Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kask, MIPS, and testing standards. CT article goodness

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Kask, MIPS, and testing standards. CT article goodness

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-22, 04:57 AM
The_woo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I see. Certainly part of the issue is that federally required CPSC compliance does not test for the angular acceleration and velocity which rotational force reduction systems like MIPS are designed for. However, certainly you’ve heard of the Virginia Tech STAR testing, which does account for tangential velocity; does the fact that all of their top performing elements in every category include MIPS not carry any weight with you?
They also mysteriously don't test any Kask or Abus helmets.
Old 10-21-22, 05:36 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3133 Post(s)
Liked 1,700 Times in 1,027 Posts
Originally Posted by The_woo
They also mysteriously don't test any Kask or Abus helmets.
That’s neither true nor, IMO, mysterious.

VT did test the Kask Vallegro, and given that Abus doesn’t have any official retailers in the USA, it shouldn’t surprise that VT haven’t published tests on one.
Old 10-21-22, 07:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
That’s neither true nor, IMO, mysterious.

VT did test the Kask Vallegro, and given that Abus doesn’t have any official retailers in the USA, it shouldn’t surprise that VT haven’t published tests on one.
Someone should just ask them.. below is the contact email from their site. Abus is sold by at least some mainstream etailers such as Competitive cyclist. The sole Kask review was done 4 years ago fwiw.

Mark Begonia, PhD
Director of Testing
Helmet Lab
mbegonia@vt.edu
Old 10-21-22, 08:40 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Someone should just ask them.. below is the contact email from their site. Abus is sold by at least some mainstream etailers such as Competitive cyclist. The sole Kask review was done 4 years ago fwiw.

Mark Begonia, PhD
Director of Testing
Helmet Lab
mbegonia@vt.edu
Yes, straight from the horses mouth is the way to go…if it even matters.

I don’t know what point The_woo was trying to make— a conspiracy at VT to protect MIPS?— but that VT hasn’t tested every helmet in the world is hardly surprising, let alone that they haven’t tested scarce-in-the-USA brands. There are no Limar, no Uvex, no Casco, only one Catlike…that only one Kask and no Abus have been tested is nothing surprising or suggestive.

Speaking of horses and mouths, it is the Abus locator site I referred to for USA dealers, finding none. Looking at Competitive’s pricing, selection and stock, it would surprise me if they are an active dealer. They practically have no helmets, and they’re all on sale.
Old 10-21-22, 10:30 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Yes, straight from the horses mouth is the way to go…if it even matters.

I don’t know what point The_woo was trying to make— a conspiracy at VT to protect MIPS?— but that VT hasn’t tested every helmet in the world is hardly surprising, let alone that they haven’t tested scarce-in-the-USA brands. There are no Limar, no Uvex, no Casco, only one Catlike…that only one Kask and no Abus have been tested is nothing surprising or suggestive.
Mind you, it's theoretically possible that some helmet makers donate to the VTF and direct that their funds be used in purchase of their brand helmets for review. Perhaps even possible that donations are made in actual product ("Gifts in Kind"). IOW not a conspiracy, just somewhat of self-selection bias that could be possible.
Old 10-21-22, 12:52 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Mind you, it's theoretically possible that some helmet makers donate to the VTF and direct that their funds be used in purchase of their brand helmets for review. Perhaps even possible that donations are made in actual product ("Gifts in Kind"). IOW not a conspiracy, just somewhat of self-selection bias that could be possible.
Yeah, I wasn’t presuming to know how VT acquires the helmets they test, but I think that regardless of that, if a helmet brand doesn’t have any official distribution in the USA, why would they send samples for testing in the USA?

In any case, VT does test non-MIPS helmets, they just don’t score as well as MIPS helmets, so I don’t understand what any “selection bias” maight have to do with with this discussion. I’d bet VT would be happy to test more Kask helmets should Kask send them.
Old 10-22-22, 10:27 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Helmet standards in the US are set by CPSC. If it passes that I don’t care if it has MIPS or not.
I have crashed and cracked a helmet a few times and it always protected my brain.
I am older and a lot more careful now.
Likes For jnbrown:
Old 10-23-22, 05:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7650 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
I have crashed and cracked a helmet a few times and it always protected my brain.
I have used that argument .... people generally respond, "You think it protected your brain, but the fact that you don't (insert behavior of choice, in this case only wear Mips, or whatever) shows that you must have brain damage."

Some people go so far as to say, "The fact that you are still riding after getting ht by a car, (hitting your head, breaking a bone, tearing ligaments, getting gashed and abraded, whatever .... ) show that you did indeed sustain brain damage.

On an unrelated note, Lake Superior is so cold that if you dump bodies there they sink and never float back up.

Now, someone have some further smart-mouthed comments?
Old 10-23-22, 05:32 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Also, I would like to commend @chaadster for his easy grace at extricating himself after a dangerous wrong turn in the debate. Class act. (I cannot find a "thumbs up" emoji, so use your imagination.)
Old 10-23-22, 05:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4232 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by jnbrown
Helmet standards in the US are set by CPSC. If it passes that I don’t care if it has MIPS or not.
I am older and a lot more careful now.
That was the point I was, rather inelegantly, trying to make above. Perhaps one of the times I've crashed, it didn't protect my brain as well as I thought - lingering injuries from the most recent time I was hit are part of the reason most of my riding is done on the trainer these days.
Old 10-23-22, 07:28 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Maelochs
Also, I would like to commend @chaadster for his easy grace at extricating himself after a dangerous wrong turn in the debate. Class act. (I cannot find a "thumbs up" emoji, so use your imagination.)
That you cannot find a thumbs-up emoji might suggest brain damage.
Old 10-23-22, 12:21 PM
Maelochs

That you cannot find a thumbs-up emoji might suggest brain damage.

I wanted one without the suffocating man's swollen head, but I make do .......