 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts

While I agree with these procedures and they should produce an excellent wrap, in reality I wouldn’t expect my LBS to carry them out. As long as the results are acceptable there are other ways to get it good enough. The wrap the OP showed is not acceptable and should be brought back for a rewrap.
Likes For ARider2:
Old 05-29-23, 05:18 PM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9519 Post(s)
Liked 6,264 Times in 3,453 Posts

Wow!
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 05-29-23, 05:20 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by ARider2
While I agree with these procedures and they should produce an excellent wrap, in reality I wouldn’t expect my LBS to carry them out. As long as the results are acceptable there are other ways to get it good enough. The wrap the OP showed is not acceptable and should be brought back for a rewrap.
I view it as a gray area. The wrap in the OP is full functional the way it is, but it is a little unsightly and not up to professional standards. It would be perfectly reasonable to take it back and ask them to fix it, but it's also perfectly safe to ride it as is.

Originally Posted by ARider2
..and they should produce an excellent wrap...
I gotta say, I still find something I'm not happy with on almost every wrap I do. Not enough to redo it, but it's never "perfect".
Old 05-29-23, 05:30 PM
ARider2

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I view it as a gray area. The wrap in the OP is full functional the way it is, but it is a little unsightly and not up to professional standards. It would be perfectly reasonable to take it back and ask them to fix it, but it's also perfectly safe to ride it as is.

I gotta say, I still find something I'm not happy with on almost every wrap I do. Not enough to redo it, but it's never "perfect".
Me too it’s never perfect enough for me but I try not to let it get the better of me!
Likes For ARider2:
Old 05-31-23, 08:17 AM
Zaskar

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 156 Posts
New bike, a few weeks and a few hundred miles later. Noticed this yesterday - both sides did this. Yeah, I am certain the shop would've rewrapped the bar - even laughed at themselves and apologized. But, in the time it would've taken to put the 1Up in the receiver hitch and put the bike on the rack... rewrapped.

Admittedly, this tape is less forgiving than others - not as stretchy; makes the tight corners a bit tricky. But really... wrapping a bar ranks just above changing a tube and below adjusting a front mech derailleur.

Couple points on securing the ends with electrical tapeL
- The last wrap should not be tight. If you stretch that wrap tight, it WILL pull back and start to come off.
- 3M is the only electrical tape I'll use. Months later, when it's time to un/rewrap the bar, 3M tape does not leave that sticky residue. It just peels off like the day it went on.
Old 06-01-23, 08:06 PM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
.....just bought these gel pads today. Hopefully, one of my LBS will do a good job on wrapping my bars with these underneath the tape

Old 06-03-23, 03:37 AM
zastolj

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaskar
New bike, a few weeks and a few hundred miles later. Noticed this yesterday - both sides did this. Yeah, I am certain the shop would've rewrapped the bar - even laughed at themselves and apologized. But, in the time it would've taken to put the 1Up in the receiver hitch and put the bike on the rack... rewrapped.

Admittedly, this tape is less forgiving than others - not as stretchy; makes the tight corners a bit tricky. But really... wrapping a bar ranks just above changing a tube and below adjusting a front mech derailleur.

- The last wrap should not be tight. If you stretch that wrap tight, it WILL pull back and start to come off.
- 3M is the only electrical tape I'll use. Months later, when it's time to un/rewrap the bar, 3M tape does not leave that sticky residue. It just peels off like the day it went on.
Is it just me or does Supacaz tape seem like a really overrated, overpriced product? Tried them once years ago and they were nothing special and a hard wrap. To me, easy installation is one of the most important priorities on a tape. Then it is possible to do a very nice, uniform installation every time. The wrapping process is then something to look forward to, not nerve-wrecking and does not take a long time. Another priority is that it stays put where you install it in the first place. Then almost equally importantly comes the price and the durability and feel of the material.

I usually go for the Zipp Service Course tape, which is fantastically easy to install since it has a stretch. It has a nice rubbery grip, not too thick and I think cheaper than tapes like Supacaz.
Old 06-08-23, 10:36 AM
Oldguyonoldbike

Bikes: Casati Laser, Colnago Tecnos, Ciöcc Exige, Black Mountain Cycles Road

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 78 Posts
The OP's bars look like I wrapped them! Well, I might have done a better job. It's hard to say.
Anyhow, if I'm going to pay someone to do something, I expect them to do a better job than I would.
Old 06-10-23, 05:13 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
They used that bar tape ?? I looks like the cheap stuff off Amazon that I have bought for bikes I resell. Being said it is not that bad and very grippy on bare hands and came with same texture pieces for the brake clamps.
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07SFVJB3M?...t_details&th=1
Old 06-10-23, 10:08 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2512 Post(s)
Liked 5,423 Times in 2,824 Posts
What comes before a first-world problem?

Old 06-11-23, 01:37 AM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Originally Posted by Zaskar
Silicone tape (aka plumber's repair tape). It has no adhesive (no sticky residue) and fuses to itself for a grip that stays put.
Old 06-12-23, 05:23 PM
NoWhammies

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, BH G7, Rocky Mountain Instinct C70

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by mschwett
interesting. many thousands of supacaz miles here and it looks brand new.
Maybe I am just moving around a lot on my bar tape causing some premature wear. Not sure. The wife's tape is starting to wear too after two years and she rides a fraction of the distance that I do.

I am leaning to replacing the tape on my bike with Fizik when the time comes. I had Fizik on my bike prior to replacing it with Supacaz and that tape lasted for a long time.
Old 06-13-23, 05:06 AM
Shadco 
Resident PIA

Bikes: Gunnar Roadie, Look 765 Optimum, Spesh Aethos

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 183 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
Maybe I am just moving around a lot on my bar tape causing some premature wear. Not sure. The wife's tape is starting to wear too after two years and she rides a fraction of the distance that I do.

I am leaning to replacing the tape on my bike with Fizik when the time comes. I had Fizik on my bike prior to replacing it with Supacaz and that tape lasted for a long time.
Silca Nastro Piloti is excellent tape for 5 bux more than Supacaz and much easier to wrap.

I don't know where I am now...
05 Gunnar Roadie Chorus/Record
67'er
Likes For Shadco:
Old 06-16-23, 09:35 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I hate wrapping tape. I'm a mechanical guy - not an aesthetics guy. I am up front about that with customers though. I will wrap and get it done if need be, and the vast majority of customers see no problem. I don't play games with people that are particular about it. If you're particular then wrap your own bars. I say as much, in a nice way, when I am checking in the work.

Not to say that I can't do it meticulously exactly the specific way a particular rider likes it - just that I have better ways to use my time if I don't need to fill that need. Like I could be meticulously preparing a pour-over coffee.

Likes For Psimet2001: