Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bottom bracket Peugeot

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bottom bracket Peugeot

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-22, 10:56 AM
Sorin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 14 Posts
Wow, that is a really hack tool with that bolt, and he is wright, as i reading i always keep thinking i could damage the cup with the washers . I will try that in a few days after i soak it more in WD40 , and maybe with also apply some heat . Thank you again!
Old 10-02-22, 09:25 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by Sorin
Wow, that is a really hack tool with that bolt, and he is wright, as i reading i always keep thinking i could damage the cup with the washers . I will try that in a few days after i soak it more in WD40 , and maybe with also apply some heat . Thank you again!
Bottom bracket cups are hardened steel; hardware store washers generally are not hardened. The risk of cup damage is minimal.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-02-22, 11:16 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
First things first, even if just removing old stuff to replace it: Sorin needs to determine whether the fixed cup is left-hand (English or Swiss) or right-hand (French or Italian) thread to remove it. By the way, if it's in good shape (clean it in place, and inspect with a strong light) and you don't plan to replace the bottom bracket, then why remove it?

I suggest that having done the above, if you've determined that you must remove it, you take it to a bike shop, make sure they know if it's right-hand thread, and let them do it with proper tools. And invest in a wrench that fits the fixed cup (not an adjustable type) for the future, or you will always be at the mercy of a bike shop. You need to get it (or whatever replaces it) back on too, and make it extremely tight, especially in the case of Italian and French, where the bearings' precession force works to unscrew the fixed cup unless it's really reefed down; and even with left-hand threaded ones, you don't want it tightening more in use, messing up the bearing adjustment.
Likes For Charles Wahl:
Old 10-02-22, 11:33 AM
Sorin

You are right , i have inspected and doesn't seems affected and i was wanted to remove it because is last piece from the frame except headset cups which i don't intend to remove. I am in the procces of restauration a PA10L from '75 - mean clean, polish, lube, put back and ride . I don't know is i need to spin CW or CCW for the fix cup. I was going in like 3 bike service and nobody had propper tool. Is between 37 and 38mm diameter - i didn't even see online that tool. In the end maybe i will not remove it , just when maybe is the time to replace whole bb, or maybe repaint the frame .
Old 10-03-22, 08:15 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
If the plan is to re-use the stock parts, I would just clean the fixed cup in place and reassemble with fresh grease and bearings.
Old 10-03-22, 11:13 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

You are right , i have inspected and doesn't seems affected and i was wanted to remove it because is last piece from the frame except headset cups which i don't intend to remove.
The only compelling reasons to remove the fixed cup are to replace it if it is damaged, or if you're repainting the frame. If you've already decided to leave the headset cup in place, why not the fixed cup as well?

I don't know is i need to spin CW or CCW for the fix cup.
Have you figured out the thread type yet? Responses above may help with that.

I was going in like 3 bike service and nobody had propper tool. Is between 37 and 38mm diameter - i didn't even see online that tool. In the end maybe i will not remove it , just when maybe is the time to replace whole bb, or maybe repaint the frame .
The VAR #30 with the 30/2 jaw is designed for that size. This is an expensive, shop-quality tool and most shops only bother with the 30/1 jaw, as that fits the vast majority of fixed cups they're likely to encounter. Your best bet would be to take it to an old, well-established shop that has this tool.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
var30.jpg (127.1 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by JohnDThompson; 10-03-22 at 11:16 AM.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 10-03-22, 11:42 AM
Sorin

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
The only compelling reasons to remove the fixed cup are to replace it if it is damaged, or if you're repainting the frame. If you've already decided to leave the headset cup in place, why not the fixed cup as well?

Have you figured out the thread type yet? Responses above may help with that.

The VAR #30 with the 30/2 jaw is designed for that size. This is an expensive, shop-quality tool and most shops only bother with the 30/1 jaw, as that fits the vast majority of fixed cups they're likely to encounter. Your best bet would be to take it to an old, well-established shop that has this tool.
I have leave the headset there cause i don't have the proper tool at home to put them back

Thread? Italian or French?

Nice tool, i don't think i will find one in any bike shop i have arround so be it, fixed cup will stay there until will be damaged and need to be replaced .
Old 10-04-22, 10:10 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Thread? Italian or French?
You can distinguish Italian from French thread by measuring the inside diameter of the shell threads (or the outside diameter of the threaded portion of the cup): Italian will be 36mm, French will be 35mm.