Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tell me all about goatheads

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-30-22, 10:43 AM
Gunther20
Gunther20

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3; Trek Boone 5; Raleigh Revenio; Fuji Altamira

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

This winter keeps dragging on and I'm getting closer to making plans to drive south for a weekend of real outside cycling and it got me thinking about whether I might find goatheads wherever I go.

To my knowledge, these little buggers do not exist in Minnesota. At least I haven’t seen one here anyway. My only encounter with one was while driving through western Kansas my daughter wanted to stop at a wheat field. I pulled into a farm driveway, she got out with bare feet, and promptly found one stuck to the bottom of her foot! So western Kansas, check. Tell me what other states they can be found in.

Also, are goatheads only an issue when they are actively growing or are they a year-round nuisance? Do you have to ride over the plants or can you pick up the thorns anywhere? Even on the road or on a trail?

Finally, what can be done to mitigate the issue? Are there certain tires, tire liners that have been proven effective? Yes I am already aware that a tubeless setup can be effective. I don’t need this thread to turn into a tube/tubeless argument, just want to gain a better understanding of goatheads.
Old 01-30-22, 12:52 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Nevada, at least near reno. I don't ride over plants (road). But still pick them up from time to time. In my experience they need to be dry to do their job.
Old 01-30-22, 02:24 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts
I lived in Albuquerque, and I believe that is the goat head epicenter. There is a bike path that parallels hwy 40 that has a gauntlet of four foot high goat head bushes. (usually goat heads come from a closer to the ground, yellow flowering vine), be there were at least four feet tall. There must have been thousands of those little devils on the ground. Fortunately, I lived less than a mile away. I knew that my tubes were toast. I just sprinted for as far as I could before I was riding on the rim. When riding off road, this is usually a good reason to stay on the main trail. On the road, cars are your allies. When it comes down to goat head thorn VS car tire, the car tire wins. When road riding in goat head country, it is an advantage to ride in the road were if a thorn is in the road, it gets flattened by a car tire, won't give you a flat. The way to do this is to ride with a rear mirror, and monitor cars back.
Old 01-30-22, 02:32 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 955 Post(s)
Liked 1,619 Times in 1,039 Posts
Young GI stepped on a Goat Head in Ft Greely Alaska. Of course it had hitched a ride from West Texas in his gear bag. To be sure it was disposed of with extreme prejudice...
Old 01-30-22, 02:47 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
They've got them in Eastern Washington.
I haven't seen them in Eastern Oregon, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were around some.

You'll probably find them in semi-arid places across the USA. The same places you might find tumbleweed.
Old 01-30-22, 02:56 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,502 Times in 3,346 Posts
Here is a map of where to avoid riding your bike!!!

Likes For CliffordK:
Old 01-30-22, 03:30 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
There are a lot of good posts on this forum about goatheads. I think Stuart @cyccommute did the best one
https://www.bikeforums.net/20886140-post10.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tribulus_terrestris

The plant is a low dark green weed with little yellow flowers in season. The seed pod looks like a little skull with horns sticking out, thus the name. The spines are slivers about a quarter inch long and stick up like a caltrop. The hardened seed pods are there year round... true of most things in this half of the country where it only rains a few months out of the year, or even only a few times a year, and the small plants go to seed and die pretty quickly. They grow wherever the desert hardpan has been turned over by humans and yes they do get you on the road because they grow in pavement cracks. Actually maybe more common around suburbs because there's year round water supply.

I do tubeless, but all the kinds of tire armor can be effective too.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 01-30-22 at 03:35 PM.
Likes For Darth Lefty:
Old 01-30-22, 03:45 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Oh, and if all you know about this desert you learned from Westerns, goatheads are not cacti and not from tumbleweeds, a totally different weed.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kali_tragus
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 01-30-22, 04:30 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

weird that they stop right at the southern border.
Likes For spelger:
Old 01-30-22, 04:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
They're attached to ornery creatures.
Old 01-30-22, 04:40 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK

Beyond the Cascades. Rumor is there's a whole continent that way. I guess this explains why I've never seen them, I grew up in the north east and then once I moved out here Sherman Pass is as far east as I've ridden, usually no further than the Methow.
Old 01-30-22, 05:23 PM
Inusuit

Bikes: 1995 Specialized Rockhopper,1989 Specialized Rock Combo, 2013 Specialized Tarmac Elite

Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 278 Posts
Had them in eastern Colorado. Haven't seen any in southeast Wyoming. And I ride lots of country roads and cow paths.
Likes For Inusuit:
Old 01-30-22, 05:35 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Usually they are more of a problem in the fall. Don’t ride over the plants!
On my commuter bike I use a ‘self-sealing’ inner tube which works fine since they make little holes in your tube.
Also resist the urge to pull them out of the tire if you see one stuck, wait until you get home unless you go flat.
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 01-30-22, 06:42 PM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 10234 Post(s)
Liked 5,178 Times in 2,222 Posts
Don’t know what Goat Heads are, but we have little prickly balls of doom in certain areas of Virginia. I grew up calling them chiggers, but they are tire killers for sure. Yorktown has a healthy population as well as ft. Monroe. Havnt seen them anywhere else where I usually ride. Avoid the grass and you are usually good.
Old 01-30-22, 08:13 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3370 Post(s)
Liked 5,491 Times in 2,844 Posts
Originally Posted by Inusuit
Had them in eastern Colorado. Haven't seen any in southeast Wyoming. And I ride lots of country roads and cow paths.
I moved to Colorado (Denver area) in 1996.
Within 2 weeks, I had all 4 tires on 2 bikes flatted by goatheads.
Likes For Shimagnolo:
Old 01-30-22, 08:38 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4363 Post(s)
Liked 3,000 Times in 1,853 Posts
As a fellow Minnesotan, I was unaware when I first encountered them riding outside of Las Vegas some years ago. But the way I got into trouble was by riding off the shoulder onto an unpaved surface.

I've returned to that area many times since, almost always in January as a deep winter escape, and never had another goathead flat. I know they are also on the pavement, but not nearly so abundant.
Old 01-30-22, 09:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Pretty much all of NorCal. Tubeless helps. And don’t pull them out till you get home.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-31-22, 03:33 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,269 Times in 1,272 Posts
Southern California is plagued with them. I would say 90% of my flats are from those nasty little things. Listen to caloso, leave them in until you get home! If they are stuck to your tire, they have already pierced the tube, in my experience. Down here the wind blows them onto the roadway so you don’t even have to go off-road.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 01-31-22, 09:40 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8259 Post(s)
Liked 8,991 Times in 4,452 Posts
When they dry out the wind blows them around and you can pick them up anywhere on the road. It's weird that we might not see any for months, then several people will get flats on one ride.
Likes For big john:
Old 01-31-22, 02:07 PM
seedsbelize2

Bikes: 79 Trek 930 is back on the road, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe,87 Schwinn Prelude, 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Quoted: 3164 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,150 Posts
I believe we have them here, but have never pulled one off a tire. Plenty stuck to my pants though.
Old 01-31-22, 03:25 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
One time I pulled a dozen goatheads out of an mtb tire (25psi tubeless with Stan's sealant), when my front wheel went a few inches off the singletrack (and not a single one in my rear tire oddly enough), and every one sealed instantly when pulled out.

I've had MANY more flats on the road bike due to very small metal shards (some say its from steel belted tires), and the only place to get away from those is on the mtb single track, which brings us full circle back to the goatheads.
Old 01-31-22, 04:36 PM
billridesbikes

Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize2
I believe we have them here, but have never pulled one off a tire. Plenty stuck to my pants though.
That sounds like some kind of thistle maybe. These are like a tougher rose thorn with a seed head that makes them stand up at a perfect angle to puncture your tire! They aren’t sticky, but if you step on one it’s not fun.
t
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 02-05-22, 01:01 AM
Fredo76
The Wheezing Geezer

Bikes: 1976 Fredo Speciale, Jamis Citizen 1, Ellis-Briggs FAVORI, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr.

Quoted: 411 Post(s)
Liked 895 Times in 440 Posts
Goatheads are evil.

I spent maybe 10 hours early last fall weeding my street. Neighbors would drive by looking at me and wondering WTF?, I'm sure. I probably filled a dozen or so kitchen-size garbage bags with whole mats of the creeping plant, complete with yellow flowers and dozens to hundreds of the little green dingle-balls that dry out into the thorns. You have to get them before they start drying out, or the little dingle-balls (botany term) fall off too easily. I don't really know how many goatheads I got rid of, but I would guess 5-10,000. I think I reduced my chances of getting a flat in the first and last 0.3 miles of any ride, substantially. But once I'm past the stop sign, I'm on my own.

My workhorse bike has thorn-resistant tubes and Mr Tuffy tire liners, but they are very heavy. I've gone with sealant instead for my other two, and that means removable valve-core tubes are needed. Any Schrader valve will work. Presta valves with removable valve cores are less common, but available. Might as well put the sealant in before you have the flat, is my advice. I use Slime for butyl tubes, and Stan's for latex tubes.

Good luck with the goatheads!

Last edited by Fredo76; 02-05-22 at 01:15 AM.
Likes For Fredo76:
Old 02-06-22, 03:53 PM
Broctoon
Super-duper Genius

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 768 Post(s)
Liked 984 Times in 508 Posts
As others have mentioned, these things pose the greatest risk in summer and early fall when they are mature and dry. In the springtime they are small and green and don't usually puncture. Likewise in late fall and winter when the ground is wet and they get soggy and kind of soft.

The plant that produces them, which we call a "puncture vine," grows flat along the ground, with a central hub that sends out numerous long, straight stems (like rays), each of which can have several branches spreading off it, with many tiny, sage green leaves among which the thorns are hidden. A mature plant can produce hundreds of thorns each season. I've seen them reach up to 10 or 12 feet in diameter (arms six feet long, going in every direction). They are not particularly hard to pull up, if you carefully watch where you're grabbing. They have only one long, narrow root going straight down from the center.

They are an opportunistic weed that grows where other green plants won't. They thrive in hard, dry, rocky ground and will even take root in pavement cracks and expansion joints. They love hot, dry environments, but will not grow well anywhere that gets plenty of water. They don't grow well anywhere that they have to compete for sunlight; even moderately healthy grass will choke them out.

When mountain biking in desert areas, there is of course a risk of running into them anywhere, however most knobby tires are thick enough to prevent a high risk of punctures. The individual thorns (like goat horns) are usually only about 5mm long at most, however they are very sharp and quite hard late in the season. When road biking, you have to watch for them alongside roads and paths, as the rays can reach several feet across the pavement. They are a real threat to bike tires with inner tubes. In Utah, I've suffered dozens of flats from them before switching to tubeless tires on most of my bikes. As shown in a picture above, they can be a nuisance when they gather in the soles of your shoes, as they can get tracked into the house and then sometimes fall out in the carpet. And they can be a real problem for dogs, getting stuck in their paws.

Last edited by Broctoon; 02-06-22 at 04:00 PM.
Old 04-30-23, 03:15 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.