Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

coker monster again. brakes and large wheel inertia?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-15, 10:08 AM
Philphine

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 16 Posts

still playing with the idea of modding a coker monster. i think i've decided on a sturmey archer 5sp hub (still working out gear ratios to decide if it's a good choice). they come in coaster, rim, drum and disc. yes i know a monster isn't going to be high performance bike, but i'd still like to make a good choice for braking.

i don't really want a coaster brake, because it might interfere with other ideas, and i'm not interested in rim brakes. for the moment i'm seeing a decent deal on a drum brake model, but wondering if discs would be best, since i can go with a larger rotor to compensate for the larger wheel (saw a 255mm that would be interesting). i can weld well enough to put the caliper where i need it. at this particular moment the disc model i'm seeing is a good bit higher than the drum (just roaming ebay).

i'm in no hurry, so i might find a better deal, but if i can't close that price gap, do you think i'd lose much braking power if i settled on the drum (the front will be disc also)? thanks for any help.
Old 02-12-15, 10:19 AM
garage sale GT
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Philphine
still playing with the idea of modding a coker monster. i think i've decided on a sturmey archer 5sp hub (still working out gear ratios to decide if it's a good choice). they come in coaster, rim, drum and disc. yes i know a monster isn't going to be high performance bike, but i'd still like to make a good choice for braking.

i don't really want a coaster brake, because it might interfere with other ideas, and i'm not interested in rim brakes. for the moment i'm seeing a decent deal on a drum brake model, but wondering if discs would be best, since i can go with a larger rotor to compensate for the larger wheel (saw a 255mm that would be interesting). i can weld well enough to put the caliper where i need it. at this particular moment the disc model i'm seeing is a good bit higher than the drum (just roaming ebay).

i'm in no hurry, so i might find a better deal, but if i can't close that price gap, do you think i'd lose much braking power if i settled on the drum (the front will be disc also)? thanks for any help.
I had a late model Sturmey Archer 70mm front drum brake on a 26 inch bike and I managed to loosen the reaction arm. I would definitely be concerned if the wheels were putting 36/26 times more torque on the brakes. I am an entry level clyde but not all that unusually heavy. Why not contact the maker and see if they think you're picking the right hub?

Rim brakes may be the best choice because you're not exerting more torque on anything that way.
Old 02-12-15, 01:29 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5767 Post(s)
Liked 2,541 Times in 1,407 Posts
The torque differential isn't going to be much of a factor either way. You will have to squeeze the lever harder for the same stopping rate, but the total heat generated relates to the mass being braked (you and the bike) not the wheel size.

If you look at the coaster brake world, they normally used identical brakes on bikes from 16" to 26", so you should feel free to use the brake of your choice.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-12-15, 02:48 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I'll add that the large rotor diameters make for far more disk rub potentials. Just ask any modern tandem team. But I do like keeping the disk size proportional to the tire diameter. Andy.
Old 02-13-15, 02:28 PM
garage sale GT
Banned

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
If you look at the coaster brake world, they normally used identical brakes on bikes from 16" to 26", so you should feel free to use the brake of your choice.
Maybe, maybe not. Some brakes have less margin for error than others. A coaster brake would be designed to work on any inexpensive, commonly available bike type, but that does not include 36".

Spoke fatigue may also be worse with such large rims and hub brakes.