Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Shorts/pants for commuting

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-20, 07:33 PM
hamcereal

Bikes: Bianchi Volpe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts

Recommendations on comfy/kind of stretchy shorts and pants? I don't want any Lycra or Spandex stuff, over the years I've just cut some chinos and they're super comfy, but I've run out of chinos! I know Levi's made a pant line of commuter pants, but they were over priced and too tight and actually didn't last as long as I thought they would.
Not looking for tight fit, but also not Dumbo loose. What are you guys wearing?
Old 07-17-20, 07:06 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,676 Times in 827 Posts
Black, dry-wicking golf shorts, worn with a belt. I wear a phone holster on the belt, and put my keys in the front left pocket with a coiled "leash" clipped to a belt loop. I have ridden up to 6 hours without any issues from the keys which is surprising and pleasing.

I can usually find them on closeout for under $20 bucks, and they last me a couple three years of commuting before wearing through.

Not the greatest photo (or physique), but ot shows the pants.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-17-20, 09:12 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The Levi's 511 commuters are still around or at least they were a year ago the last time I bought. They were in a separate pile at Macy's. Weirdly, there was nothing in the tags to indicate they were different from the regular 511's. But they still had the reinforced crotch, hidden u-lock holster, reflective piping inside the cuff. These are my everyday jeans in jeans season so they don't last forever but the last few have failed in normal jeans places (knees, pocket corners) and not the crotch.
Genesis 49:16-17
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 07-17-20, 09:29 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Any synthetic knit shorts or pants will last a very long time, far longer than any natural fibers. The knit construction makes them air permeable, unlike tighter weaves, and provides about as much cushioning as Lycra bike shorts with thin padding. They're usually cheap, too. I picked up a $10 pair of knit shorts at ALDI that I've ridden in all year with no signs of wear.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-17-20, 12:56 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Yea Jersey-knit fabrics give , Woven canvas 'Levi's' don't.

I have been using Tracksuit warmup Trousers Cycling for my transportation for years now.

A fabric with a smooth outer & fleeced inner works well I got some Russell athletics and a Nike branded pair..

Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-17-20, 04:32 PM
lost_in_endicot

Bikes: Electra Loft 7i, Fuji Crosstown 2.5, Gravity Liberty FB, Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Aero Tech commuter cargo shorts are pretty nice, but really the cheap basketball shorts at Walmart or Target work pretty well. I like the Aero Tech shorts pockets. Nice and roomy.
Likes For lost_in_endicot:
Old 07-21-20, 01:23 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I wear whatever trousers are appropriate for whatever activity I'm riding to but, my crankset has a chainwheel guard, which protects the inseam of my right trouser leg from catching on the teeth of the outer chainwheel. Since you live in Canada, maybe Shimano offers this practical, common-sensical device to you. They seem to be depriving those of us in the USA from enjoying such trouble-free riding.
Old 07-21-20, 04:05 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,417 Times in 2,526 Posts
Originally Posted by lost_in_endicot
Aero Tech commuter cargo shorts are pretty nice, but really the cheap basketball shorts at Walmart or Target work pretty well. I like the Aero Tech shorts pockets. Nice and roomy.
That's what I wear. Also boxer briefs don't chafe like tightie whities.
Likes For RubeRad:
Old 07-21-20, 09:44 PM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Cargo pants, Cargo Shorts from Costco.
Likes For alloo:
Old 07-21-20, 10:12 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Budget shorts - Dickies

cycling gear - Swrve

Last edited by georgiaboy; 07-21-20 at 10:37 PM.
Old 07-21-20, 10:45 PM
georgiaboy
Retro-nerd

Bikes: 1991 Serotta Colorado II, 1986 Vitus 979, 1971 Juene Classic, 2008 Surly Crosscheck, 1956 Riva Sport

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 39 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
Black, dry-wicking golf shorts, worn with a belt. I wear a phone holster on the belt, and put my keys in the front left pocket with a coiled "leash" clipped to a belt loop. I have ridden up to 6 hours without any issues from the keys which is surprising and pleasing.

I can usually find them on closeout for under $20 bucks, and they last me a couple three years of commuting before wearing through.

Not the greatest photo (or physique), but ot shows the pants.
BobbyG ruling the streets! Nice set up, bicycle and clothing.
Old 07-22-20, 06:44 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Originally Posted by georgiaboy
BobbyG ruling the streets! Nice set up, bicycle and clothing.
Thanks, but the only way I'm gonna "rule" the streets is with a tape measure.
Likes For BobbyG:
Old 07-25-20, 10:56 AM
PaulRivers

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 38 Posts
Synthetic shorts are definitely the best - they don't wear from rubbing the seat - and it's your leg muscles producing power and heat and shorts keep them cool.
Old 07-25-20, 12:49 PM
BobbyG

Just by coincidence, I noticed my shorts had worn through near the crotch. Stopped by Dillard's Clearance and picked up two more "performance" golf shorts for $8.50 each! Took my inaugural ride with one of them today and all was well.
Old 07-26-20, 10:59 AM
Bikewolf

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Not knowing any better, when commuting I used to wear jeans and still do actually, stretchy jeans that is. However, any new shorts is a more active (outdoor) synthetic piece now. More comfortable! Lightweight, wind-resistant, fast-drying, pockets, color options, casual design ...

No specific brand, and not too expensive.
Old 07-26-20, 12:53 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Synthetic weave shorts for the win. For the last couple years I've worn Eddie Bauer First Ascent Guide shorts while commuting and road riding; stretchy, wicking, bomb-proof, fast-drying, with a nice mix of zipped and unzipped pockets. Good for hiking and around town as well. When road-biking I wear a padded liner short to eliminate hot-spots and chafing.

Last edited by Archwhorides; 08-02-20 at 07:24 AM.
Old 07-30-20, 06:12 PM
scantino

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamcereal
Recommendations on comfy/kind of stretchy shorts and pants? I don't want any Lycra or Spandex stuff, over the years I've just cut some chinos and they're super comfy, but I've run out of chinos! I know Levi's made a pant line of commuter pants, but they were over priced and too tight and actually didn't last as long as I thought they would.
Not looking for tight fit, but also not Dumbo loose. What are you guys wearing?
Patagonia Baggies have been nice lately.
Old 07-30-20, 06:24 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2337 Post(s)
Liked 2,811 Times in 1,535 Posts
depends on how far my commute is but my default is bike shorts (either from aerotech or voler) ....because the function is so high and hi-vis wicking t-shirt from east bay because they work and are cheap https://www.eastbay.com/product/east...s/6857801.html

Old 08-09-20, 08:13 AM
DanielC94

Bikes: Bianchi Imola 2003, Jamis Durango 2010

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used to either wear my running shorts in the summer or whatever pants I would be wearing to work that day on my commute in the winter. Though since I've gotten some good biking shorts I do prefer wearing those instead on my commute to work (this is possible because my office has changing rooms and stuff for bike commuters) and it's simply just that much more comfortable for me. I definitely had to get over insecurity of "looking like one of those lycra guys" but honestly, good bike shorts are a good investment period. The one thing I have yet to invest in personally are waterproof pants for cycling in the rain. If you're a commuter who bikes rain or shine that might be where your money is best spent too.
Old 08-10-20, 08:26 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by DanielC94
... The one thing I have yet to invest in personally are waterproof pants for cycling in the rain. If you're a commuter who bikes rain or shine that might be where your money is best spent too.
I got some yellow Showers Pass rain pants a couple years ago. This fall put a neoprene saddle on. First rain the pants took on the “coal mine in a canary” look. Oh well.
Old 08-11-20, 02:25 PM
striegel 

Bikes: 1975 Paris Sport 700, 2007 Dahon Mu P8 (folding bicycle), 1984 Miyata 210

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Zoic Black Market shorts - recommended

Zoic Black Market shorts. I have two pairs of these now and they work well and look so good that I wear them off the bike (minus the liner). My only quibble is that my older pair broke one of the pocket zipper pulls and I cannot get that pocket open.

I should say that I recently had a serious fall on the bike while wearing these and they don't show a single mark. My mobile phone that was in my right hip pocket was utterly destroyed and I still have some bruising weeks after the event. But the shorts don't have ANY evidence of the fall and slide on dirt/rocks/sand.

Last edited by striegel; 08-11-20 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Adding comment on durability