Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Brands that have vanished in our lifetimes...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Brands that have vanished in our lifetimes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-13, 03:03 PM
PolishGuy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A few that came to my mind: J. J. Newbury stores; Flying A gasoline; Richfield gasoline; now known as only Chevron, in the past there was Chevron and Standard stations; Blue Chip Stamps and their related redemption stores; Gold Stamps; Best catalog stores; KnightKit, very much like Heathkit; Buffums dept store; stand-alone A&W shops, I know the brand still exists but it isn't quite the same as what the stores would serve; Kinney shoe stores.....geez I feel old. PG.
Old 03-19-13, 03:04 PM
k7baixo

Bikes: Bacchetta CA2.0

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Biker395
Heathkit
A modern, better designed version of Heathkit.
Old 03-19-13, 03:04 PM
Cougrrcj

Bikes: A few...

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 257 Posts
Originally Posted by doctor j
I miss Heathkit. My dad had an SB-200 HF amplifier that worked really well. When dad passed, my brother got the amplifier. At least it's still in the family.
My old man built a HH Scott kit stereo back in 1960-ish.

Found a eBay auction of the amp here

The Tuner was similar to this one, but also brownface/gold trim like the above amp.

And as I mentioned in another 50+ thread, I helped him build a color TV in 68/69. That was a Heathkit.
Old 03-19-13, 06:27 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
SR Suntour isn't really the Suntour we all knew and loved. From that source-of-sources, wikipedia:
By 1993, SunTour's share of the market had dropped to five per cent of the U.S. market. At the end of 1994, Mori decided to shut down their bicycle component business. In March 1995 Daisuke Kobayashi and Hideo Hashizume, the former owners of SR Sakae Ringyo, arranged a management buyout. The new management took over in July, 1995, purchasing the SunTour name and the SR factory in Taiwan. Mori Industries left the bicycle component business, selling off SunTour's Japanese facilities piecemeal.

SR SunTour USA closed its U.S. offices in early 1995. The SunTour name lived on as SR Suntour, but the SunTour component designs did not survive. The tooling that produced the once-prized Suntour derailleurs, shifters, and associated bicycle components was sold for scrap.
It's sort of like Sturmey Archer. Sure, there's a company that bought that name and still makes products branded as such, but it's not really the same company. In this case, that's probably a good thing as the Japanese purchasers have improved the product.
Old 03-20-13, 12:48 AM
skilsaw

Bikes: Cannondale t1, Koga-Miyata World Traveller

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
GWG Redstrap Jeans.
Old 03-20-13, 04:50 AM
CraigB
Starting over

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1500; 2006 Gary Fisher Marlin; 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105; 2012 Catrike Trail

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Red Goose Shoes (sing along with me, "Half the fun of having feet is Red Goose Shoes.")

And speaking of shoes, how about running faster and jumping higher with PF Flyers?
Old 03-20-13, 05:15 AM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Originally Posted by CraigB
Red Goose Shoes (sing along with me, "Half the fun of having feet is Red Goose Shoes.")

And speaking of shoes, how about running faster and jumping higher with PF Flyers?
And let's not forget Keds and Buster Brown shoes.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 03-20-13, 03:00 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts

Hudson

Studebaker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1947_Hudson_PUbrown.jpg (25.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg
studebaker-starliner-02.jpg (29.3 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-20-13, 04:03 PM
vtc12ip
Harry helps.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Worked at these:
Air North dba Mohawk Commuter
Air North dba Alleghany Commuter
Air North (standalone)
Brockway Air (standalone)
Brockway Air dba Peidmont Commuter
Metro Air Northeast dba Trans World Express
Business Express (standalone)
Business Express dba Delta Connection / Northwest Airlink

Confusing. Until I went to Business Express, it was the same people and airplanes. We had a white Saab 340 delivered new from the factory. The mechanics put a bar code on it.
Old 03-20-13, 04:22 PM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Rock Island- Kept on running passenger trains after Amtrak, because they claimed they didn't have the money to join Amtrak. Kept running trains from Peoria and the Quad Cities until 1980. Stopped almost anywhere for the regular riders, and wound up at LaSalle Street Station in Chicago. Not a grand operation but eminently friendly.
Old 03-20-13, 06:46 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Wyeth,
Ayerst,
Pharmacia
CIBA
Geigy
AH Robins
Whitehall Labs
Madison Labs
Even pharmaceuticals have felt the sting of takeover.
Old 03-20-13, 07:19 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,819 Times in 1,058 Posts
Indian Motocycle, and Indian Motorcycle and Indian Motorcycle and then Indian Motorcycle followed by Indian Motorcycle. But now Indian is back again.
Old 03-20-13, 07:27 PM
FormerFF

Bikes: Trek 610, Cannondale Bad Boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PolishGuy
A few that came to my mind: J. J. Newbury stores; Flying A gasoline; Richfield gasoline; now known as only Chevron, in the past there was Chevron and Standard stations; Blue Chip Stamps and their related redemption stores; Gold Stamps; Best catalog stores; KnightKit, very much like Heathkit; Buffums dept store; stand-alone A&W shops, I know the brand still exists but it isn't quite the same as what the stores would serve; Kinney shoe stores.....geez I feel old. PG.
We still have Chevron gasoline, on the other hand Texaco has left the building. What's also almost completely gone are service stations, those places that sold gasoline and did car repairs. There were a couple of Chevron ones up until last year, but of the remaining ones, one was turned into a food mart and the other closed. I understand the the marketplace changes, but for a long while the gas station was an opportunity for small businesspeople to get started without too much capital, and now that's gone.
Old 03-20-13, 11:12 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FormerFF
We still have Chevron gasoline, on the other hand Texaco has left the building. What's also almost completely gone are service stations, those places that sold gasoline and did car repairs. There were a couple of Chevron ones up until last year, but of the remaining ones, one was turned into a food mart and the other closed. I understand the the marketplace changes, but for a long while the gas station was an opportunity for small businesspeople to get started without too much capital, and now that's gone.
There are several gas stations with service centers in my area.
Old 03-21-13, 04:34 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Originally Posted by Bikey Mikey
There are several gas stations with service centers in my area.
I've still got a Shell with garage and full Service, limited hours. I always go to Kroger, though. Because I get money off gas price for grocery and gas dollars spent.
Old 03-21-13, 10:25 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I wish Schwinn bicycles and Indian motorcycles would disappear finally & completely.
Old 03-21-13, 05:58 PM
trackhub

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1. Nicely restored

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by David Bierbaum
The Radio Shack of old, where you could buy those heathkits, as well as electronics parts and supplies. I don't think of the modern Radio Shack as being what the old one was. I remember browsing the transistor catalog way back when, back in the days when it mattered to know what PNP and NPN meant, and one could read resistor and capacitor color codes without thinking...
Don't forget the tube testers, always located near the door to the store, and the store manager, always an old, sort of grouchy, but very knowledgable guy.
Today's Radio Shack store is nothing more than a toy and cell phone store. The components they sell for hobbyists continue to dwindle, but I guess that is simply
the way it is now.

A store that many local New Englanders truly miss: Spags!

Spags was truly unique. The place was huge, and occupied more buildings that what you see in the picture. Always stocked to the ceiling with
stuff, at prices that even the walmart of today could not match. (Not an exaggeration!) This because of the incredible management skill of the founder
and owner, Anthony Borgatti. (Nicknamed Spag, because it was his favorite meal) Oh yeah, for most of their years in business, there were "no bags at spags".
shoppers were well advised to bring along their own bags or boxes. They also did not accept any payment means, besides cash. Imagine that today.
Oh yeah,,, Spags, like most retailers, didn't pay a heck of a lot, but they had a reputation for being very good to their employees, offering good benefits
and treating everyone like a family. He had some employees who worked for him for decades. Never see that again.
Old 03-21-13, 06:13 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
+1 for the old, true Radio Shack stores and Heathkit. I used to go to RS for electronic circuit items when I took Electronic Circuits and Theory in high school. the old knowledgeable guy worked at ours too. Must have been a big family. You could get resistors, potentiometers, wire in the various gauges, blank circuit boards, etc., I could stay in there all day just taking in all the components and listening to the men talk about the stereos, radios, televisions and such they were building or repairing. Learned the basics of using an o-scope there, even.

Heathkit catalogs were like Sears toy catalogs for me. They worked with the schools on pricing for projects. Not anymore, it is all plug that board or device in and throw away anything that smokes. Sheesh, I am getting old and grouchy . Seems like even the corner stores, mom and pop types as well as drugstores had RCA tube tester-stocking displays in them. My dad would send me up to the neighbourhood store with tubes for our TV to test and replace.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 03-21-13, 06:34 PM
Gravity Aided

You can't even replace or reset your electron guns in the picture tube anymore. My father-in -law was an E.E. and showed me how to do that and synch them up and now all the mounts are plastic and the Tv is a throwaway. You're not getting old and grouchy, Bill. This current throw-away appliance theory lacks common sense. Innovation should not be predicated by a need to replace most of your material possessions on an annual basis.
Old 03-21-13, 08:45 PM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by qcpmsame
Heathkit catalogs were like Sears toy catalogs for me.

Bill
Happy holidays! https://www.ae5x.com/blog/2011/09/12/three-old-heathkit-catalogs-now-online/

https://www.nostalgickitscentral.com/index.html

Last edited by Biker395; 03-22-13 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-21-13, 10:06 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by PolishGuy
Richfield is still here, it is just now called ARCO. They also have AM/PM markets.
Old 03-22-13, 06:36 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
The City of Detroit

and the implosion of the J.L. Hudson Building
Old 03-22-13, 06:53 AM
pursuance

Bikes: Bicycles

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Flying Merkel
I wish Schwinn bicycles and Indian motorcycles would disappear finally & completely.
True, the last real Indian was assembled in 1953.
I had an Indian Enfield twin back in the day. Eye-tie frame, Brit engine?

Like it or not Polaris has the capital to make Indian stay afloat.
And I do not like the new motor trying to look flat-headed either!

This thread makes me feel my age with a touch of melancholy. *sigh*

I do remember the learning fun Heathkit offered this youngster. My first automotive test meters!
Old 03-22-13, 07:15 AM
Biker395 
Seat Sniffer

Bikes: Serotta Legend Ti; 2006 Schwinn Fastback Pro and 1996 Colnago Decor Super C96; 2003 Univega Alpina 700; 2000 Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 945 Post(s)
Liked 1,986 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
No, Allegheny Airlines is (sadly) still with us... They renamed themselves to US Air after people here in Pittsburgh where they originated (and where we built an airport for them) renamed them to "Agony Airlines"....
Lol. Just seeing this. My Dad used to fly out to the East Coast, and one day I asked him how the flight was.

"Not so good ... it was on Allegheny Air."

Not being perhaps as good with geography as I should have been, I had to ask:

"Why do they call it that?"

"Because when they're not crashing, they fly over the Allegheny Mountains."

Old 03-22-13, 10:29 AM
Flying Merkel

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by pursuance
True, the last real Indian was assembled in 1953.
I had an Indian Enfield twin back in the day. Eye-tie frame, Brit engine?

Like it or not Polaris has the capital to make Indian stay afloat.
And I do not like the new motor trying to look flat-headed either!

This thread makes me feel my age with a touch of melancholy. *sigh*

I do remember the learning fun Heathkit offered this youngster. My first automotive test meters!
Saw an Indian Enfield a few years back. Good looking bike. The silly overstyled pseudo-Indian engine makes me cry. Few motorcycles are as pretty as a real Indian Chief. American Baroque at it's finest.

My dad put together a Heathkit "Hi-Fi" back in the early 60's. We had it for years. Have no idea what happened to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.