Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Scott Aspect - "I would not go there" ...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-22, 03:41 AM
fujitasummers

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Hello hello

I understand this is a whole night down the pub question, but here goes.

About to by a Scott Aspect for wifezilla and myself (mainly gravelly/smallrocky trail riding in the UAE.. so it's hot/dusty). We are not MTB riders, just getting out and about on the w/e's.
As you know there are several - many - models of differing quality components.
Now I understand you get what you pay for: usability, durability and weight. But if money was no object I'd get a Spark for the jollies.
However... I'm thinking as I see all the models and the general uplift in price there must be a point that riders would advise not to go below, for certain reasons "this groupset stinks" "this is where the better wheels kick in" "I just wouldn't compromise on these brakes" etc

I understand that they're all probably good bikes, any answer here will be very subjective and the temptation is less compromise, but ... how low would you go and why?

I'll head to the bar...
Old 10-25-22, 04:24 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Without knowing your budget, this is a pretty pointless exercise.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-25-22, 04:53 AM
fujitasummers

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by livedarklions
Without knowing your budget, this is a pretty pointless exercise.
fair enough ... two ways to look at this - one the one hand my budget is any bike in the aspect range, on the other (and what the question is probably about) 'as much as needed but as little as possible'
you could say it depends what my needs are but ... there are some thing people believe are non-negotiable... I'm sure you get the point
Old 10-25-22, 06:14 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Looks as if the Aspect 910, 920 and 930 are the ones with acceptable components. Deore is as far down the Shimano ladder as you want to go and will be fine for your anticipated use.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-25-22, 06:31 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
With Shimano components, I would not go lower than Sora and 105 tends to be the sweet spot. Wheels .... there are so many varieties, and some manufacturers scrimp on wheels on their higher-end models, I have heard, because so many riders have their own preferences.

I went to the Scott site and used their "compare" feature .... very interesting. While ai am not usually a fan of 1x systems, off-road they can be fine and the Aspect 910 seems to have a good fork, good brakes, a solid 1x12 drive train ..... looks like a nice ride, and also seems reasonably affordable.

Check https://99spokes.com/bikes/scott/2021/aspect-910 and https://bike-test.com/review/scott-aspect-910/ or do your own web searches.

Of the several Aspect models, this looks like the one I would choose. Of course it depends on the terrain you plan to ride. I don't suppose you will be climbing mountains but extreme terrain .... should be adequate but not excellent. Pretty wide tires for floating on sand and absorbing some shocks hitting small rocks, 100-mm air shock ......this looks like the one, for me.
Old 10-25-22, 06:42 AM
fujitasummers

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Looks as if the Aspect 910, 920 and 930 are the ones with acceptable components. Deore is as far down the Shimano ladder as you want to go and will be fine for your anticipated use.
nice one. interestingly the piece I read that prompted my question talked specifically about the Deore in these terms - and I wondered if the was similar thinking about other components. Many thanks
Old 10-25-22, 06:46 AM
fujitasummers

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
many thanks - I found 99spokes but none of it meant much to me! will look up a 1x system ...

oddly we actually have some pretty good 'mountains' here (check Hajjar Mountains if you want to see them) and only an hour out of town. Not a life goal to be flying down or up them though!
Old 10-25-22, 06:46 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
'Wifezilla'...thats a new one to me.

Anyways, a Scott Aspect 740 and 750 would be more than fine for how you plan to use a bike. The Scott Aspect 910, 920, 930, 940, and 950 would also all be fine.
All you are doing is riding paths...that wont be too much for any of the models mentioned.

Obviously the lower the second two digits, the nicer the components. Buy whatever you like. Only the 910 and 920 are really big steps up over the others as they use air forks and nicer drivetrains. But the others will be perfectly fine for how you plan to ride.

Last edited by mstateglfr; 10-25-22 at 06:49 AM.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-25-22, 07:54 AM
fujitasummers

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
'Wifezilla'...thats a new one to me.

Anyways, a Scott Aspect 740 and 750 would be more than fine for how you plan to use a bike. The Scott Aspect 910, 920, 930, 940, and 950 would also all be fine.
All you are doing is riding paths...that wont be too much for any of the models mentioned.

Obviously the lower the second two digits, the nicer the components. Buy whatever you like. Only the 910 and 920 are really big steps up over the others as they use air forks and nicer drivetrains. But the others will be perfectly fine for how you plan to ride.
thanks for the input!
Old 10-25-22, 08:12 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
Just buy a bike and get some experience. Then you'll learn what you do and don't like about it and can replace it later with one that better meets your cycling desires at that time. Personally, I'd let wifezilla select her own bike.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 10-25-22, 08:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Glad to see people are comparing the different aspects of the bikes the OP is interested in.
Old 10-25-22, 08:46 AM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
On a basic level, all of these Scott Aspect bikes have hydraulic disk brakes, so I would say all of them are 'acceptable' at first glance. If I were you I would look for the cheapest model that comes with tubeless ready rims. For MTB's tubeless really is better.
Old 10-25-22, 11:24 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,956 Times in 2,644 Posts
If you are not mountain biking a mountain bike doesn't make sense. However the 10, 20 or 30 would be your sort of entry level stuff and below that I probably wouldn't bother but honestly the Aspect is sort of their bottom end of mountain bikes. If I were stuck on Scott I would probably look at the Metrix 10 it is going to be a lot lighter and has gravel oriented tires but would also work on the road. If I wanted a mountain bike from them I would look at the Scale for a hardtail those are much nicer frames and usually have better parts fitted to them. The bottom end of that line is a true entry level type bike, basic but reliable drivetrain components (Deore in the case of the 980). The Scale 970 gets me a Judy air fork which is a good solid entry level fork that will perform well and has been in the RS catalog for a long time and on a lot of decent bikes. Me I would go 965 if I was looking at budget it has I think better components then the 970 in terms of drivetrain (Shimano Deore/SLX vs SRAM SX) and it has the Judy fork from the 970 and in the white version it has tan walls and looks pretty nice.

The important thing is to go try some bikes and give us feedback on what you liked and didn't like.
Old 10-25-22, 11:26 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
They are all comparable to the Trek Marlin range. None of them have any red-light features if you just want a bike in the garage that is competent to go on a dirt road. The upper models have hydraulic dampers in the forks, but not very fancy ones, while the cheaper ones are maintenance-free pogo sticks. That is a bigger difference than whether it has a front shifter or how many shifts in the rear.

Scott is a smaller company with a strong racing bent so pretty much all their other bikes have that flavor. They don't have a bike in every single category or price point.

If I were getting a bike for Doing Mountain Biking, the Spark 950 is the one that suits my prejudices about what's good enough and what I'd pay more for. But obviously that's another level from where you are shopping
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 10-25-22, 01:03 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

@darth_Lefty raises an important point---you want Adjustable forks. Your weight, your preference, and how and where you ride determine how much rebound and stiffness you want ... and a lot of lower-end forks are really soft and ramp up really fast so you cruise on smooth dirt and bounce off the bike on medium hits (probably all that you will be hitting based on your description.)

The Scott site has that "compare" function which is nice--look at up to four models side by side. Look for adjustable forks, IMO.

The impression i get is that you don't plan to do a lot of "mountain-biking"---hard climbs, difficult descents, very technical stuff, root beds and rock gardens and big drops and such---you are more looking for really comfortable gravel rides which won't rattle your teeth if the trail gets a little rough. I think the Aspect range might meet your needs.

if you really want to hammer hard, it will be worth spending more, but I'd say what you seem to want is comfort and ease and Fun riding off-road ..... so buying all the high-tech, high-dollar, hardcore stuff would be a waste.

If my understanding is wrong ... well, save more money and buy more bike.
Old 10-25-22, 02:40 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by fujitasummers
fair enough ... two ways to look at this - one the one hand my budget is any bike in the aspect range, on the other (and what the question is probably about) 'as much as needed but as little as possible'
you could say it depends what my needs are but ... there are some thing people believe are non-negotiable... I'm sure you get the point

Good clarification. That explains it nicely. I'm pretty much a road guy, so I don't have much relevant advice, but it looks like you're getting some pretty solid feedback from people in the know.

My best wishes for the Zilla family.
Old 10-26-22, 04:34 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
With Shimano components, I would not go lower than Sora and 105 tends to be the sweet spot. Wheels .... there are so many varieties, and some manufacturers scrimp on wheels on their higher-end models, I have heard, because so many riders have their own preferences.

I went to the Scott site and used their "compare" feature .... very interesting. While ai am not usually a fan of 1x systems, off-road they can be fine and the Aspect 910 seems to have a good fork, good brakes, a solid 1x12 drive train ..... looks like a nice ride, and also seems reasonably affordable.

Check https://99spokes.com/bikes/scott/2021/aspect-910 and https://bike-test.com/review/scott-aspect-910/ or do your own web searches.

Of the several Aspect models, this looks like the one I would choose. Of course it depends on the terrain you plan to ride. I don't suppose you will be climbing mountains but extreme terrain .... should be adequate but not excellent. Pretty wide tires for floating on sand and absorbing some shocks hitting small rocks, 100-mm air shock ......this looks like the one, for me.
1x drivetrains totally dominate the modern mtb market. Sora and 105 are road drivetrains, so not applicable here. Deore is the mtb equivalent from Shimano. SX/NX for SRAM equivalents.

Last edited by PeteHski; 10-26-22 at 04:38 AM.
Likes For PeteHski:
Old 10-26-22, 04:57 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by PeteHski
1x drivetrains totally dominate the modern mtb market. Sora and 105 are road drivetrains, so not applicable here. Deore is the mtb equivalent from Shimano. SX/NX for SRAM equivalents.

Deore is the 105 equivalent, right? Is Alivio the Sora equivalent?
Old 10-26-22, 05:15 AM
PeteHski

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 4386 Post(s)
Liked 4,827 Times in 2,983 Posts
I think so yes. I don't have any personal experience dropping below the Deore tier - which I've found to be perfectly acceptable.
Old 10-26-22, 05:40 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
FWIW, the Deore (fourth down the ladder) equivalent might also be Tiagra. Seems the road hierarchy may have an extra level squeezed in. Sora(#5) works well by most accounts but I've never read anything good about mtb groups below Deore.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-26-22, 08:42 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
I didn't really want to participate in a groupset discussion, essentially because none of the Aspect models have anything that's much different than what budget bikes have always had. The cheaper ones have more plastic, steel with oxide coatings, and so on and the better ones have more alloy, plated steel. But none of them really rise out of the category. Yes the top one is 1x but it's not a great example of it and benefits only little. And that's okay for a bike like this.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 10-26-22 at 08:51 AM.
Old 10-26-22, 08:49 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

SLX is more akin to 105 on the MTB side, Deore may not quite match up to anything road based. I would say Alivio is more like Tiagra and Sora is Acera and Altus is is Claris and then of course right next to it is Tourney which goes both ways to crapola.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 10-26-22, 10:19 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
FWIW, the Deore (fourth down the ladder) equivalent might also be Tiagra. Seems the road hierarchy may have an extra level squeezed in. Sora(#5) works well by most accounts but I've never read anything good about mtb groups below Deore.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
SLX is more akin to 105 on the MTB side, Deore may not quite match up to anything road based. I would say Alivio is more like Tiagra and Sora is Acera and Altus is is Claris and then of course right next to it is Tourney which goes both ways to crapola.
I forgot about Tiagra! It's actually my lowest acceptable road derailleurs. TBH, I think it's pretty good but hampered by a name that's too easy to forget.

Does Shimano intentionally make the names confusing? I can never keep Altus, Acera and Alivio straight.
Old 10-26-22, 11:25 AM
Maelochs

Thanks, @PeteHski

Only experiences with anything below Deore is with a 7-speed Alivio derailleur on my C&V Cannondale road bike .... works fine on the road.

Everything off-road I have ever owned was Deore and above .... I think the order is Deore, SLX, XT, XTR, and they could be seen as corresponding to Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, andf Dura-Ace except I have always seen XT as the 105 equivalent .... not hugely expensive, not super-light, but ultimately dependable, while in road groups, I have found Sora to actually be okay.

Deore has always struck me as also being super-dependable, which, when I am riding off-road, is of primary importance.
Old 10-26-22, 07:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I forgot about Tiagra! It's actually my lowest acceptable road derailleurs. TBH, I think it's pretty good but hampered by a name that's too easy to forget.

Does Shimano intentionally make the names confusing? I can never keep Altus, Acera and Alivio straight.
I don't know but yeah it can get confusing. Tiagra is the best of the mediocre, the whole 4600/4700 stuff is annoying still years later.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.