Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Upgrading cassette on GRX-600 Gravel Bike?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Upgrading cassette on GRX-600 Gravel Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-22, 05:03 PM
rsrogers

Bikes: 2023 Masi Giramondo | 2018 Specialized Diverge| 2019 Bianch Impulso Allroad GRX600| 2012 Trek 7300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Made this switch about several months ago. Paired a M8000 XT 11-40 cassette with my existing GRX 810 rear derailleur and replaced the stock hanger extension with a Goatlink 10 just to be safe. I have the 46/30 GRX 600 rings up front.

Have hundreds of miles now on the this new 11-40 install. It works perfectly. Could have easily put an 11-42 on it, but I'm very happy with 20 gear inches and a 0.75 ratio. Shimano really should make some modifications to it's GRX rear derailleur lineups to accommodate the larger cassettes.
Old 01-06-22, 05:14 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by speedyspaghetti
would there be a way to get an 11-40 or so on there?
Yes, it can be made to work reasonably well.

Depending on the bike's hanger geometry, you may need to use an extender like a RoadLink DM to get it well-behaved. You'll also need to use a longer chain, and take note that you're really pushing the chain wrap limits of these derailleurs, so expect the drivetrain to get fairly slack if you try riding in the smallest cogs while in the small chainring.

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Won't work...at least not with a GRX/double drivetrain. Take a look at the derailleur spec/capacity on Shimano's site.
It's not within spec, but a lot of people do it successfully.
Old 01-07-22, 08:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 7,490 Times in 4,189 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
The root of the problem is "hyper-capitalism", tax cheats and relief for the rich, and over-population. Realistically, to eliminate poverty entirely, we need reduce population to only 10million people globally and stop asking about the meaning of life. Anyway, j/K, drunk with soda and red wine and I missed riding today.
Cube, is your real name Thanos?
Old 01-07-22, 08:50 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4353 Post(s)
Liked 3,993 Times in 2,665 Posts
It was the dirt cheap cassette, even the jump between the gears is wrong. Huge jumps up to the high range when it should have been small (huge jumps should only be at the low range). I won't recommend cheap cassettes. But I'm not complaining in my case as I can tolerate the huge jumps, thanks to the single speed training. At the very least, I got it to shift quite reliably, never missing and no rubbing adjacent cogs. Pretty satisfied at the cost I gave it. Not bad at $9. But at $20, I would have been disappointed definitely.

If you give $1,000,000 to all people in the world, without exceptions, we'll have inflation of monstrous proportions. The middle class would end up poorer than before, the poor will remain poor, and the market will crash severely. The rich will even get richer though. If somehow, we didn't get inflation, we'll have quite severe shortages in supplies of everything with everyone having 1million dollars of free cash to spend.
Either way, they will be pandemonium and society can fall into total collapse, anarchy. So please if you have many trillions of dollars you can give away, don't do it! The root of the problem is "hyper-capitalism", tax cheats and relief for the rich, and over-population. Realistically, to eliminate poverty entirely, we need reduce population to only 10million people globally and stop asking about the meaning of life. Anyway, j/K, drunk with soda and red wine and I missed riding today.
Wait those cheap components failed you? No! Don't believe. I have never had issues with cheap cassettes but I just buy them from Shimano or SRAM...easy peasy, they know how to space out a cassette. Granted I don't buy them super often but sometimes that is all that exists.

Yes overpopulation is a problem but I won't get deep into that other than I agree on that issue. No need to give people money either that doesn't solve the problem Mutual Aid is not about just handing people money it is giving each other help but in the end that doesn't solve the issue. Anywho this can turn into P&R quickly and we should be responsible and stop though I am happy to chat via PM though it seems to a degree on that end we agree cheap parts not so much though I think you are agreeing in ways you don't want to admit.
Old 01-07-22, 08:59 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
It was the dirt cheap cassette, even the jump between the gears is wrong. Huge jumps up to the high range when it should have been small (huge jumps should only be at the low range). I won't recommend cheap cassettes. But I'm not complaining in my case as I can tolerate the huge jumps, thanks to the single speed training. At the very least, I got it to shift quite reliably, never missing and no rubbing adjacent cogs. Pretty satisfied at the cost I gave it. Not bad at $9. But at $20, I would have been disappointed definitely.

If you give $1,000,000 to all people in the world, without exceptions, we'll have inflation of monstrous proportions. The middle class would end up poorer than before, the poor will remain poor, and the market will crash severely. The rich will even get richer though. If somehow, we didn't get inflation, we'll have quite severe shortages in supplies of everything with everyone having 1million dollars of free cash to spend.
Either way, they will be pandemonium and society can fall into total collapse, anarchy. So please if you have many trillions of dollars you can give away, don't do it! The root of the problem is "hyper-capitalism", tax cheats and relief for the rich, and over-population. Realistically, to eliminate poverty entirely, we need reduce population to only 10million people globally and stop asking about the meaning of life. Anyway, j/K, drunk with soda and red wine and I missed riding today.
...this would be a good time to move this to teh P+R. wernmax would enjoy it.
Old 01-08-22, 09:18 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

I had the $9 VGporch cassette. I think the Shimano equivalant is $40 if that is the legit price, reasonably affordable to many.
A who? My googles search pulled up no such company "It looks like there aren't many great matches for your search" and none match to a cassette! Why would you buy something like that? You can find Shimano or SRAM stuff for 20-40 depending on the cassette. Get the real stuff.
Old 01-09-22, 07:26 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

I typed the wrong name! The right name is VG Sports. I might as well go with Shimano next year for 11 speed drivetrain upgrade after I wear out the VG sports cassette and saved enough for 11 speed. The Chinese brand 51 - 11t cassettes aren't that much cheaper than Shimano so might as well go with Shimano.
The first results for that company are VG Sports Terrible AliExpress Bike Chains and Don't Buy Cheap Chinese 11-50 Cassette.

Shimano makes quality stuff why buy cheap stuff and knockoffs and all that sort of crap. Just buy the quality stuff and no problems.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 01-09-22, 10:07 PM
mschwett 

Bikes: addict, aethos, creo, vanmoof, sirrus, public ...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1277 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 710 Posts
Originally Posted by rsrogers
Made this switch about several months ago. Paired a M8000 XT 11-40 cassette with my existing GRX 810 rear derailleur and replaced the stock hanger extension with a Goatlink 10 just to be safe. I have the 46/30 GRX 600 rings up front.

Have hundreds of miles now on the this new 11-40 install. It works perfectly. Could have easily put an 11-42 on it, but I'm very happy with 20 gear inches and a 0.75 ratio. Shimano really should make some modifications to it's GRX rear derailleur lineups to accommodate the larger cassettes.
i put an SRAM 10-42 on my 1x RD-RX812 GRX setup; the 10t allowed me to go 10% smaller with the front ring, preserving the top end while lowering the low end. works perfectly despite the shimano specs stating the minimum is 11t. others report that even a 10-46 works, way in excess of the stated max capacity. shimano is definitely conservative, as they should be. obviously frame geo is a big factor here.
Old 01-10-22, 10:13 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

A long way down the road, I might get SRAM cassette compatible hub. I won't literally buy SRAM product, but less costly but good brand alternatives (found by Trace Velo on youtube). I like how SRAM hubs are designed, they look more durable than Shimanos, especially in high torque low gear applications.
Stop buying cheap stuff that doesn't work, you keep defending this stuff and then having issues with it and still defend it, I don't get it. If you are running a SRAM drivetrain and it requires use of XD or XDR drivers then you must get a SRAM compatible hub if you are just running an S-Group compatible cassette that is not XD or XDR then you just need a proper S-group free hub which can easily be found.

If you want reliability Shimano has had fine hubs that have lasted long periods but are certainly better when properly maintained and adjusted and they use cup and cone bearings if you want a slightly lower maintenance or easier maintenance you might consider an aftermarket option like say White Industries, DT Swiss, Chris King, Hope...which use sealed cartridge bearings. SRAM hubs are just fine as well and I think all use sealed cartridge bearings but I don't really pay them much mind because I don't really run much SRAM aside from mechanical brake levers though I do like ZIPP handlebars and I do have a Rockshox SID fork on one of my mountain bikes but at least their mechanical drivetrains aren't appealing to me and their electronic stuff is OK but I would be locked into DOT fluid for braking at least on drop bar exploits and that is a non-starter for me.

If you just want initially low cost and don't care about reliability or durability and enjoy replacing things more often and having lots of issues than buy whatever knockoffs or cheap crap is sold by Alibaba and his 40 thieves or other similar sites. Formula and Novatec do make some lower cost stuff that is decent enough and pretty ubiquitous in the industry. Nothing great mind you but it will certainly do the job just fine.
Old 01-10-22, 10:30 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Alibaba means thief, lol! Crappy choice for a name where clients are supposed to trust you.

Yes, I'm thinking Novatec as well with SRAM compatible hub. The Novatec Shimano compatible hub doesn't look quite durable though. I often see damaged hub splines in MTB application so I'm going to try SRAM compatible hub for a change. I think it gets damaged when pedaling hard over rough terrain which is often my case when standing on climbs over rocky, washboarded paths.
Yet you seem to still trust them? Also Ali Baba was woodcutter if I remember my Arabian Tales well enough.

Find a quality hub with a steel or titanium freehub body and you won't have the issues. I am a big dude and no issues with my White Industries T11 hub with its Ti freehub has not been an issue. None of that hub has been an issue at all and that bike has been a heavily ridden bike and gone up plenty of tough climbs and put up with my sometimes less than optimal shifting. The hub is probably 6 years old at this point and I really haven't done anything to it aside from some outer cleaning. I probably should do something this winter and just make sure everything is good.
Old 01-10-22, 10:39 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Hopefully, next year, they'll have hubs with hub body made of steel. The budget brands don't seem to make them in steel. It's always aluminum. I think they do it on purpose so you will ruin the hub body and buy again.
Typically they are using aluminum to cut weight generally the aluminum freehubs are lighter than steel. That all being said there are plenty of companies using steel freehub bodies and also some using titanium. Granted yes probably most of those won't fit the bottom feeder heap but if you go for a little more quality you will have a better time but I guess you won't have much to complain about (while simultaneously praising how great the $2 broken parts are).