Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Is there a puncture-resistant tire that's suitable for triathlons?

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 12-05-21, 05:07 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts

Is there such a thing as a highly puncture-resistant tire that's suitable for doing triathlons?
Old 12-06-21, 01:23 AM
rivers

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
I would probably run GP5000s if you want a balance between fast and decent puncture protection. I have had good luck with them on my summer bike. I have schwalbe Pro ones on my TT bike and am running those tubeless. No issues so far
Likes For rivers:
Old 12-06-21, 07:25 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Agreed. I've had very good luck with GP5000.
Old 12-06-21, 07:45 PM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 336 Posts

Lies, this tire is not puncture resistant lol
Old 12-06-21, 08:04 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Lol that'll buff right out
Old 12-07-21, 07:30 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
Is there such a thing as a highly puncture-resistant tire that's suitable for doing triathlons?
FWIW, the modern theory over at Slowtwitch is that a road tubeless failure might delay you too much to fix in the race. So many still run clincher. This leaves you going with latex tubes and likely a GP5000. The GP5000 isn't just about the CRR but also the alleged aero of the profile of the tire.

A pretty standard tri tire setup is latex and GP5000's.

Oh, and don't even think about running Gators. Someone did the the math in the past on that and you literally save so much time with a GP5000 tire on a good length race you could flat a GP5000 and change the tube and still be faster than the Gator!

So, you're faster running a fast tire even if you flat the tire because they're soooo much faster.
Old 12-07-21, 10:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek
"Highly" puncture-resistant? Are punctures a frequent problem for you in triathlons, or just a fear?
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 12-07-21, 09:56 PM
MyRedTrek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Originally Posted by MyRedTrek View Post
"Highly" puncture-resistant? Are punctures a frequent problem for you in triathlons, or just a fear?
It's not even for me - someone from another forum mentioned they have a lot of flats and it made me curious. 35c Schwalbe Marathon Plus tires have served me well on one of my hybrids but I don't know if the skinniest Schwalbe tires would be skinny enough or how their rolling resistance compares to a typical competition tire.

Last edited by MyRedTrek; 12-07-21 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-12-21, 09:53 AM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
To directly answer your OP question - I 3rd or 4th the GP5000. I ride the GP5000 (and have ridden many alternatives) - I don't race.

My kid did his 1st try this year in TX 2-3 months ago with about 500 competitors. He got the fastest bike time.
He went with the same ITT philosophy - If going for the win on a one-day event, use the fastest (everything) knowing there is an increased RISK of not achieving due to a mechanical.
Vs using more durable (GP5000), and guaranteed slower time.

Of course, the above depends on where you are expecting to place and what matters.
If you are totally expecting to dominate, or be beaten, a 3-4 place swing doesn't matter, just training, got no ride home/support - use the slower (GP5000) stuff. The GP5000 is still a fast tire.
Old 12-12-21, 10:09 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1102 Post(s)
Liked 2,136 Times in 1,441 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
FWIW, the modern theory over at Slowtwitch is that a road tubeless failure might delay you too much to fix in the race. So many still run clincher. This leaves you going with latex tubes and likely a GP5000. The GP5000 isn't just about the CRR but also the alleged aero of the profile of the tire.

A pretty standard tri tire setup is latex and GP5000's.

Oh, and don't even think about running Gators. Someone did the the math in the past on that and you literally save so much time with a GP5000 tire on a good length race you could flat a GP5000 and change the tube and still be faster than the Gator!

So, you're faster running a fast tire even if you flat the tire because they're soooo much faster.
My experience exactly. Practice changing flats too. You’ll be amazed how quickly you can do it.