Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Riding Sunglasses for my fat head

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-20, 06:05 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts

I go through about a pair of cheap sunglasses a year cycling. I got a xxl head size (wear a 7 5/8 or 7 3/4 hat) and most glasses are too tight on me,

anyone recommend a wider pair of cycling sunglasses?

Edit: I’m sorta interested in those fuller face shield ones that I’ve been seeing around. Maybe something like these:

https://www.amazon.com/X-TIGER-Polar...58&sr=8-5&th=1

Last edited by Toadmeister; 03-16-20 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-16-20, 06:39 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
I picked up a Giro Air Attack helmet with the face shield about three years ago and I've worn it ever since. I got a little more air on my eyes with it at first, but I adapted well to it and don't notice it anymore. I really like not having frames blocking any of my peripheral vision, or lenses getting sweat on them or fogging up. I'm pretty happy with the helmet. I've got a clear shield for it for those times I end up doing a night ride, but I generally ride during daylight using the shaded shield.
Old 03-16-20, 09:29 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Originally Posted by SethAZ
I picked up a Giro Air Attack helmet with the face shield about three years ago and I've worn it ever since. I got a little more air on my eyes with it at first, but I adapted well to it and don't notice it anymore. I really like not having frames blocking any of my peripheral vision, or lenses getting sweat on them or fogging up. I'm pretty happy with the helmet. I've got a clear shield for it for those times I end up doing a night ride, but I generally ride during daylight using the shaded shield.
Not what I originally had in mind but a pretty cool option for longer road rides. When it’s time for me to get a new helmet I will consider that!
Old 03-16-20, 10:45 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Toadmeister
Not what I originally had in mind but a pretty cool option for longer road rides. When it’s time for me to get a new helmet I will consider that!
I found that on my longer rides, in warm or hot weather, with a high level of effort I was getting tons of sweat and whatnot on my normal sunglasses, and I really wanted an unobstructed field of view. I've been really happy with this helmet. If I really want to wear sunglasses anyhow the visor is held on with magnets so it pops right off, and if I want it with me but still wear shades I can mount the visor "upside down" so it sticks up on the helmet but is out of the way. I've never done that, though, since I'm satisfied with just riding around with the visor.
Old 03-17-20, 08:42 AM
Toadmeister

I'm wonder if there are aftermarket/add on versions of the visor you can magnet to your helmet?

I shall engage my Google-Fu skills
Old 03-17-20, 11:43 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
I have the same size head and oakley shades are perfect for me. I typically only buy them when I find them on super sale somewhere, so they're still not gas station priced but I can deal with $70.
Likes For TrojanHorse: