Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Thinking of no longer riding on roads

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-22-18, 06:38 PM
astrodust

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

I've been building my confidence and skill on riding with traffic for a few years and wondering if it is sane to be on the road with cars

I do monthly rides and other group rides, and for the second year I've done g.o.b.a
(great Ohio bike adventure). Goba is a 7 day bike ride with 50 plus miles a day.
This year I experienced people passing (I believe intensionley) close to me and other riders. Drivers screaming, and one guy rolling coal as he passed rider after rider. I bailed out the last day. I Found out that the same day a 80 year old rider was killed by a pickup at a intersection. Not the first time someone has died during goba. My girlfriend rides too, and the thought of losing scares me
why do we do this??
Likes For astrodust:
Old 06-22-18, 07:40 PM
raria

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I understand

I try to avoid roads and prefer mups. Mups have their own dangers but at least no pick ups.
Likes For raria:
Old 06-22-18, 07:48 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Gravel or mountain biking might give you a nice alternative.
Old 06-22-18, 08:17 PM
brianmcg123

Bikes: 2013 Trek Madone; 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 35 Posts
More people died from slipping in a bath tub than from being hit by a car riding a bike. Everything you do is a risk.
Likes For brianmcg123:
Old 06-22-18, 08:42 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
I try to avoid heavily trafficked roads, but almost all my riding is done on public roads. Fortunately, mostly on back country roads that don't have lots of traffic. There's no way I'd be able to ride nearly as much as I do if I have to load up the bike(s) on a rack and drive 30 minutes or more (each way) to get to a MUP.

As others have stated, everything in life is a risk, and while I want to minimize my risk, I'm not willing to give up riding on public roads.

Last edited by Rje58; 06-22-18 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-22-18, 08:54 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 292 Posts
Do what you need to do. Ride where you want to ride.

But never stop riding.
Old 06-22-18, 09:05 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
do what you need to do. Ride where you want to ride.

But never stop riding.
+1
Old 06-23-18, 12:13 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1063 Post(s)
Liked 771 Times in 499 Posts
What ever floats one's boat.

In about 45 minutes I'm on the road. Hardly a car will be around.
Old 06-23-18, 08:27 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 77 Posts
I might be reading into your comment about the 80 year old that was killed at an intersection since it implied to me that you were surprised it was at an intersection. Intersections are among the most dangerous places for cyclists.
If you have not taken the time to study safe biking practices, I think it would be helpful. Learning where/how accidents happen, would be helpful to raise your awareness when reaching a high accident situation. Self teaching is on line with the Bike League. You can also take their LCI course or an online course with Cycle Savvy.. Just another thought, while I read research that colorful clothing is really not more noticeable, I have found (without data) that when I where a vest that says 3 foot passing is the law, seems to influence motorist driving practices. I purchased it from the Bicycling Federation of WI

As for the motorists who are jerks, they simply exist. Wish I had some thoughts about that.
Old 06-23-18, 09:26 AM
salcedo

Bikes: Specialized Allez, Trek CrossRip

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123
More people died from slipping in a bath tub than from being hit by a car riding a bike. Everything you do is a risk.
This. Cycling feels riskier than it is. Many activities that you do are riskier than they feel.

For example, living a sedentary life sitting on your couch all day is way more dangerous than being out on the road.
Old 06-23-18, 02:13 PM
jack k
Avid commuter

Bikes: A fast one, a fun one, a utilitarian one.

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by astrodust
I've been building my confidence and skill on riding with traffic for a few years and wondering if it is sane to be on the road with cars

I do monthly rides and other group rides, and for the second year I've done g.o.b.a
(great Ohio bike adventure). Goba is a 7 day bike ride with 50 plus miles a day.
This year I experienced people passing (I believe intensionley) close to me and other riders. Drivers screaming, and one guy rolling coal as he passed rider after rider. I bailed out the last day. I Found out that the same day a 80 year old rider was killed by a pickup at a intersection. Not the first time someone has died during goba. My girlfriend rides too, and the thought of losing scares me
why do we do this??
Time of day matters, as does location. Until recently I was working 4pm-midnight; when I left the house at 3pm I would take either the trail or the neighborhoods to work whereas on the way back I would take the main arteries home. When traffic is heavy drivers tend to get competitive with each other which leads to unsafe driving practices; every incident/close call I have ever been a part of or witnessed happened during broad daylight with typical city traffic. When riding at midnight, however, people tended to pay closer attention, drove much nicer, and gave me plenty of room. I'm not saying that you should start driving at midnight, but rather just alter your rides and times to avoid the kind of traffic that is causing you problems. Trails and paths are great, but you can't go wide open and you lose variability. I generally stay on a rail-to-trial path to and from work - especially after an incident with a distracted driver that left me with a broken bone from which I am still recovering - but I sorely miss being able to mix up my rides, take the hills, and enjoy the city.
Old 06-25-18, 05:34 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18320 Post(s)
Liked 15,289 Times in 7,228 Posts
Having done several supported tours like GOBA, I have to wonder whether motorist hostility may have been caused by pack mentality. I also have to wonder whether that 80 Y.O. man did something stupid. I once did something stupid at an intersection during a charity ride and almost got nailed by a pickup. 100% my fault.
Old 06-25-18, 06:47 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Having done several supported tours like GOBA, I have to wonder whether motorist hostility may have been caused by pack mentality. I also have to wonder whether that 80 Y.O. man did something stupid. I once did something stupid at an intersection during a charity ride and almost got nailed by a pickup. 100% my fault.
I'm not about to stop riding on the roads after more than 50 years, but I won't ride in large training groups anymore because of the risks associated with pissing drivers off. I seem to do a good enough job of it on my own and the "pack mentality" breeds aggression. Too many idiots on both sides of the bumper.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 06-25-18, 06:49 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by brianmcg123

No one died here from slipping in a bath tub. 3 veteran cyclists were hit-and-run-and-killed in the last year alone near My Fair City on the roads. One was a racer, race organizer, and all around great guy.

Between increasingly incompetent drivers, dangerously distracted driving, outright unprovoked abuse, and the dangers....paved road riding is increasingly not fun anymore. Two year back I saw a soccer mom with a full-van of kids driving with her knees while her thumbs and eyes were staring into oblivion at the phone on her steering wheel. Didn't even care enough about her OWN KIDS (and probably others) to drive.
Old 06-25-18, 07:04 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Living is dangerous.
Old 06-25-18, 08:39 AM
Dyskolos

Bikes: 2013 Giant Defy Composite 2 and 2016 Giant AnyRoad CoMax

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I came to that conclusion after being hit by a car last month. I was doing everything right, time of day, low traffic, very bright lights front and back, High-visibility clothing and shoes, mirror and rear radar, good lane position, etc. but it simply didn't matter. The driver changed lanes into me and "never saw me" as he was distracted by his phone.

I had ridden this same route at the same time-of-day over 350 times in the past four years without incident, but it simply didn't matter. In addition to the risk of injury, I had become very weary of the constant contention, so I am honoring my family's wishes and staying off of roads. We have a good greenway system in my area and I am taking advantage of it.

Last edited by Dyskolos; 06-25-18 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-25-18, 08:49 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
I think some parts of the US are worse than others
Old 06-25-18, 01:33 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I unfortunately have not much choice in my North NJ to Manhattan (and vice-versa) commute. I have altered my route here and there. But some of the larger roads cannot be avoided entirely. If you feel more comfortable riding a MUP (if there is one) or even the sidewalk, then do so. For example, I still ride the sidewalk for two blocks on Polifly Rd in Hackensack, NJ right before (and under) the Rt 80 overpass. There's typically a lot of traffic there since cars and trucks are getting off of the highway and onto this road. It makes me feel more comfortable and I don't have to contend with the traffic there as much.
Old 06-25-18, 02:27 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
Living is dangerous.
Nobody gets out alive.
Old 06-25-18, 02:52 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked 2,739 Times in 1,498 Posts
OP's choice, but a lot like people who won't go in the ocean because of sharks (waves and undertow are what people should worry about) but will drive a dangerous road to get to the sand to sit in the sun increasing their melanoma chances.

Old 06-25-18, 03:46 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Cycling is not for everyone. Sure... some people may find cycling happiness with a NON-road cycling sport.... and that's fine too. But an element of danger exists in virtually every sport, (and in everything actually). I don't know the exact amount of danger involved with road cycling... or even how to quantify specific levels of danger. I ride about 2000 miles a years with about 60% of those miles (1200) being in mostly city traffic. Rarely do I ever have what might be considered a "close call". And I haven't actually hit a car... since I was a kid (it was my fault).

I honestly don't know (or really care)… how my choice of sport (road cycling) compares in accident/injury rates as compared to other sport/activities normally pursued by old retired men my age. I do try to ride and behave responsibility. I have NO death wish. But I don't really care to impose some conjured-up safety bubble on myself either. After all, this is road cycling were discussing here. Not motorcycle racing, doing drugs, rodeo bull riding, base jumping, or fight club (because we wouldn't post about fight club).
Old 06-25-18, 03:59 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
Nobody gets out alive.
Yep.
Old 06-25-18, 04:00 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Originally Posted by squirtdad
OP's choice, but a lot like people who won't go in the ocean because of sharks (waves and undertow are what people should worry about) but will drive a dangerous road to get to the sand to sit in the sun increasing their melanoma chances.
There is that too.
Old 06-25-18, 04:20 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad

Difference being...you do things right and smart...no you won't get attacked by sharks, and no you (most likely) won't get melanoma.

You can, and do, do everything right cycling on paved roads (obeying the letter and spirit of the law)....you will get verbal abuse hurled at you on a daily basis, you will have your life threatened, and odds are if you get hurt/killed the perp will get away without punishment. By the gene lottery I'm fortunate being a guy--I get half the verbal abuse I know some women cyclists get hurled at them.
Old 06-25-18, 04:36 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 2303 Post(s)
Liked 2,739 Times in 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Difference being...you do things right and smart...no you won't get attacked by sharks, and no you (most likely) won't get melanoma.

You can, and do, do everything right cycling on paved roads (obeying the letter and spirit of the law)....you will get verbal abuse hurled at you on a daily basis, you will have your life threatened, and odds are if you get hurt/killed the perp will get away without punishment. By the gene lottery I'm fortunate being a guy--I get half the verbal abuse I know some women cyclists get hurled at them.
Sir, I feel for you if this is your daily experience. My daily experience is much different. In the last 20 years or so, have been yelled at once (and an apple thrown) by some high school punks, and maybe been beeped at once or twice because a motorist had to wait. No swerves or purposeful close calls.

as for the sharks, the only way to avoid 100% is to not get in the ocean, but i choose not to do that. Just like if you want to be 100% sure you are not hit on the road is to not ride on the road, but I also choose not to do that...to me that is not living life. your choices and the OP's choices will differ depending on personal viewpoint

Likes For squirtdad:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.