Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever really Regressed?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 03-26-20, 08:40 PM
dkyser

Bikes: 19 Gunnar Hyper-X Ultegra Disk, 17 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

I had a horrible year last year, moved to Nashville for a good part of the year and not only didnt cycle but gained some weight back.
I was up to 50-mile rides in 2018 and fear I will be really bad this year. I am about to find out and get back in the saddle.
Old 03-27-20, 03:49 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 104 Posts
It happens with everyone I think at one time or another. Last year was a bad one for me but with baby steps we will eventually get back to where we want to be. I constantly put 5000-6000 KM/year on my bikes and last year only did ~1800. So far this year I have ~1400. When I first got back in the saddle it truly refreshed my outlook and helped my mental well being.
Old 03-27-20, 07:59 AM
dkyser

Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
It happens with everyone I think at one time or another. Last year was a bad one for me but with baby steps we will eventually get back to where we want to be. I constantly put 5000-6000 KM/year on my bikes and last year only did ~1800. So far this year I have ~1400. When I first got back in the saddle it truly refreshed my outlook and helped my mental well being.
Exactly what I need to do, get back in the saddle. I kept saying I don't have time for a long ride, its to cold, all the excuses in the world. Now I probably won't have to worry about having lots of time LOL.
Old 03-27-20, 08:42 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Really regressed. Yes, that would be a good way to put it. The excuses come easy. It's funny in that once I get myself together and out on the bike I almost always have a good time. In spite of that I can't seem to get over the excuses part.

I was at the heaviest of my life after my accident in '07. I came back to cycling and got myself in arguably the best shape of my life. Got away from it and now am right on the verge of being the heaviest of my life, again, and certainly the worst shape I have ever been in. I work from home, seldom have reason to leave and cannot seem to get the gumption together to ride. Lol, I even set up a bike and trainer area in the garage with an old TV mounted to watch videos while I ride....I was going to get out and do that every few days. I haven't touched a bike this year since Jan.
Likes For Juan Foote:
Old 03-27-20, 09:03 AM
dkyser

Originally Posted by Juan Foote
Really regressed. Yes, that would be a good way to put it. The excuses come easy. It's funny in that once I get myself together and out on the bike I almost always have a good time. In spite of that I can't seem to get over the excuses part.

I was at the heaviest of my life after my accident in '07. I came back to cycling and got myself in arguably the best shape of my life. Got away from it and now am right on the verge of being the heaviest of my life, again, and certainly the worst shape I have ever been in. I work from home, seldom have reason to leave and cannot seem to get the gumption together to ride. Lol, I even set up a bike and trainer area in the garage with an old TV mounted to watch videos while I ride....I was going to get out and do that every few days. I haven't touched a bike this year since Jan.
Lets change that, it is so good for us mentally. I will ride today even if a short ride to get that feeling again.
Likes For dkyser:
Old 03-27-20, 12:58 PM
Sertsa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 164 Times in 67 Posts
I have in the past. I can point to a few contributing factors, like a bad accident, botched surgery, depression, jobs spending hours seated, assorted life curveballs, and the like, but the main factor was my making poor decisions. So this time I've focused on a full diet and lifestyle change that I can stick to long term as well as breaking a lot of bad habits (like snacking while working at a computer and relying on fast, ready-to-eat, and highly processed foods).

Also, I keep reminding myself that the past cannot be changed. The best I can do is make decisions now that I won't regret later.
Old 03-27-20, 03:22 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
Also, I keep reminding myself that the past cannot be changed. The best I can do is make decisions now that I won't regret later.
Word. So true.

Speaking of regressed, I regressed last week, big time. I'd just come off an absolutely brutal regime during January and February that allowed me to get in the best shape I'd been in during the last ten years, attend an Army school, and post the best weigh-in and physical fitness test I've had in a decade. I barely made it out of that base when the next day a travel ban came down. I got home to the world apparently coming to an end. We went food shopping, and while we didn't panic-buy we did pick up an extra week's worth of stuff to give us a little wider margin in case things truly hit the fan. This included things I haven't eaten in months, like corn chips, bread, etc. So, of course, I ate them. It wasn't just me falling off the wagon I'd been riding the last couple of months; it was me lurching to my feet, positioning myself on the edge of the wagon, and diving off head first.

What's helped me pull back from that self-destructive, and more than likely anxiety-driven behavior (I mean, the world's coming to an end, what you gonna do, not eat those chips?) is the reminder of how much progress I've made so far this year, and a deep hatred of the idea that I'd just fall apart and throw that all away.

As far as regression goes, 11 years ago I was 380 lbs. Recently I'm more like 255. Over the last ten years I've gone up and down, wildly at times, in a range of approximately 265 to 290 or even higher for a few brief periods. There's been plenty of regression interspersed with me getting my crap together again, followed by regression, getting my crap together, etc.

Well, having gotten back down to 255ish recently, which is the lowest I've been in a decade, I'm determined that this is the year I not only don't regress again, but keep pushing and get down to the 230s. I can't do anything to uncommit the caloric sins of last week, but I can get out on my bike today, for the 9th time over the last 12 days, and do right by my body and try to regain my downward weight momentum.

That's all I've got here. Well, that and one more thing: there is no tomorrow, only today. Every one of the exercise plans I've ever created for myself has only worked if I started it the day I created it. Every plan I've ever created and decided "I'll start tomorrow" has failed. If you're going to do it, then prove it to yourself by doing it today. It's the only thing that works for me, anyway. YMMV.
Likes For SethAZ:
Old 03-28-20, 10:12 AM
cookingjnj

Bikes: 2008 Specialized Allez Elite

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 10 Posts
That's all I've got here. Well, that and one more thing: there is no tomorrow, only today. Every one of the exercise plans I've ever created for myself has only worked if I started it the day I created it. Every plan I've ever created and decided "I'll start tomorrow" has failed. If you're going to do it, then prove it to yourself by doing it today. It's the only thing that works for me, anyway. YMMV.

Words so true Seth. Thanks for pointing that out for all of us, or at least for me!
Likes For cookingjnj:
Old 03-29-20, 10:47 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
It happens to almost everyone. I have regressed many times. To a certain extent it happens every year, though obviously after a long layoff or after putting on a bunch of weight, it is worse. Try to put your previous personal bests in the back of your mind for now and just focus on getting better now.
Old 03-30-20, 02:37 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Happens to all of us I think ---------- i'll share again what was formerly my most embarrassing (in my eyes) series of pics from a track race 2 years ago -- I knew I was overweight , but didn't know how much (oh, I knew the numbers on the scale) - I just didn't realize what a clown show I had turned into until I saw the pictures a few days later

I was at my absolute heaviest in these pics - about 335- - these pics, and meeting a woman who was a positive influence - were turning points for me - I still have a ways to go but I am now 65 pounds lighter -- and the goal is to lose another 50 - I will backslide back into drinking too much beer at times and that is when my weight loss stops, --

But the morale of this story and why I share it is I was woefully out of shape and I knew that I would be hitting the boards with (literally ) world class level racers and it would potentially be demoralizing if I let it , ---- but I decided to get weird and get out there again and start spinning laps in anger

So get weird I say! Get out in those pretty Tennessee hills and spin some miles - embrace how much it sucks because soon enough you'll be a bit lighter and -- as Lemond said - "It will still suck, but you go faster ! " -- LOL

And I personally take odd pleasure in making every ride a sufferfest, but if that's not your bag, - enjoy yourself and make a goal of doing some destination rides !

We all go through those time periods where its hard to get out the door and pedal, and some days its ok to just do something else , - but the bike is there for you when you need it
Old 03-30-20, 07:28 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Amazing how seeing a picture of yourself can bring clarity to your situation. For some reason the mirror doesn't have the same impact.
Likes For TrojanHorse:
Old 04-01-20, 09:01 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Amazing how seeing a picture of yourself can bring clarity to your situation. For some reason the mirror doesn't have the same impact.
Ain't that the truth. I will see a number on the scale, but somehow looking at myself in the mirror just isn't the same. But seeing myself in a picture, especially wearing cycling kit is a wakeup call because it leaves nothing to the imagination.
Likes For MRT2:
Old 04-01-20, 11:05 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
Ain't that the truth. I will see a number on the scale, but somehow looking at myself in the mirror just isn't the same. But seeing myself in a picture, especially wearing cycling kit is a wakeup call because it leaves nothing to the imagination.

Youre not just whistling Dixie -- LOL
Likes For DMC707:
Old 04-03-20, 11:55 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by dkyser
Lets change that, it is so good for us mentally. I will ride today even if a short ride to get that feeling again.
I was only a little late.

You remember when you were a kid, riding around in circles from the driveway to a couple of houses up the street?
I just went and did that for about an hour. It was much better than doom and gloom on the tube.
Old 04-16-20, 09:44 PM
InTheRain

Bikes: 2007 Rocky Mountain Sherpa 30 (bionx), 2015 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Ultegra

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
Major life event for me caused major regression. I went from cycle commuting to work each day to a 2:30 hr commute each way. Office closed and moved to Seattle. I couldn't afford to move (nor do I want to live in King County) so I'm stuck with the commute... and practically zero cycling. It's been refreshing to get back on the bike since I've been teleworking for the last month. I got back on the bike two weeks ago. 13 miles was a struggle. 17 miles this evening wasn't too challenging. However, it was about the same physical effort I used for a 50 mile ride 18 months ago. We'll see if the teleworking lasts - I'd love to continue to make improvements in my cardio fitness and get back to cycling on a regular basis.
Old 04-17-20, 04:50 AM
raphec

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Totally regressed - i mean i was big before - up til august 2019, i had been averaging about 90km a week for a year. While I weighed around 140kg, i was building up longer rides, with my longest being over 60km.

Then August, did a 2 week holiday to japan, came back, mum passed away, 4 weeks later my stepdad passed away. Then renovations at the office put showers out of commission so i couldnt ride to work. After that it became a series of excuses til people at work enrolled me in the bike leg of a corporate triathlon at the end of Feb. 2 weeks before that, finally got back on the bike, and while it hurt, got back into riding to the office, which i continued til mid March - then all of a sudden we are now all working from home.

See my other post about fear of getting on my trainer at my current weight. Need to figure some motivation out, but its being really hard to get any.
Old 04-17-20, 02:50 PM
chadtrent

Bikes: 2020 Canyon Endurace CF SL

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 47 Posts
I'm in the middle of a regression right now. Got sick in February (respiratory infection, not the covid). Took about three weeks to kick it but somewhere along the line I reaggrivated an old hockey injury and my back is in bad shape. I guess from all the coughing. Still working through that. Gained probably 15 pounds because all I've done is sit around the house and eat. Luckily my wife and I are still employed. If either of our jobs get shut down it's going to be bad news for the general public. But I haven't ridden in two months, and I really feel it. A couple days ago I got my bike out and rode around the neighborhood and it killed me. This time last year I was training for my first century and averaging 50-60 miles each ride. Now I feel like I'm starting over. But I will get there.