Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Spokes

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-23, 12:21 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Taking this illustration further, we can use a real wheel. I removed spokes from half of the wheel. You can see that the hub is hanging from the spokes. If I were braver, I’d put this is a frame and have some confidence that I could get on the bike and the bike wheel would not collapse (as long as it doesn’t rotate). In that case there would be tension on the spokes from the weight of the bicycle and rider. The structure wouldn’t be sound but it would hold under static load.
With all due respect, I believe that you are mistaken. Were your argument to be correct, one could ride a wheel with no more spoke tension than is required to keep the spokes in place.

The tensioned wheel is not a tensegrity structure, but rather a prestressed structure: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pres...idge%20systems.

There may be rims strong enough to bear you weight with just the top-half of spokes populated, but I do not believe that it is true for the many simple box section rims widely used. They are only strong in compression, and only kept in compression by the strong tension in the full 360deg of spokes.

I believe Jobst's underlying results from finite analysis are valid and interesting: That the largest *change* is stress between and unloaded and loaded wheel is in the spokes at the bottom. And that rim deflection inwards in that region causes compressive force, which the spoke can handle as long as that force is less than the pre-tensioning, so that each spoke remains overall in tension.
Old 05-28-23, 12:38 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
Not to pick on you particularly, but your comment is what I see as a large part of the problem when it comes to wheel strength and wheel strength testing. Everyone concentrates on the rim as the place of strength which, in my opinion, is misplaced. I don’t use (supposedly) strong rims and don’t see any real difference in wheel durability even though I’m a large, aggressive rider. I use Mavic XC717 rims and/or Velocity Aeroheats on my mountain bikes (559mm rims) which are 420 g rims. I don’t currently use Velocity A23 on my loaded touring bike but I would have no problem whatsoever trusting them to carry the load. Rims really don’t add much to the strength or durability of the wheel given the way in which the rim interacts with the spokes. Spokes do all the heavy lifting and get none of the credit.

Consider what “kills” a wheel. If you crack a rim due to spoke tension, the wheel isn’t “done”. It’s somewhat trivial to replace a rim if you have one with the same ERD. Reduce tension on the spokes and swap them over to the new rim. I’ve done it a number of times when I can find the same model rim or one with a similar enough ERD. But break a single spoke and the wheel is somewhat suspect. Break another spoke and the wheel is more than “somewhat” suspect. Break a third spoke and you should seriously consider rebuilding the wheel. Break more than 3 spokes and you are just wasting your time trying to keep up with the cascade of spoke failure that you are going to be dealing with shortly.

And if you just go by the posts here in the Bike Forums, rim failure is relatively uncommon. Spoke failure, on the other hand, is a far more common topic, especially in the touring and Clydesdale forums where the loads carried are higher and the stress on the wheels are greater.
Glad my post could be the catalyst for your comment. The more implied tack I took with it was ride feel and not strength, strength assessment, or testing. Rims have their place in the wheel strength equation, as do spokes of course--I think we can agree on that. I concentrate on the rim as a definite contributor to the ride quality component, at least in the case of the aforementioned TB14 build because I've done an A vs B comparison using the same hubs and spokes, just MA2 vs TB14. The highly butted spoke + TB14 build yielded an undesirable ride quality, and re-rimming that wheelset with MA2s made the ride quality (using the same spoke tension and same tube/tire/pressure setup) good.

I, too, am a Clydesdale rider, mostly by virtue of height. Still, I can lean on a set of wheels and frame, though I am not a gorilla nor do I try to be. I have broken one spoke in all of my riding, and it was a wheel that had been built for some time. I don't know the spoke tension on it as I had bought it as built (7400 hubs, 2.0-1.7-2.0 spokes, MA2 rims), but I knew I didn't want to start chasing the rabbit of spoke replacement, especially as a rear wheel, so I rebuilt it. The rim was also experiencing cracks at the eyelet in a few spots. Took me several years to get to those points of failure, but I didn't mess around.

Anyway, I am glad that there are people that test component strength and get to the bottom of what really drives success or failure and where stresses are. I'm not that guy, nor will I be that guy. My comment culled remarks from the OP and several others and used in service of observable ride quality/feel differences, especially in my current in-progress wheel build.

Perhaps more relatedly to spokes' strength in the wheel build equation, a year ago I had a Trek FX drop bar conversion build where I initially used DT Swiss R23 wheels @ 1600g or so. R460 rims (469g each, 23mm wide external, parabolic profile), their slightly heavier aero/bladed spokes, and R350 hubs. Ran that wheelset with 35s and 42s. In the name of cutting more weight and seeing what ride quality difference it made, I changed the R23 wheels to lighter (~1500g) Shimano RS81s--basically a Dura-Ace 9000 C24 wheelset with a heavier freehub and likely spokes--the carbon-over-aluminum rim was the same, as was the spoke count. Ran it with the same 35mm tires, may have even done the 42s. The differences were quite stark. On 35s, the RS81s absorbed the road imperfections better, but on anything involving medium to high speed turns--whether sweeping or more quickly executed--the RS81s gave troubling handling characteristics. Unstable and unpredictable throughout the turn. R23s didn't flinch, and neither did any other vintage wheel build with those tires previously or since.

This is probably an obvious horses-for-courses situation, with the RS81s built for road/race tire sizes, light weight, and great manners exclusively, to the detriment of 'flexibility' (or adaptability) when someone like me decides to introduce large tires to it. The R23s are also a road wheel, but they are heavier overall, with slightly wider rims and a higher spoke count. Spoke strength, rim strength (or at least rim profile), and spoke count, IMO, certainly are in play here (in this comparison). RS81s deliver a much nicer ride at 25-28mm tire sizes vs the R23, as do most vintage wheelsets, which is plenty good, because the R23s look cool and handle a 48mm tire (on my '09 Tricross) just fine.
Old 05-28-23, 02:39 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by tgot
With all due respect, I believe that you are mistaken. Were your argument to be correct, one could ride a wheel with no more spoke tension than is required to keep the spokes in place.
This dissertation essentially argues exactly that. “Contrary to both popular belief and expert consensus, increasing spoke tension reduces the lateral stiffness of the wheel…” The dissertations is a very deep dive and I haven’t finished reading all of it and digestion will take much longer but it is a well know phenomena that too much tension on spokes can result in a spontaneous “tacoing” of the wheel. There’s a balance needed and Matthew Ford measured the balance which he discovered is much lower than many people think.

The tensioned wheel is not a tensegrity structure, but rather a prestressed structure: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pres...idge%20systems.
From the same source

​​​​​​​Tensegrity, tensional integrity or floating compression is a structural principle based on a system of isolated components under compression inside a network of continuous tension, and arranged in such a way that the compressed members (usually bars or struts) do not touch each other while the prestressed tensioned members (usually cables or tendons) delineate the system spatially.[1]
This description better describes a bicycle wheel than the definition given for a prestressed structure

​​​​​​​
  • Precompression with mostly the structure's own weight
  • Pre-tensioning with high-strength embedded tendons
  • Post-tensioning with high-strength bonded or unbonded tendons
This article states straight up that the wire bicycle wheel is the most common tensegrity structure in use. It goes further to say that

​​​​​​​The radial spoke bicycle wheel, if one discounts the axle and bearings, is a pure tensegrity structure. It consists of a rim in compression joined to a hub maintained in radial tension by pre-tensioned spokes. The spokes being pre-tensioned place the hub in circumferential tension and the rim in circumferential compression. The flange on the hub which takes the spoke ends is subjected to forces which tend to "unzip" the flanges along the line of the holes.
It would be more correct to say that a tensegrity structure is a special prestressed structure.

To be fair, the article as says

​​​​​​​Some schools of thought would have the hub hang from the topmost spoke/s, others would have it stand on the bottom spoke/s. Both are wrong - or it might be said not even wrong.
Or, in a better parlance, neither idea is completely right or wrong. But he also

​​​​​​​Contrary to the opinions of many otherwise knowledgeable writers the weight of the rider and bicycle is never transmitted to the rim via compressive forces. Under normal conditions the load is transmitted from axle and hub via tensile forces to the rim and from the rim to the ground via compression. Imagine a wheel built using string in place of the spokes. You will see at once that no spoke transfers load in compression, simply because it is impossible to push a piece of string. Consider also that the spoke nipple is a free fit in the rim. If the hub could push a spoke it would simply cause the spoke nipple to protude - there would be no transfer of load from hub to rim whatsoever.
This is more in line with what I’ve said above than that the wheel is “standing” on the lower spokes. There is nothing to “stand” on.

​​​​​​​There may be rims strong enough to bear you weight with just the top-half of spokes populated, but I do not believe that it is true for the many simple box section rims widely used. They are only strong in compression, and only kept in compression by the strong tension in the full 360deg of spokes.
I may not have stated that exactly but have certainly implied it. Perhaps I’ll test it (I still have the half spoked wheel) but I have little doubt that I could mount a bike with the spokes on the upper half of the wheel but certainly not roll it. In static load, I’m reasonable certain that it would hold my weight without collapsing. Any lateral movement would, of course, cause it to bend.

On the other hand, putting the spokes on the lower half of the wheel would result in instantaneous collapse when any load over that of the bicycle (and perhaps not even that) were placed on it. I won’t be testing that!

​​​​​​​I believe Jobst's underlying results from finite analysis are valid and interesting: That the largest *change* is stress between and unloaded and loaded wheel is in the spokes at the bottom. And that rim deflection inwards in that region causes compressive force, which the spoke can handle as long as that force is less than the pre-tensioning, so that each spoke remains overall in tension.
I fully agree that the largest change in the tension on the loaded vs unloaded spokes but Jobst (and others) have interpreted the decrease in tension as an increase in compression. Only the rim is compressed which results in the reduction of tension but there is no compression on the spoke. Tension and compression are opposite acting forces but they are not force that act together. Decreasing tension does not result in increasing compression. Tension has to reduce to zero before compression can be applied. That’s what the quote about the weight of the rider not being translated through compressive force to the rim is all about.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-28-23, 02:43 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
cyccommute - stress. J-bend spokes. Tension. At the J-bend, the load on the spoke is in large part shear from the hub flange to the spoke which is at near right angle to the flange there. It would be fun to see a 3-d stress view of the last 3mm of a spoke. All sorts of stuff going on there.
Yes, I understand that the J-bend is undergoing shear but the shear is the result of the tension on the spoke imparted by the way the wheel is built. Without the tension on the spoke, there would be no shear on the spoke.

And, I’ll point out again, that there are very few measurements of any kind when it comes to spokes and spoked wheels.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 05-28-23, 04:04 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,465 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by tgot
I have proven this to be possible by building wheels with minimum tension and riding them. The question isn't whether you can ride them. The question is, how long will they last? At low tensions, I believe the change in tension when riding it is greater, and that greater change leads to quicker fatigue.

And speaking of the rare case of a spoke breaking in the middle, it happened to two or three spokes in a wheel I had. I mentioned it to an expert, and he told me that they must have been caused by faulty metal. The wheel was out of warranty, so I rebuilt it with a new complete set of spokes.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 05-28-23, 05:33 PM
tgot 

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Ironman, 1997 Trek 2120, Trek T1000

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I have proven this to be possible by building wheels with minimum tension and riding them. The question isn't whether you can ride them. The question is, how long will they last? At low tensions, I believe the change in tension when riding it is greater, and that greater change leads to quicker fatigue.
The failure mode proposed by Jobst for low tension spokes was *wear*. That undertensioned wheels have the spokes go slack at the bottom of rotation as tension goes to zero, and that "forces negative to tension in the direction parallel to the spoke" cause it to move slightly at the J-bend interface with the hub.

Photos of various failure surfaces under a microscope were posted with descriptions of the grain-level evidence for different failure modes. I didn't have the metallurgy knowledge to judge.
judge.
Old 05-29-23, 10:54 AM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 1,841 Times in 1,161 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Spoke strength in tension is not really a factor in a wheel. Yes, butted spokes are weaker in pure tension. But spokes rarely fail in tension and when they do, it is usually from defects or damage. Spokes fail far more often from fatigue and the "neck" at the hub flange and less often through the threads (usually from poor alignment with the rim nipple seat). Butted spokes absorb road shock and simply stretch, sparing those high stress locations from the biggest loads. (Easier on both rims - less likely to crack at the spoke holes and hub flanges also.)

All the wheels I have ridden for very long distances have had double butted spokes. Most of the wheels I've owned that have cracked nipple seats on the rim have had 14g (2.0) straight spokes. I will use 14g straight for right rear if I am going 14-15 double butted for the rest. Yes, triple butted or 13-14 would be better but these seem to work and I build few wheels that heavy. The vast majority of my wheels are 14-16, 15-17 and the like (2.0-1.6, 1.8-1.5) and 14-15 right rear (2.0-1.8).

My wheels almost always go until the rims fail; impact or crash damage or brake wear. For the latter I often rebuild with same spokes and new rim if I can match ERDs.
I've also always heard that we're not supposed to mix straight gage and db. If this is truly an option, then I likely have the sizes I need, in hand.
Old 05-29-23, 11:47 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
A take-off from Mad Honk's for sale thread. I have been led to believe that db spokes are stronger than straight gage due to their ability to stretch without breaking. The opposite is being stated in that thread.. Thought? Experience? Science?
It seems intuitive that one would want to use the strongest spokes, but that doesn't necessarily lead to making good choices for a durable wheel. I am sure that motorcycle spokes would perform far better than anything we use, in one of those "strain to failure" tests. But it should be obvious that they would be the wrong choice for bicycle wheels -- you'd weaken the hub flanges by drilling out the holes bigger, and you'd crack all but the heaviest rims by bringing the spokes up to the tension necessary for them to stay put.

So, like with frames and handlebars, we're not choosing the strongest parts available, but ones that are strong enough for the job, but not unnecessarily heavy. And it turns out spokes can be pretty skinny and still accomplish that. I have over 8,000 miles on a wheelset built with 1.8-1.6-1.8 spokes, and I'm starting to feel that even those are overbuilt!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498