Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike carrier security

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike carrier security

Old 09-02-22, 12:38 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 351 Times in 177 Posts
Bike carrier security

I bought a used Thule carrier so I can go ride on some nearby bike paths. This is a trunk carrier held on with straps.
Should I remove it and put it in the trunk while riding or do these not get stolen often enough to bother?
Old 09-02-22, 02:05 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2595 Post(s)
Liked 1,923 Times in 1,207 Posts
I never worried about it when I had a carrier like that, but I never went riding on bike paths near Fort Worth. Like all other crime statistics, the answer will depend on where you are. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the crime rate in your area.
Likes For pdlamb:
Old 09-02-22, 05:59 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Thanks. I was just curious if carrier theft was a general problem.
In scuba diving several divers have had their cars broken into while diving.
Old 09-02-22, 06:11 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 1,692 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by pepperbelly
Thanks. I was just curious if carrier theft was a general problem.
In scuba diving several divers have had their cars broken into while diving.
If someone breaks into your car while you are cycling they might steal your rack anyway. Are you able to carry your bike inside your car? You wouldn't need a rack in that case. Years ago, I carried 2 road bikes inside my VW Passat when traveling for a 1 week vacation with a friend along with all the luggage we needed for 7 days. If I am going for a day ride I always carry my bike inside the car
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 09-02-22, 08:14 PM
Mojo31
-------

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
I bought a used Thule carrier so I can go ride on some nearby bike paths. This is a trunk carrier held on with straps.
Should I remove it and put it in the trunk while riding or do these not get stolen often enough to bother?
Where will you be parking? If at Clear Fork trailhead, probably not. If at the park on University, probably so. Gotta know the hood.
Old 09-02-22, 08:44 PM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Mojo31
Where will you be parking? If at Clear Fork trailhead, probably not. If at the park on University, probably so. Gotta know the hood.
At first I want to ride the loop around Marine Creek Lake. If I do ride the Trinity trail I will probably hide it.

The bike will fit in the trunk if I remove both wheels. That is why I bought the carrier.
Old 09-02-22, 08:58 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
I leave my bike rack (carrier) on my car all the time, except in the winter. It has a locking hitch pin, and I have not ha any issues with damage or attempted theft. I've used my hitch racks this way for over over 8 years, and my roof racks for 20+ years. A trunk rack is probably not as secure, and could be a problem.

Last edited by Doug64; 09-02-22 at 09:03 PM.
Old 09-03-22, 07:59 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9648 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
At first I want to ride the loop around Marine Creek Lake. If I do ride the Trinity trail I will probably hide it.

The bike will fit in the trunk if I remove both wheels. That is why I bought the carrier.
I see people leave them on the car at River Legacy. A friend with a trunk rack has never lost his. Probably just need to be aware of where you are. I wouldn’t think they are a big target for thieves since they generally don’t have much black market value.
Likes For Mojo31:
Old 09-03-22, 11:49 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
The answer is pretty simple. Can you get your bike home without the rack?

If you can, and having the rack stolen will not be a major inconvenience to your budget, I imagine even a Thule trunk rack is not cheap, then don't lock it.

If you can't get the bike home, then you should probably remove it.

At the very least, I'd get a Thule lock strap so it will take a bit longer to take the rack off.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 09-03-22, 07:37 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
If it is a trunk rack make sure all of the straps and connections are in good shape, the rack is less of a bike carrier and more of a safety device if it fails those bikes could go flying into someone else's window or something and cause grave damage. If everything is good on it make sure it is installed properly and regularly checked.

In terms of leaving it on or off the car I would leave it on for a day while I am out riding but would make sure to take it off regularly and store it inside away from damaging UV rays and extreme temperatures.
Old 09-04-22, 08:32 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
You're talking about the ones that clip into the edge of the open tailgate and then are held in place with straps?
If so, they are going to be pretty hard to steal without breaking in the car first or damaging the straps, and they aren't really expensive new so unlikely to be worth much used even without damage. The bigger risk is that someone may try and cut the straps to steal the bike, if the bike is locked onto the rack.

If it's a towball mounted one, Thule do a barrel lock for about $20 that'll prevent it being removed, which is worth it because they would otherwise just screw off. To be honest I don't know why they don't already come with it fitted as most other brands do.
Old 09-04-22, 09:39 AM
pepperbelly
old newbie

Originally Posted by Herzlos
You're talking about the ones that clip into the edge of the open tailgate and then are held in place with straps?
If so, they are going to be pretty hard to steal without breaking in the car first or damaging the straps, and they aren't really expensive new so unlikely to be worth much used even without damage. The bigger risk is that someone may try and cut the straps to steal the bike, if the bike is locked onto the rack.

If it's a towball mounted one, Thule do a barrel lock for about $20 that'll prevent it being removed, which is worth it because they would otherwise just screw off. To be honest I don't know why they don't already come with it fitted as most other brands do.
It attaches to the trunk lid with straps.
I was concerned about someone stealing it while I was on my bike. I won’t be leaving my bike on it.

Last edited by pepperbelly; 09-04-22 at 05:13 PM.
Old 09-04-22, 09:45 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1084 Post(s)
Liked 855 Times in 484 Posts
The hitch mounted racks are pretty expensive and some thieves know that. I’ve heard of those getting stolen.

The trunk rack you’ve got isn’t worth much and certainly won’t bring much cash at a pawnshop or whatever. It’s probably fine.
Likes For rosefarts:
Old 09-04-22, 11:00 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
If someone breaks into your car while you are cycling they might steal your rack anyway. Are you able to carry your bike inside your car? You wouldn't need a rack in that case. Years ago, I carried 2 road bikes inside my VW Passat when traveling for a 1 week vacation with a friend along with all the luggage we needed for 7 days. If I am going for a day ride I always carry my bike inside the car
Sherwin Williams sells the best bike racks for only about $10.00. They call them painter's canvas drop cloths.
Old 09-04-22, 12:58 PM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 894 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 362 Posts
it attaches to the trunk lid wi the straps.
I was concerned about someone stealing it while I was on my bike. I won’t be leaving my bike on it.
I wouldn't worry about it then, you're probably more likely to get your bike stolen whilst putting the rack back together. If you can get the bike in the car in an emergency, then worst case is you need to buy a new rack later.
Likes For Herzlos: