Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Felt VR and Gravelking SS 700x35

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-22, 05:34 PM
jerman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hello.
So, anyone with a Felt VR (I have a 2016 VR5) tried to mount Panaracer Gravelking SS 700x35?
The chain-stays look tight, so just wondering if they will fit.
Thanks!
jerry
Old 01-06-22, 06:19 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
This 2016 article in Bicycling says the clearance is 30mm.

https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...-ride-felt-vr/

Felt uses the BB386 bottom bracket on the VR, which helps increase tire clearance from 25mm on the Z-Series to 30mm on the VR.

But later in the article they write this:

My test VR2 was production spec except for its 3T carbon wheels and Challenge Paris-Roubaix 27c tires; they were outfitted because the standard Mavic Ksyrium Elite Disc Allroad wheels and Yksion Elite Guard 28c tires were not yet available. I’m a big fan of high-volume tires, especially on a bike like this, so I feel like it could benefit from something even larger, particularly if you're frequently riding rough and/or dirt roads. Tires up to 35mm wide do fit, but they do not meet ISO clearance standards, so they're not officially recommended.

Last edited by cb400bill; 01-06-22 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-06-22, 06:49 PM
jerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you for the reply.
I found on-line people saying the 35mm will fit, but they were all road tires like Gatorskins.
Since this is a gravel tire so may be wider than road, and then even manufacturers' may vary slightly, I was just wondering is anyone had specific experience with the Gravelking SS.
I appreciate the reply...
Old 01-07-22, 11:19 AM
jwls

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I have a 2019 VR5 - although don't have specific experience to share as I currently run 32mm road tires. I did have a conversation with another VR owner about tire choices - he indicated that he maxed out at 32mm tires when I asked his experience on gravel. (he used the bike for cross, and gravel riding at the time) I no longer remember for certain the specific tire he was using, although I may have a picture that could maybe help. Will double check.
Old 01-07-22, 11:27 AM
jwls

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jwls
I have a 2019 VR5 - although don't have specific experience to share as I currently run 32mm road tires. I did have a conversation with another VR owner about tire choices - he indicated that he maxed out at 32mm tires when I asked his experience on gravel. (he used the bike for cross, and gravel riding at the time) I no longer remember for certain the specific tire he was using, although I may have a picture that could maybe help. Will double check.
The pics I have were from his sale post - he switched to a Kona Rove. Turns out he swapped the tires back for the sale. Sorry.
Old 01-10-22, 12:30 AM
jerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
And mine is a Felt 2017 VR4.. I had forgotten.
I went ahead and ordered the tires, so we will see!
Old 01-10-22, 04:26 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
I have a Felt VR40 and I run 35mm Gravel Kings. Last year I did a muddy UnPAved gravel race and didn't have any clearance problems. That said, 35mm is the limit at the chainstays.
Old 01-10-22, 11:10 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by jerman
Thank you for the reply.
I found on-line people saying the 35mm will fit, but they were all road tires like Gatorskins.
Since this is a gravel tire so may be wider than road, and then even manufacturers' may vary slightly, I was just wondering is anyone had specific experience with the Gravelking SS.
Looks like you have an answer above!

The largest Conti road slicks are the Gatorskin 4-seasons tires in 32mm. Printed width does not mean anything.
I have some old 32mm Gatorskins that measure 29mm (a touch smaller than the 28mm GP4000). I have some that are closer to 32mm, and then my 32mm 4 season measures 36mm (on 22mm inner rims).

So what is roughly the same tire measures 29-36mm.

That and rim with can make a big difference. I have not seen much of a difference between 12c and 19c, but above 19mm internal, the with of the tire increases something like 0.5mm increase in tire width for a 1.0mm increase in rim width.
Old 01-10-22, 08:21 PM
jwls

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.
And mine is a Felt 2017 VR4.. I had forgotten.
I went ahead and ordered the tires, so we will see!
Please post back how you make out. Would be good info to have!
Old 01-13-22, 06:27 AM
jerman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jwls
Please post back how you make out. Would be good info to have!
The Panaracer Gravelking SS 700x35 tires fit on my 2017 Felt VR4. About 1.5mm clearance between the tire and chainstays.
Old 01-13-22, 06:53 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
The Panaracer Gravelking SS 700x35 tires fit on my 2017 Felt VR4. About 1.5mm clearance between the tire and chainstays.
Thats about what I have. As I said, I did a very muddy gravel race at the end of the season and didn't have any fouling issues. If the conditions/course calls for for than that, I ride an original gravel bike, a hardtail mountain bike.
Old 01-13-22, 08:50 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
With that small a clearance I would put helicopter tape on all the close places. Many hours in the mud later and you won't have any paint left there if it is not taped.

Here is my low-clearance front fork after a muddy ride:

You can see the helicopter tape barely under the mud there.

Note that I had GK SS 35c on this bike (Spesh Roubaix 2020) and the clearance was similar to your GK clearance, 1.5mm. I decided to use these Conti Terra Speed instead, they have more like 3.5mm minimum clearance. Note I have 25mm internal width rims which makes tires quite a bit wider, these are 37.2mm wide measured.

Last edited by scottfsmith; 01-13-22 at 08:55 AM.