Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Adventure Cycling... Does anyone subscribe?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Adventure Cycling... Does anyone subscribe?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-10, 03:02 PM
PolishGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I've been an ACA member since 2002. Got back into cycling in 2000 and started reading Bicycling which I thought was just "OK" until I got a sample issue of Adventure Cycling. Then everything started to change. I found out about Rivendell and have most of the Riv Readers, Bicycle Quarterly (VBQ when I first subscribed), Velo Vision and A to B. AC and BQ are my two favorites since they speak to the type of bike riding I prefer to do. I haven't done a long tour yet but I take one everytime a new issue of AC arrives. BQ is great on technical issues, Jan does contribute to AC, and is more on what I view as the high end of bicycling products much in the vein of Just Jazz Guitar magazine and the early days of The Absolute Sound magazine, only without the attitude found in The Absolute Sound. Still, Adventure Cycling is my #1 bike magazine with the added bonus of bicycle advocacy thrown in. PG.
Old 11-12-10, 05:26 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts
I've been a member for a long time and in 2006, I bought a life membership. For me, it has been about supporting a worthwhile organization, though I also enjoy the magazine and discounts on maps. During my long tours, I changed my address with Adventure Cycling so the magazine came to my parents. While not cycle tourists, they also enjoyed reading the magazine.

As a life member, I've been able to give out a few complementary memberships. I've done those to members of my local cycling club with a bias towards those who would continue membership on their own after the complementary period.
Old 11-14-10, 09:00 PM
ullearn

Bikes: Homemade Custom Tourer, EPX 303, Schwinn Homegrown, Trek 7.3 FX, Robinson SST, Trek Fuel EX7

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1 I am a Adventure Cyclist

It's about the cause and the organization growing XC cycling, plus great discounts on their maps and you can post companion wanted ads for tours. Though in addition to ACA I recomend checking out Aaron Teasdale's blog, he took/takes a lot of pics for ACA and has writes as well. His last trip angers me b/c it's so awesome!

https://aaronteasdale.blogspot.com/
Old 11-14-10, 09:43 PM
jabantik00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i guess i'll go against the common opinion here. i joined in 2005 or so for the map discounts. i find the maps to be overpriced and limited as maps. you will want other maps if you plan to deviate much from their routes. i did find the gdmbr maps that i used (whitefish to rawlins) to be helpful, but i'd rather find my own routes if i'm gonna travel on regular highways. their magazine is ok - it doesn't advertise as much as other magazines, but i don't find it very informative or entertaining either. i felt that i got poor value for my membership until i went to their office in missoula in 2006 and ate all their ice cream. i do agree that it is an organization worthy of financial support, but i am too poor to give them any money.
Old 11-15-10, 02:01 PM
cbike

Bikes: Surly LHT (weekend ride & touring), GT Outpost (commuting), Brompton M6R (Weekend tours that involve flying), Co-Motion Periscope Torpedo (family weekend ride & touring)

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just got an ACA membership because I spend way to much money on panniers. So far I haven't gotten a magazine or any other benefit out of being a member. I was looking at ACA even before and never could justify joining. I don't see their bicycling/touring advocacy anywhere. Their route development involves printing a couple maps and nothing else. The likelihood that I ride their route isn't to high and if I do it probably has variants in it that requires to deviate off the route.

I don't think their routes are that great. Two weekends ago I did a day trip along the southern part of the Pacific ACA route. I was out there for a business trip and wanted to do something fun. I just grabbed the ACA GPS data file and did not do much research on the route or on nicer alternatives. I thought I give their highly acclaimed? routes a try. I went from San Diego up to Oceanside and back (~45 miles). You can read more about it on my blog https://adventurelaus.blogspot.com/20...-miles-of.html . In short I didn't appreciated the route as much as others that I put together myself in Iowa. It was mostly along a very busy street and you constantly ride through urban / residential areas. The only nice parts where the one time I pushed the bike along the beach (not part of the ACA route) and the stretch to the Mexican border on my second day's ride. There is just no good ways to travel in that region along the pacific. I doubt the route would have gotten any better till past LA. In any case you pretty much can plan the same route yourself without buying the maps.
Old 11-16-10, 09:14 PM
ullearn

Bikes: Homemade Custom Tourer, EPX 303, Schwinn Homegrown, Trek 7.3 FX, Robinson SST, Trek Fuel EX7

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbike
I don't see their bicycling/touring advocacy anywhere. Their route development involves printing a couple maps and nothing else. The likelihood that I ride their route isn't to high and if I do it probably has variants in it that requires to deviate off the route.
Checkout https://blog.adventurecycling.org/sea...Route%20System , not saying they are causing this but advocacy doesn't always mean starting, but spreading.
Old 11-16-10, 10:12 PM
rothenfield1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
To answer your question: YES, of course; if there was ever a publication that was written exactly for the people who peruse these threads, this is it! Why wouldn’t you?
Old 11-17-10, 09:32 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
I don't think their routes are that great.
You did two parts of one route, and those parts were in relatively developed areas, and then compared it to routes you have done in Iowa, which is not exactly San Diego in terms of development and population, in order to reach the conclusion that their routes (plural) are not that great. Not sure I get that, especially after you opine that there is no "good" way to travel in that region.

The goal of a route is not always to avoid all major population centers. The goal is sometimes to get to a place so as to allow people to experience travelling there by bicycle. If you think that "great" routes are only those that are totally or mostly rural then of course you are going to think that a 45 mile out and back from San Diego isn't going to be a great one. But that is a judgment based on personal preference for certain riding conditions, not an assessment of the soundness of the route chosen to accomplish the goal. The Northern Tier goes through many rural places with little or no traffic. It also goes through Cleveland, OH. You can't visit the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame anywhere else. We had no problem getting into, through and out of Cleveland. In fact, the optional route, which took us through City's Emerald Neckless and Littlle Italy, and past Case Western's campus and amazing houses of Shaker and Cleveland Heights, was quite nice.

In this particular case, the goal is to get to San Diego. I think to fairly crticize a route, or any portion thereof, you need to take the goal as a given. If you have a better option (keeping the goal in mind), I would submit it to AC for their consideration. I recently did that with a portion of their Atlantic Coast route. Our club routinely rides between two points that are part of that route, and I thought AC's existing route was a little outdated due to suburban sprawl. I gave them our club's route. They looked at it, liked it and it's now part of AC's route.

What other AC routes, or portions thereof, have you done?
Old 11-17-10, 01:35 PM
VT_Speed_TR

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In any case you pretty much can plan the same route yourself without buying the maps.
And not everyone thinks that spending endless hours researching an area and the roads is a worthwhile expenditure of ones time and energy when an organization has already done it. I've ordered many of their maps and it sure is easier to have a starting reference of potential roads to ride in a new area.
Old 11-17-10, 03:37 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by VT_Speed_TR
And not everyone thinks that spending endless hours researching an area and the roads is a worthwhile expenditure of ones time and energy when an organization has already done it. I've ordered many of their maps and it sure is easier to have a starting reference of potential roads to ride in a new area.
Absolutely. My nine-year-old-son and I have been riding across New York, using the PTNY maps, because it's pretty much guaranteed that they'll choose routes with the widest shoulders and lowest traffic, which is kind of important when you have a young kid in tow. Beats the heck out of trying to use Google Street View to find decent roads. ;-)
Old 11-17-10, 05:40 PM
safariofthemind
Life is a fun ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The true power of the association comes to light when somebody in Washington decides to threaten us. There is power in groups, whether we like it or not. That's why anarchists never get anywhere. If we want respect, we have to be heard. For that alone, and more, they are a worthwhile group. I think people who criticize them without doing something instead, like forming an organization to be an alternative, are the same people who never show up to vote.
Old 11-17-10, 08:26 PM
dlschwarz
The Sojourner

Bikes: Surley LHT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm an adventure cyclist member. If you tour, it supports your sport. Bicycle Times is another good magazine.
Old 11-17-10, 09:00 PM
drmweaver2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've considered and decided against joining ACA for the immediate future.

I didn't find the sample issue I have read very useful, didn't care for the style of writing and have been able to obtain/examine (partial) sets of some of their maps at "used" costs on eBay/from other riders. I read their forums daily and find little that isn't available elsewhere except for specific information/discussion about their routes/maps. Their online store definitely is not the place to go for low prices. So, for me, for now at least, membership isn't worth the cost.

I definitely put ACA in the same category as LAB for me - it's "nice" that they think they are accomplishing something for bicyclists in general. If they are, I'll benefit from it. But realistically, if they didn't exist, I'm not sure I'd miss them.

If I were riding 3-4 tours a year on "their" routes,then I might look at things differently.

My curmudgeonly $.02
Old 11-17-10, 09:08 PM
safariofthemind
Life is a fun ride

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You are honest drmweaver2. Respect.

The same can be said for other groups such as AARP, AAA, etc. We all benefit, but we can't support them all. I am happy to pick a select few for my dollars, and ACA is one. As long as they are around, it's all good. But if they are ever in danger, I hope we all can rally and stick together. Paraphrasing Ben Franklin at the declaration of independence: "We all hang together now, or we'll all hang separately later". Wise old fox that Ben.

Old 11-17-10, 10:59 PM
drmweaver2

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by safariofthemind
You are honest drmweaver2. Respect.

The same can be said for other groups such as AARP, AAA, etc. We all benefit, but we can't support them all. I am happy to pick a select few for my dollars, and ACA is one. As long as they are around, it's all good. But if they are ever in danger, I hope we all can rally and stick together. Paraphrasing Ben Franklin at the declaration of independence: "We all hang together now, or we'll all hang separately later". Wise old fox that Ben.
Actually, I'm of the mind that, as a taxpayer, I have the right and responsibility to expect my representatives to legislate FOR ALL EQUALLY. Throwing additional money to what are essentially lobbying groups is a waste/duplication and an abdication of my right to demand appropriate action(s) from the government. I expect legislators to pass appropriate laws and the executive branch to enforce the laws - both against cyclists and against motorists who "don't share the road" according to the law. If the law is already there and not being enforced, then what good does advocating for more laws do?

Where I see things failing is in the judicial branch.

Personally, I don't need wider shoulders - I much prefer the "lane", it's cleaner, 8 feet wide, and the law already says I am entitled to it.

Like I said, I'm a curmudgeon - a cheap one at that.

Last edited by drmweaver2; 11-17-10 at 11:03 PM.
Old 11-18-10, 06:11 AM
VT_Speed_TR

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drmweaver2
Actually, I'm of the mind that, as a taxpayer, I have the right and responsibility to expect my representatives to legislate FOR ALL EQUALLY. Throwing additional money to what are essentially lobbying groups is a waste/duplication and an abdication of my right to demand appropriate action(s) from the government. I expect legislators to pass appropriate laws and the executive branch to enforce the laws - both against cyclists and against motorists who "don't share the road" according to the law. If the law is already there and not being enforced, then what good does advocating for more laws do?

Personally, I don't need wider shoulders - I much prefer the "lane", it's cleaner, 8 feet wide, and the law already says I am entitled to it.

Like I said, I'm a curmudgeon - a cheap one at that.
When you wake up, we will all welcome you into the real world.
Old 11-18-10, 06:16 AM
bhchdh 

Bikes: '07 Trek 520, '09 Gary Fisher Triton, '04 Trek 8000, '85 Trek 500, '84 Trek 610, '85 Trek 510, '88 Trek 660, '92 Trek 930, Trek Multitrack 700

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ACA member.
"When I hear another express an opinion, which is not mine, I say to myself, He has a right to his opinion, as I to mine; why should I question it. His error does me no injury, and shall I become a Don Quixot to bring all men by force of argument, to one opinion? If a fact be misstated, it is probable he is gratified by a belief of it, and I have no right to deprive him of the gratification."

T. Jefferson
Old 11-18-10, 06:50 AM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1251 Post(s)
Liked 754 Times in 560 Posts
I just got an ACA membership because I spend way to much money on panniers.
While I like to support them, that is the last reason that I would join. The stuff in their store is definitely not at bargain prices. It also does not tend to be the stuff that I personally would choose.

I don't think their routes are that great.
It sounds like you haven't ridden one of their routes. Riding a short section of an 1800+ mile route is an unreasonable way to make that judgment, particularly since the section you rode was a part where they needed to route you through a very developed region.

That aside... In my opinion the route itself is only a portion of the value of the maps. The rest of the value is the other info on the maps and it sounds like you didn't actually use the maps. Having quick and easy access to the locations and phone numbers of points of interest, bike shops, stores, libraries, post offices, and other services is a big plus. Then there are the elevation profiles, listing of free places to stay and so on. Having that stuff is pretty useful when you are on a long trip through mostly undeveloped areas.

On the other hand... Yes you can definitely do your own thing and I do that sometimes either as a full tour or as an alternate to a portion of an AC route.
Old 11-18-10, 10:39 PM
Kip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been a member for eight years and enjoy the magazine which I usually reread. I've used their Yellow Pages to plan trips in the US and Europe, and am pleased to have the organization lobbying for the kind of riding I like to do.
Old 11-19-10, 11:18 AM
gamecock

Bikes: Rivendell--Sam Hilleborne, the only one I need.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride, therefore I TransAm.
Old 11-19-10, 11:50 AM
cccorlew
Erect member since 1953

Bikes: Trek 520 Grando, Roubaix Expert, Motobecane Ti Century Elite turned commuter, Some old French thing gone fixie

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
I love these folks. I do their tours and read all their stuff. The magazine is OK, but like others here, I'm a member, that's what I pay for . The magazine is a bonus.

Related: On their web site 11.19.2010 the lead photo is a photo of my wife I shot!
https://www.adventurecycling.org/

Actually we're all over their site. Here's a quick slide show of web pages featuring my photos!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/ccorlew...02399056/show/
Old 11-26-10, 02:37 PM
nancy sv
family on bikes

Bikes: which one?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm not a member right now, but will be again once we get back home and I can get the mag without it just piling up at my SIL's house. I do love the magazine - love hearing from other tourists out there. Plus - we're in it I will say that I don't particularly care for their maps. They are great maps and highly detailed and all that - if that's what you want. We find that every time we chance upon an AC route, our experience dramatically changes - all of a sudden we are just one of a bunch and don't meet the local people like we do on other routes. Plus, I find the unknown to be a lot of the fun of touring, and the AC takes that out of the equation - with them you know exactly what hills you'll face, where to find food and water, where to fix your bike, where to camp, etc... I find it too...predictable for my taste.Don't get me wrong - I think the maps are great for a lot of people, just not me so much.
Old 11-26-10, 02:42 PM
AsanaCycles
Bicycle Lifestyle

Bikes: Neil Pryde Diablo, VeloVie Vitesse400, Hunter29er, Surly Big Dummy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
for a route like the Tour Divide, AC really has it nailed.
Old 11-29-10, 03:34 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Just bought a bunch of Arkel stuff so now I am a member for a year...it was included in the price of the bags. I have read the magazine and find it to be much better than most of the bike stuff out there.
Old 11-29-10, 09:10 PM
bbunk

Bikes: Trek 7200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just joined. I haven't toured anywhere yet but hopefully I can get some short tours in this coming year. I think they are doing a great thing and don't mind supporting them as I get started.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.