Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Schwinn Super Sport (pics, questions)

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Schwinn Super Sport (pics, questions)

Old 03-02-07, 04:50 PM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I still have all the original gear which was on my 1981 Super Sport. Here's a couple of pics of the Schwinn tyres:

- Wil
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
P3020006.jpg (85.7 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg
P3020007.jpg (83.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 03-02-07, 05:38 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
The beef, That r derailer looks original. If it is, have you compared the date code to the list on the Vingtage Trek web site? If you add the front dr, you would have two dates that might validate the year your bike was sold.
Old 03-02-07, 06:54 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by cuda2k
Rear derailleur looks shimano, likely that someone took a polishing wheel to it to clean it up and in the process removed all of the markings. cudak888 did something simular with a Shimano light action derailleur with very impressive results.
Looks like a polished SORA to me...

-Kurt

Old 03-02-07, 06:59 PM
Garandman
Fred

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Super Sp0rt, Trek hybrid, eBike, Xootr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Awesome - thank you!
Old 03-02-07, 07:03 PM
McDave

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Garandman
Does anyone know if the original tires were gumwalls? I'm not going to stress about it but that would be a nice touch.
Original tires were 700x25 and look to be a very light tan gumwall.
Old 03-05-07, 01:20 AM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
The beef, That r derailer looks original. If it is, have you compared the date code to the list on the Vingtage Trek web site? If you add the front dr, you would have two dates that might validate the year your bike was sold.
Ah, yes! Had not thought of that! I compared the date codes with Vintage-Trek's database.

Front derailleur: "YE" - May 1982. Rear derailleur: "YC" - March 1982.

My original guess was correct: this bike was most likely manufactured in 1982.

Thanks!
Old 03-06-07, 04:26 PM
Garandman
Fred

Bikes: 1983 Schwinn Super Sp0rt, Trek hybrid, eBike, Xootr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The handlebars that came with the bike say Sakae, so the original must have been replaced somewhere along the line.

I haven't had any luck searching for the SR bars mentioned as original. Are they available? I'm still using the time trial bars.
Old 03-06-07, 05:14 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
Looks like a polished SORA to me...

-Kurt
Agreed, you wouldn't have to polish much, just remove the sticker and wipe it down and Viola!
Old 03-29-07, 12:46 PM
markewallace
Big member

Bikes: Yeti MTB, Giant OCR2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just how much of a touring bike is it?

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
For 1981 the Super Sport was listed directly beneath the Superior for non-Paramount bikes. The Superior listed for $850 and the Super Sport for $549.95. It was listed as a touring bicycle with 4130 chrome-moly double butted top and down tubes.
I'm jumping into this thread really late, but since it's here, I have a question about Okie's comment above.

I'm interested in getting into fully-loaded touring and have been shopping for a new bike to do that with. Today it occurred to me that I have an old Schwinn Super Sport out in the garage that might be suitable. Like the OP's bike, it is early 1980's vintage. Looks almost exactly the same.

The bike has all (or at least, most) original equipment on it still, since it hasn't been ridden since the 80's. Assuming that I had a bike shop check it out, tune it up, and replace anything that needed replacing, how suitable a bike would this thing be for loaded touring ala TransAm, TransTexas, etc...?

Thanks,
Old 03-29-07, 01:39 PM
Sierra
Uff Da!

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 90 Posts
The '81 & '82 models were aimed at touring and as such had triples on them and long cage rear derailleurs. The '83 model looked much the same paint and decal wise, but it was a 12 speed double and the catalog says it was aimed toward entry level competition. I don't know if the frame geometry changed or not(you would think that it would).
Old 03-29-07, 07:10 PM
dtipton

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Just came in from putting 30 miles on my 81 super sport. I find it to be very comfortable and a more than capable ride.
Old 03-29-07, 07:37 PM
markewallace
Big member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dtipton
Just came in from putting 30 miles on my 81 super sport. I find it to be very comfortable and a more than capable ride.
And I remember it as such from way back when. What I don't really have a feel for is:

1) How well it (the frame, really) would hold up to legitimate loaded touring.
2) How serviceable it would be at Bob's Bike Shop in Middle Of Nowhere, USA
3) How upgradeable the bike is. If I want to, for example, upgrade this thing from its current 15-speed drive train to a 27-speed drive train, what would it take and how accessible would the parts be?
4) What other things should be upgraded just because of how old they are? For example, perhaps the rims are okay, but are more modern rims better and thus worth upgrading?

You get the idea. I can buy a new touring bike if need be, but I'd love to be able to use this Super Sport if it's reasonable (and cost-effective) to do so.

Cheers,
Old 03-29-07, 08:38 PM
tenordl

Bikes: early 50's Chemineau, 59 Hercules, 81 Schwinn Super Sport, Columbus SL/Campy racer, Univega Mountain Bike, Univega 7-speed commuter, 73 Raleigh DL1, 66 Raleigh Sports, Fiorelli Tandems, Schwinn Twinn tandem, Humber Sports, Raleigh Super Course, etc.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Mark,
I still have my 81 Super Sport with the front and rear racks, and have upgraded to indexed shifting. I think it's an excellent tourer, and have toured on it with front and rear paniers with no trouble. I did put larger tires on it, though. The frame angles are a little tight for a touring bike, and if you want fenders and bigger tires it's a tight squeeze, but I have fenders and have used 32mm tires. I prefer 28s. I like the tight frame angles. The bike handles well and is very comfortable. There are some pics here: https://community.webshots.com/user/tenordl

David L
Old 03-29-07, 08:45 PM
markewallace
Big member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, David. Actually, I had seen your pics already, but it's nice to get a little bit of confirmation that this thing might work for me. I recall how much I enjoyed this bike on 30-40 mile rides as a teenager, but doing a loaded TransAm (for example) is a horse of a different color. If I'm to consider doing this, I want to be as sure as possible that I won't find some gotcha in the middle of nowhere that makes me regret not having bought a new bike.

Cheers,
Old 03-30-07, 09:11 AM
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon

Bikes: (see https://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tenordl
Mark,
I still have my 81 Super Sport with the front and rear racks, and have upgraded to indexed shifting. I think it's an excellent tourer, and have toured on it with front and rear paniers with no trouble. I did put larger tires on it, though. The frame angles are a little tight for a touring bike, and if you want fenders and bigger tires it's a tight squeeze, but I have fenders and have used 32mm tires. I prefer 28s. I like the tight frame angles. The bike handles well and is very comfortable. There are some pics here: https://community.webshots.com/user/tenordl

David L
Nice bike! I have an '81 Schwinn SS in exactly the same colour scheme, but mine has a 21½" frame. I still have all its original gear, although I've changed many things. Good call on the tyres; I find that 28s are the most comfortable on a long ride.

I also have a 2005 Bianchi, but on a really long ride, I think the Schwinn is more comfortable as its wheelbase is a good 1½" longer than that of the Bianchi.

- Wil

PS: New hubs/gears will give you a far better choice in gearing, as well as better shifting. I still use the original crankset which came with mine, and at the moment I have a 13-23 7-speed cassette on a Shimano Ultegra hub, with Ultegra derailleurs. Upgrading the gearing is a must if you're intending to tour.

Last edited by Wil Davis; 03-30-07 at 09:19 AM.
Old 03-30-07, 10:53 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Sierra
The '81 & '82 models were aimed at touring and as such had triples on them and long cage rear derailleurs. The '83 model looked much the same paint and decal wise, but it was a 12 speed double and the catalog says it was aimed toward entry level competition. I don't know if the frame geometry changed or not(you would think that it would).
My Super Sport, (see 1st post of this thread) with Suntour Cyclone components dated as 1982, has a classic double with no frame eyelets. Maybe after all it's a 1983 with 1982 parts on it? Hmm...

That said, I've been riding the Super Sport often lately, seeing as how it's my only complete bike (my current Bianchi build is taking a while). Seriously, I feel just as fast on this beautiful 22 lb machine as I do on my 17 lb modern racing bike. What an amazing bike. I can't complain.