Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Compression Shorts

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-06, 11:56 PM
Colin N.

Bikes: KHS Alite 150

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compression Shorts

Some of you may remember a while ago I started a thread on good lower body clothing to avoid chaffing and what not.

Well my parents got me a nice pair of compression shorts for christmas, but I am a bit confused and kind of embarassed I have to ask this.

Are these to be worn under shorts, or as shorts?
Old 12-30-06, 12:06 AM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 1,734 Times in 1,010 Posts
As I have never worn them, I do believe though that they go under your shorts as they are really designed for support of the muscle, groin, hamstring, ect.

Old 12-30-06, 01:05 AM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not very experienced with cycling clothing as I am primarily a regular clothes commuter. However, if those are just general athletic compression shorts I always wore mine with nothing underneath, but I also know some people who wear whitey-tighteys underneath.
Old 12-30-06, 06:18 AM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Colin N.
Some of you may remember a while ago I started a thread on good lower body clothing to avoid chaffing and what not.

Well my parents got me a nice pair of compression shorts for christmas, but I am a bit confused and kind of embarassed I have to ask this.

Are these to be worn under shorts, or as shorts?
Compression shorts, like Cycling Shorts are meant to be worn "Commando" for reduction in chafing. No embarrassment necessary, we aren't born with a racial memory (unless you are a student of some of Jung's odder theories)

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant
Old 12-30-06, 08:03 AM
Air
Destroyer of Wheels

Bikes: Surly LHT, Dahon folding bike. RIP Nishiki Sport, Downtube IXNS, 1950's MMB3 Russian Folding Bike, MTB

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
And if you're embarrassed the first few rides you can wear another pair of gym shorts over them. You'll also want to use some sort of anti-chaffing substance - Queen Helene's Cocoa Butter Cream is a good cheap one to start out with and your shorts will smell like a thousand nubile coeds on a beach

It's the year of the enema!
Old 12-31-06, 06:11 PM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I wear compression shorts underneath my cycling shorts. Just seems a bit more hygenic to me.
This is Africa, 1943. War spits out its violence overhead and the sandy graveyard swallows it up. Her name is King Nine, B-25, medium bomber, Twelfth Air Force. On a hot, still morning she took off from Tunisia to bomb the southern tip of Italy. An errant piece of flak tore a hole in a wing tank and, like a wounded bird, this is where she landed, not to return on this day, or any other day.
Old 01-01-07, 03:02 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had never run across the term before I saw this thread. So I googled it. Pictures showed the waistband to have a contrasting color like Haynes or BVD. That says "under"wear to me. If my bike shorts are so worn that they fail to support my package I would use them under the shorts.
Old 01-01-07, 02:23 PM
ScrubJ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Compression shorts are typically worn under other shorts. Check out shorts that come with them attached, or watch people leaving their gym. One does not normally wear underwear under compression shorts, much like bike shorts.
Old 01-01-07, 05:31 PM
oldokie

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo, Cannondale SR500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am also unfamiliar with compression shorts so I did my own Google. One site noted that they provide seperation (and protection) between the groin and hamstring muscles.....just like biker shorts do. Appear to be aimed at athletes to help with muscle issues in the groin area. If true, biker shorts already provide that protection and the compression shorts would be redundant if worn under biker shorts.
Anyone else read them as redundant (not necessary) when wearing biker shorts?

As a side note, I have some padded underwear (from Performance) that have a padded groin just like in normal biker shorts. Otherwise, they are light weight fabric like normal underwear....not compression shorts. They are handy to carry on a trip when you might get a chance to ride a bike without taking along all your normal biker gear.
Old 01-02-07, 07:47 PM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wear compression shorts under regular shorts.
Bike shorts ARE compression shorts with cycling specfic padding and cut.
Old 01-05-07, 01:38 AM
willtsmith_nwi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely UNDER!!!!. They're meant to keep things in place ... especially the things between your legs. Think of them as a replacement for the jock strap.
Old 04-24-19, 04:00 AM
romen28

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello there,

Cycling shorts are made from stretchy material — usually a mix of Lycra and nylon — so they move with your as you pedal, preventing you from getting rubbed. Inside a pair of cycling shorts you'll find a pad or liner that provides a bit of cushioning but more importantly is a soft surface that sits against your skin.
Old 04-24-19, 03:45 PM
HeatherIL
Heather IL

Bikes: 89 schwinn caliente, 2019 Cannondale Quick 5

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've read that compression shorts/pants reduce fatigue and boost recovery. They're supposed to help your blood circulate more efficiently so it doesn't pool in your legs. I wear mine as pants but I'm female and it's socially acceptable for me to wear leggings. For guys, I'd say do whatever you're comfortable with. No one worth their salt is going to judge you for wearing bike clothes on a bike.
Old 04-25-19, 09:19 AM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Wow, Holy Thread Revival!!! 12 years from the dead!