Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

last rides before ice

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

last rides before ice

Old 11-13-21, 08:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5218 Post(s)
Liked 3,564 Times in 2,331 Posts
last rides before ice

if you ride winter studs, what are your last rides before they go on?

took the bike out, so I guess I'm going for a ride today. mid-December snow is a blink away, the ice too

edit: got back before the next storm, someone is getting the white stuff ...

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-13-21 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-15-21, 07:35 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 80 Posts
I have a dedicated winter bike (Cannondale H600) which the studs stay on. I use the road bike when I can during the winter here in Minnesota, but the hybrid sees the bulk of the miles Dec-Feb. So in short, there is no final annual studless ride. Last year the hybrid saw action in Oct as we got 8" of that white stuff mid-month that messed up the roads for the road bike a couple of days.
Likes For MNBikeCommuter:
Old 11-16-21, 08:43 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 2,934 Times in 1,809 Posts
Originally Posted by MNBikeCommuter
I have a dedicated winter bike (Cannondale H600) which the studs stay on. I use the road bike when I can during the winter here in Minnesota, but the hybrid sees the bulk of the miles Dec-Feb. So in short, there is no final annual studless ride. Last year the hybrid saw action in Oct as we got 8" of that white stuff mid-month that messed up the roads for the road bike a couple of days.
Agreed. There are lots of times in Minnesota when I think, "that's the end of road bike season", but then the weather and roads improve and out comes the road bike again. But even when the roads clear off (for example, this week, after the bit of ice we had on Sunday), I get wary of bringing out the road bike b/c of the salt remaining on the roads. At one time I used my old road bike (2010 Trek, alloy frame) for these times of the year, but now that's my dedicated trainer bike. I miss having that kind of bike to ride in this season- road bike feel, but not a high end bike - And am kind of thinking of switching it out and putting a different bike on the trainer. I dunno.

also, as to studded tires, they are so hard to mount that they go on once and stay on until the end of winter (or really, until early spring). I haven't mounted them yet. I was riding in pretty icy conditions on Sunday on the gravel bike with 42 mm Teravails at low pressure (35 psi) and I stayed rubber-side-down, so all good.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-16-21, 08:59 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by MinnMan
also, as to studded tires, they are so hard to mount that they go on once and stay on until the end of winter (or really, until early spring). I haven't mounted them yet. I was riding in pretty icy conditions on Sunday on the gravel bike with 42 mm Teravails at low pressure (35 psi) and I stayed rubber-side-down, so all good.
yeah it's all good, until it isn't. sometimes I put them on too early, sometimes too late. the "too late" is what gets me on the ground ... ugh
Old 11-16-21, 09:05 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 679 Post(s)
Liked 945 Times in 552 Posts
Here in portland we only get usually one or two days of frozen ground. so its just too much of a hassle to try to change tires to ride in that..
Old 11-16-21, 09:22 AM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
yeah it's all good, until it isn't. sometimes I put them on too early, sometimes too late. the "too late" is what gets me on the ground ... ugh
Yeah, true enough. I go down at least once each winter. I've never been injured during a winter ride, though, beyond maybe a bruise on my hip. The ice is your enemy until you go down, at which point it is your friend. I went down at speed some years ago, riding that Trek road bike with skinny tires, when I hit a patch of black ice. Fortunately, it was.a looong patch of black ice and I just slid along the road on my side - no road rash or anything like it. It helped that it was cold and therefore I was wearing well-padded clothes, too.
Old 11-16-21, 10:41 AM
rumrunn6

Yeah, true enough. I go down at least once each winter. I've never been injured during a winter ride, though, beyond maybe a bruise on my hip. The ice is your enemy until you go down, at which point it is your friend. I went down at speed some years ago, riding that Trek road bike with skinny tires, when I hit a patch of black ice. Fortunately, it was.a looong patch of black ice and I just slid along the road on my side - no road rash or anything like it. It helped that it was cold and therefore I was wearing well-padded clothes, too.
with friends like that! ... ;-)
Old 11-16-21, 10:47 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
I don't mess around with swapping tires and possibly compromising the beads with frequent swaps. I have a dedicated winter wheelset with studded tires that I can swap out with the non-studded wheelset in ~60 seconds, based on the conditions.
Likes For Riveting:
Old 11-16-21, 11:26 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
+1 Second wheel set. Have to adjust rim brakes, so just under 10 minutes to swap both wheels, top off psi and adjust brakes.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 11-16-21, 11:54 AM
MinnMan

A dedicated studded tire wheelset sounds like a good idea. No reason that it has to be expensive - after all, the tires are so heavy that "light" wheels would be pointless- something bomb proof with a high spoke count and, if possible, rims that happen to make mounting the tires not so nearly impossible.

But it is a good idea to at least break the seal of the bead on your studded tires now and again. They do take on water, somehow.
Likes For MinnMan:
Old 11-16-21, 12:55 PM
MinnMan

A dedicated studded tire wheelset sounds like a good idea. No reason that it has to be expensive - after all, the tires are so heavy that "light" wheels would be pointless- something bomb proof with a high spoke count and, if possible, rims that happen to make mounting the tires not so nearly impossible.

But it is a good idea to at least break the seal of the bead on your studded tires now and again. They do take on water, somehow.
So, while I'm on the subject.....apart from trial and error, has anybody got a rule of thumb about rims that mount tires easily? Definitely some rim/tire combinations are easier than others, but apart from empirical experience, I haven't noticed any rules. I would guess that wider rims are easier, but some of my wider rims are still a bear with particular tire combinations.
Old 11-16-21, 12:58 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Riveting
I don't mess around with swapping tires and possibly compromising the beads with frequent swaps. I have a dedicated winter wheelset with studded tires that I can swap out with the non-studded wheelset in ~60 seconds, based on the conditions.
you are Hero
Old 11-16-21, 01:04 PM
rumrunn6

So, while I'm on the subject.....apart from trial and error, has anybody got a rule of thumb about rims that mount tires easily? Definitely some rim/tire combinations are easier than others, but apart from empirical experience, I haven't noticed any rules. I would guess that wider rims are easier, but some of my wider rims are still a bear with particular tire combinations.
re: tires (not wheels) might get flamed but I'm leaning toward folders are easier, wire beads are more difficult (especially any Schwalbe Marathon product). just warm them up & research technique, there must be a thousand bikeforum threads on mounting tough tires

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ce-needed.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...orn-tires.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...its-worth.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...born-tire.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...res-video.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-mounting.html

;-)
Old 11-16-21, 01:07 PM
rumrunn6

A dedicated studded tire wheelset sounds like a good idea. No reason that it has to be expensive - after all, the tires are so heavy that "light" wheels would be pointless- something bomb proof with a high spoke count and, if possible, rims that happen to make mounting the tires not so nearly impossible. But it is a good idea to at least break the seal of the bead on your studded tires now and again. They do take on water, somehow.
I bought some used studded one time. the seller had the tubes inside the tires. brought the tires home & decided to change the tubes. I had to peeeeel the tubes out of the tires & it wasn't easy. they had found some way to adhere to the inside of the tires. never should have bought those, they were too old, but I'm a cheapskate ... live & learn
Old 11-16-21, 01:07 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
if you ride winter studs, what are your last rides before they go on?
My last ride without studs is typically the ride where I fall on an icy patch because I was overconfident in my ability to ride without them (that and a fair amount of procrastination).

My winter bike (drop-bar Pugsley) does double-duty as my adventure/gravel bike in the summer, so I need to make the tire transitions every autumn/spring ... and my summer tires (Fat B Nimble) at totally worthless on snow and ice.

Last edited by Hypno Toad; 11-18-21 at 10:45 AM. Reason: typo
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-16-21, 01:08 PM
MinnMan

re: tires (not wheels) might get flamed but I'm leaning toward folders are easier, wire beads are more difficult (especially any Schwalbe Marathon product). just warm them up & research technique, there must be a thousand bikeforum threads on mounting tough tires

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...ce-needed.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...orn-tires.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...its-worth.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...born-tire.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...res-video.html

https://www.bikeforums.net/bicycle-m...-mounting.html

;-)
Yeah, thanks. I've been in some of those threads. And as my current studded tires are, in fact Schwalbe Marathons, I have to agree.
Studded tires last for years if the studs don't pop off, and so I was just thinking of trying to find some rims that match better those Marathons.

Yes, folding tires are easier. But are you suggesting that there are studded folding tires? I've only encountered studded tires with wire beads.
Old 11-16-21, 01:08 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Now is about the time of year that I make the swap. When the overnight temperatures go below freezing, I can no longer trust that there aren't any ice patches hiding out in the shade when I ride to work in the morning. So the studs go on and I put up with the noise and increased rolling resistance until spring.

The commuting bike being a fixed-gear, I have 18T and 16T cogs mounted on the flip-flop hub, and flip the wheel to the 18T when the studs go on. Lower gearing helps since I'll be going slower anyway.

I used to have dedicated front wheels, one with the studded tire, and the other with my nice 3-seasons tire, but since going to dyno lighting, I'm back to swapping both tires. Thankfully, it's not too difficult on my wheels, otherwise I'd seriously consider another wheelset. (Hmm, maybe something lighter and sportier for the summer? )
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 11-16-21, 01:28 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Now is about the time of year that I make the swap. When the overnight temperatures go below freezing, I can no longer trust that there aren't any ice patches hiding out in the shade when I ride to work in the morning. So the studs go on and I put up with the noise and increased rolling resistance until spring.The commuting bike being a fixed-gear, I have 18T and 16T cogs mounted on the flip-flop hub, and flip the wheel to the 18T when the studs go on. Lower gearing helps since I'll be going slower anyway.
I used to have dedicated front wheels, one with the studded tire, and the other with my nice 3-seasons tire, but since going to dyno lighting, I'm back to swapping both tires. Thankfully, it's not too difficult on my wheels, otherwise I'd seriously consider another wheelset. (Hmm, maybe something lighter and sportier for the summer? )
N+2, right? it'll be in the 20sF tonight in our area ...
Old 11-16-21, 01:29 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
My last ride without studs is typically the ride where I fall on an icy patch because I was overconfident in my ability to ride without them (that and a fair amount of procrastination).My winter bike (drop-bar Pugsley) does double-duty as my adventure/gravel bike in the summer, so I need to make the tire transitions every autumn/spring ... and my summer tires (Fat B Nimble) at totally worth on snow and ice.
lol been there, felt dumb, but it makes for fun video
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-16-21, 01:32 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,011 Times in 518 Posts
lol been there, felt dumb, but it makes for fun video
I could have a YouTube channel about the dumb things I do and end up falling off my bikes

Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 11-16-21, 02:54 PM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I could have a YouTube channel about the dumb things I do and end up falling off my bikes

https://youtu.be/6jlFrMVEsnE
haha lol nice launch! just missed that tree. good thing you have cat-like reflexes
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 11-21-21, 08:47 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
I put the studded tires back on my mountain bike last weekend. I broke a tire lever while removing the super tight cheap Kenda tires I had on it. Those tires are awful and will not be going back on, hard ride and slow rolling due to the thick rigid sidewalls.

After one studded mountain bike ride we had a mid-week storm that ushered in fat bike season with the grooming of the first 8 km of trails in the main park. We were able to lay the entire trail down in just over an hour with 17 people working in 6 groups. Unfortunately the forecast has the temperature going above freezing several days this week, there is already more than enough ice around.

I decided to order a new battery for my old Edge 800 so I can use its glove friendly touchscreen this winter. I already replaced the battery in it once but retired it a few years later when it started fading again.
Likes For gecho:
Old 11-22-21, 10:12 AM
MinnMan

We've had a respite from icy conditions. It's cold and windy in Minnesota, but road bikes and skinny tires are still OK.

I've been thinking about the idea of a spare tire set for studded tires. But it occurs to me that I haven' 100% decided which bike I'm going to ride in the full-on winter. I used to ride my steel Masi, but maybe it will be the CF Warbird this year?

Does anybody ride CF gravel/cross bikes in full winter conditions? On the one hand, it's a rather nice bike to subject to all that salt. On the other hand, there are folks out there riding CF fatbikes and all....

The thing is, I actually already have a spare wheelset for the Warbird, though I'd need to get a set of brake rotors for it.
Old 11-22-21, 12:52 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
We've had a respite from icy conditions. It's cold and windy in Minnesota, but road bikes and skinny tires are still OK.

I've been thinking about the idea of a spare tire set for studded tires. But it occurs to me that I haven' 100% decided which bike I'm going to ride in the full-on winter. I used to ride my steel Masi, but maybe it will be the CF Warbird this year?

Does anybody ride CF gravel/cross bikes in full winter conditions? On the one hand, it's a rather nice bike to subject to all that salt. On the other hand, there are folks out there riding CF fatbikes and all....

The thing is, I actually already have a spare wheelset for the Warbird, though I'd need to get a set of brake rotors for it.
Hey, do you ever do the Stupor Bowl? A buddy of mine just hipped me to it yesterday and wants me to join.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 11-22-21, 01:07 PM
MinnMan

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Hey, do you ever do the Stupor Bowl? A buddy of mine just hipped me to it yesterday and wants me to join.
No, I'm too old and anti-social for a pub crawl, even on a bike. Some of my younger riding buddies love it.

For those who don't know...
https://www.vice.com/en/article/gqwe...kest-bike-race
Likes For MinnMan:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.