Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Super glue to patch pin hole flats?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-19, 01:50 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 14 Posts

Hi,

This thread is not about how to prevent flats in the first place, but what are the ramifications of fixing them with just superglue rather than a traditional patch

Where I live there are lots of goat head thorns which leave tiny pin holes in tubes. Removing the tire, tube and patching them takes a bit of time so lately I've been just removing that portion of the tube where the thorn is (they conveniently stay fixed to the tire to locate the hole after which they are removed) and stretching the tube and applying some super glue. Thirty seconds later I pop it back onto the rim and "Bob's your uncle" as they say in England!
So far my tubes have held up quite well.

Anyone else had experience with doing this. Good, bad, ugly experiences are welcome!

Last edited by UsedToBeFaster; 10-28-19 at 02:05 PM.
Old 10-28-19, 01:56 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
So you leave the goat head in? And this process works?

The one downside I see is that if the goathead sticks in the tire and your put the tube back in and the prikker on the goathead pops a new hole.

Back in the day in the shop, we'd remove the tire, invert it, feel carefully for any remaining sharp edges, remove them, and then fix or replace the tube.

Bu to your point, one flat fixing kit for tubeless tires suggests that you superglue any cut on the tire exterior and then patch the inside of the tire.
Old 10-28-19, 02:05 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
So you leave the goat head in? And this process works?
Of course not! It's just so I know where the hole is in the tube. Once the tube is patched I of course remove the goat head and any other debris near the hole.
Old 10-28-19, 02:07 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by UsedToBeFaster
Of course not! It's just so I know where the hole is in the tube. Once the tube is patched I of course remove the goat head and any other debris near the hole.
Don't be so incredulous. I think that in some cases leaving the goat head in might be a good idea (at least for a tubeless tire). If someone stabs you, don't pull the knife out - wait til you get to the hospital and let the doc pull the knife out.
Old 10-28-19, 02:14 PM
AnkleWork

Bikes: old clunker

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked 105 Times in 83 Posts
Great to see this forum getting back in track rather than continued spinning into ever widening spirals of ridiculousness.
Likes For AnkleWork:
Old 10-28-19, 02:19 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Curious what kind of tire and pressure you're running? I'd think the flex of a low pressure would crack the relatively inflexible glue patch, and of course high pressure would be even more difficult for the glue "patch" to hold.
Old 10-28-19, 02:28 PM
UsedToBeFaster

80 PSI in 28mm tires

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Curious what kind of tire and pressure you're running? I'd think the flex of a low pressure would crack the relatively inflexible glue patch, and of course high pressure would be even more difficult for the glue "patch" to hold.
There are various youtube videos on this and I decided to try this after a century and getting a flat on the way home. Couldn't be bothered waiting so did the superglue trick and made it home the last 2 miles.

Then I forgot I did it and road for a few weeks and it was fine.

I'm just using standard tubes not latex or anything fancy.
Old 10-28-19, 02:59 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by AnkleWork
Great to see this forum getting back in track rather than continued spinning into ever widening spirals of ridiculousness.
Ridiculousness is what I live for, AnkleWork.
Likes For WizardOfBoz:
Old 10-29-19, 08:42 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Don't be so incredulous. I think that in some cases leaving the goat head in might be a good idea (at least for a tubeless tire). If someone stabs you, don't pull the knife out - wait til you get to the hospital and let the doc pull the knife out.

Got to disagree. For a regular tube without sealant, this is a fairly good course of action. The goad head acts as a plug and keeps some air in the tube (or tire). But when using sealant...whether in tubes or in tubeless...the sealant is there to plug the hole. If you leave the goat head in place, it flexes and breaks that seal constantly which means that the sealant is just along for the ride. Remove whatever is puncturing a tubeless tire (or sealant filled tube) and let the sealant do its job.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-29-19, 09:31 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Originally Posted by cyccommute
Got to disagree. For a regular tube without sealant, this is a fairly good course of action. The goad head acts as a plug and keeps some air in the tube (or tire). But when using sealant...whether in tubes or in tubeless...the sealant is there to plug the hole. If you leave the goat head in place, it flexes and breaks that seal constantly which means that the sealant is just along for the ride. Remove whatever is puncturing a tubeless tire (or sealant filled tube) and let the sealant do its job.
I was being flip and, hence, unclear. I agree. In any case, once you get back home, you should remove the goat head from the tire and tube (tire inspection most easily done by first removing stuff from the outside of the tire, then inverting the tire inside-out and carefully feeling for any sharp protrusions). The patch the tube and reinstall.

Also I understand it, if you get stabbed, you're supposed to leave the knife in and let the doc take it out. Same reason as the goat head: the knife acts as a plug.
Old 10-29-19, 09:56 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
I was being flip and, hence, unclear. I agree. In any case, once you get back home, you should remove the goat head from the tire and tube (tire inspection most easily done by first removing stuff from the outside of the tire, then inverting the tire inside-out and carefully feeling for any sharp protrusions). The patch the tube and reinstall.
Again, only if you aren't using sealant. And even then it's a risky proposition. The goat head is just about as likely to fall out as it is to stay in.

Also I understand it, if you get stabbed, you're supposed to leave the knife in and let the doc take it out. Same reason as the goat head: the knife acts as a plug.
Yes with the knife and with the goat head in normal situations. But if you had blood that coagulated faster, you'd be better off removing the knife. That's what sealant does. Also...and being a bit graphic and morbid here...leaving the knife in would depend on the knife. If it has blood channels in it, it would be better to remove it so that blood can coagulate. That's somewhat analogous to sealant and goatheads. Removing the goathead would be better so that the sealant could do its job instead of leaving it there so that the seal is constantly broken and reformed.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-31-19, 04:12 AM
Alex Atkinson
mechanic

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Some month ago I bought some tools for my bike and there was a small tube with glue(together with that tools). I dropped it in my cycling bag(just in case) and it's still there. Hope I'll never need it.
Old 10-31-19, 08:28 AM
UsedToBeFaster

2.5 weeks later and still holding 80 PSI

I am just using this bike now for cycling in my neighborhood. So i am going to see how long the super glue holds air.

So far 20 days
Old 10-31-19, 08:53 AM
Tusk

Bikes: 1986 Scwinn Prelude 20?? Motobecane Ti 'Le Champion"

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Atkinson
Some month ago I bought some tools for my bike and there was a small tube with glue(together with that tools). I dropped it in my cycling bag(just in case) and it's still there. Hope I'll never need it.
Sorry, but next time you go out, you will now need it. Let us know how it goes.
Old 10-31-19, 09:06 AM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Alex Atkinson
The patch glue will dry up even if it's never been opened. I'm guessing it would be good for maybe a year.

Glued patches are the most reliable. I'm usually running tubes with a patch, and never worry about them leaking.

I use my spare tube on the road, then save the punctured tube. I'll buy a new patch kit and fix 3-5 tubes at once, at home. When using one of those tubes, or putting it in my bag as a spare, I test it on the bike overnight.

Superglue
I'm very surprised that superglue works at all. It's kind of stiff and brittle. I tried filling small cuts in my tires with superglue, and it popped out on the next ride.

I didn't think that superglue would hold on a stretching tube
Old 11-04-19, 08:29 PM
UsedToBeFaster

Originally Posted by rm -rf
Superglue
I'm very surprised that superglue works at all. It's kind of stiff and brittle. I tried filling small cuts in my tires with superglue, and it popped out on the next ride.

I didn't think that superglue would hold on a stretching tube
I know, but there are lots of youtube videos to patch tube this way and my one (on the front wheel to be clear) is holding on after 3 weeks.
Old 11-04-19, 08:43 PM
Alex Atkinson
mechanic

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I guess, you'r right about superglue