Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Who is Hambini?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Who is Hambini?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-19, 09:23 AM
seb1466

Bikes: 20+ from 1990's steel & magnesium!, to modern day alloy and carbon. MTB, CX & road

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brooklyn6640
Hi thank,s but in my CAAD7 BB30 how to do this preload , sorry ?With the hollgram SI crankset so how to do ?
I don't have any direct experience of this crankset. However the BB30 units I have seen are using wavy spring washers to control axial clearance (preload) at the non-drive side of the axle. In this case you should use DGBB (6806) as replacements and not ACBB. Generally with the wavy washers you don't need to adjust; you just tighten the cranks up which partially compresses the wavy spring washer which preloads the bearings.
Old 10-30-19, 02:24 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by smashndash
I have not read the book. Only seen some snippets/debates online.
Don’t mean to turn this into a debate but:
“Other than its tension the bicycle wheel is the same as any other wheel such as a wooden wagon wheel. The spoke under the hub is shortened in compression by a load on the axle, while the upper spokes remain unaffected by the load.”

Maybe I’m just dumb but I don’t see a lack of tension as the same thing as compression. We don’t have to discuss this any further, but I think this could be fairly easily resolved if someone heavily loaded a wheel and then cut the spoke at the bottom, and nothing happened. If that spoke were truly a load bearing structure, then something would happen. Regardless, you’re right that this has been debated endlessly and there’s no resolving it.
What exactly causes the lowering of tension? Compression, maybe?
Old 10-30-19, 02:40 PM
brooklyn6640

Bikes: Tommasini, Caad 7 , Seven, Pinarello

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
thank you for these interesting information and precisions.For the preload of the bearings of the caad7, I caught the wave washer thing.Thanks everybody
Old 10-30-19, 03:08 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by seb1466
I don't have any direct experience of this crankset. However the BB30 units I have seen are using wavy spring washers to control axial clearance (preload) at the non-drive side of the axle. In this case you should use DGBB (6806) as replacements and not ACBB. Generally with the wavy washers you don't need to adjust; you just tighten the cranks up which partially compresses the wavy spring washer which preloads the bearings.
I believe Hollowgram cranks do use the wavy washer where spacers of various widths can be added to compress the washer to the appropriate degree.

Some SRAM cranks also use the wavy washer with BB30 but my Red cranks do not. I have an adjustment collar like the one pictured. As you turn the adjuster the internal bit threads outward, eliminating play and preloading the bearing. A set screw locks it in place once set. Seems like this be sufficient to sustain a consistent contact angle.
Old 10-30-19, 03:24 PM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Local compression of the rim. Yes. Not of the spokes. If that’s how you want to put it, the whole rim is always under compression from spoke tension and tire pressure, along with the rider load.
Old 10-30-19, 03:42 PM
seb1466

Bikes: 20+ from 1990's steel & magnesium!, to modern day alloy and carbon. MTB, CX & road

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Think of the spoke as a brake cable - works in tension but not in compression. The lowering of tension does not create compression only relaxation into the untensioned state. The change in the level of spoke tension is the result of elastic deformation of the component parts under load (rim and spokes).
Old 10-30-19, 03:47 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I have a GXP BB and Hambini just said they were "bollocks" and "a bag of wank". I think that's bad.
Old 10-30-19, 10:38 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Well, the discussion so far has centered on tension on the spokes. To that end, deformation of the local part of the rim is the cause of local lowered spoke tension.

When tensioned, spokes stretch. When the rim deforms under load the small portion of the rim, near where the tire touches the road, is deflected and the hub closer together. This reduces the length between spoke hole and nipple, and the spoke tension for those spokes is lowered. They're still in tension, but less so.

The key failure mode for a spoke in compression would be buckling. It would take about a quarter kilogram to buckle a spoke. So no, no compression.

Put another way: less tension, but zero compression.

Last edited by WizardOfBoz; 10-31-19 at 08:28 AM.
Old 10-31-19, 11:20 AM
davidad

https://www.yarchive.net/bike/wheel_stresses.html
Old 10-31-19, 11:31 AM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Here's a small clue that is consistently ignored by the ostriches who attempt to debate the spoke question: bike spokes have been replaced with strings and the wheel functioned as normal.

For anyone who really wants to understand rather than cling to a known false premiss for comfort sake, just do what Brandt refused to do: construct a free body diagram of a bicycle spoke.
Likes For AnkleWork:
Old 10-31-19, 11:53 AM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Do we need to rehash the spoke argument here? Neither analogy (hub hangs from spokes, hub stands on spokes) is completely accurate, so it's dumb to keep arguing as if one is.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 10-31-19, 11:38 PM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
I love Hambini, the debunker of Zipp, Flo, CeramicSpeed, etc...
Hambini and Leusher are favorite cycling related youtube channels
Old 03-28-20, 01:58 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by asgelle
Hambini is nothing at all like Brandt. Jobst was meticulous about backing up his opinions with detailed analyses which stood up to critical review. He never falsified or made up data. Any engineer who falsifies data is disqualified from ever being considered qualified.
What data did he falsify? You have proof?
Old 03-28-20, 02:00 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
What data did he falsify? You have proof?
Already cited. Please try to keep up.
Old 03-29-20, 02:57 PM
davidad

Already cited. Please try to keep up.
Your going to need a source other than the one that has been raked over the coals by Hambini. Otherwise I have violated rule number two.
Old 03-30-20, 12:35 AM
davidad

Originally Posted by cyccommute
+1 Having been involved in a long drawn out discussion on wheel dynamics, this is the key to my problem with Brandt's point. He (and others) look on a decrease in tension as an increase in compression as if they are directly opposite forces. They aren't. For compression to occur, especially in a tensioned bicycle wheel, tension has to be zero and vice versa.

Additionally, there is also nothing to "compress" when it comes to a spoke. Put a single spoke in a rim (or piece of rim) and hang a hub from it. Hold on to the rim and turn it upside down. The hub will fall through the rim along the spoke until the hub hits the rim. The end of the spoke doesn't "stand" on anything so it can't be compressed.
I have yet to see a one wire spoke wheel. What are you talking about?
Old 03-30-20, 07:06 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Your going to need a source other than the one that has been raked over the coals by Hambini. Otherwise I have violated rule number two.
So you didn't follow the links?
Old 03-31-20, 03:07 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by brooklyn6640
Hi, what is bearings preload ?and to do this befor mounting the cranks? this tool is for Shimano only .thank,s
https://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/bb-adjust.html
Old 03-31-20, 03:21 PM
davidad

[QUOTE=seb1466;21187328]Think of the spoke as a brake cable - works in tension but not in compression. The lowering of tension does not create compression only relaxation into the untensioned state. The change in the level of spoke tension is the result of elastic deformation of the component parts under load (rim and spokes).

Can't compare brake or shift cables because they don't work in tensions as high as a spoke.
Old 03-31-20, 03:25 PM
davidad

Follow the links in the Flo statement. https://flocycling.com/blogs/blog/fl...ni-accusations
https://www.hambini.com/testing-to-f...icycle-wheels/
Old 04-02-20, 12:19 PM
davidad

What do you think it means when Josh Poertner writes, "He claims they did it, but from my experience this just isn't possible for a number of reasons, ... ?" If you look there's a lot more in that thread.
https://www.hambini.com/hambini-vs-flo-cycling/
Old 04-03-20, 07:30 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
Uh.... wasn’t Jobst Brandt the one who thought spokes act like pillars in compression when under load? And wrote a book saying that? He said that the wheel load was carried by the bottom few spokes. I’m 99.9% sure that’s a load of bull because there exist spokes that are literally string..
Brandt was right about most things, and nothing like as rude as Hambini.

I didn't agree with everything he said by any means but just to be clear he was a great guy and knew what he was talking about, and his book about wheels is rightly considered a classic.
​​

​​​​
Old 04-03-20, 10:40 AM
smashndash

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Allez Sprint Comp

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 850 Post(s)
Liked 344 Times in 247 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
Brandt was right about most things, and nothing like as rude as Hambini.

I didn't agree with everything he said by any means but just to be clear he was a great guy and knew what he was talking about, and his book about wheels is rightly considered a classic.
​​

​​​​
I think a little (or a lot of) rudeness is justified. There is a large population of disillusioned cyclists who have spent a lot of money on bikes only to receive crap. This industry is filled with incompetent and dishonest people. The “journalists” just regurgitate what the marketers (wanketeers) say and try to convince us that these multi-thousand dollar bikes are totally worth the price.

The time for politeness is over. If you think the only reason why Hambini’s “rudeness” is appealing is that we are a bunch of immature children, you are quite mistaken.

Last edited by smashndash; 04-03-20 at 05:55 PM.
Likes For smashndash:
Old 04-03-20, 03:44 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
The time for politeness is over. If you think the only reason why Hambini’s “rudeness” is appealing is that we are a bunch of immature children, you are quite mistaken.
Agree. It's a bit of both for me. He is funny in an immature kind of way but the defects on some of those bikes are shocking when you consider how marked up they are.
Old 04-05-20, 01:17 PM
davidad

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Here's a small clue that is consistently ignored by the ostriches who attempt to debate the spoke question: bike spokes have been replaced with strings and the wheel functioned as normal.

For anyone who really wants to understand rather than cling to a known false premiss for comfort sake, just do what Brandt refused to do: construct a free body diagram of a bicycle spoke.
It doesn't matter what the spokes are made of. A spoked wheel is a complete structure with parts that work to carry a load from the axle to the ground. The load pushes on the spokes and in the case of wire or carbon fiber or Kevlar lower the tension by compression.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.