Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Nashbar Frame - Who Made It?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-07, 06:32 PM
tenordl

Bikes: early 50's Chemineau, 59 Hercules, 81 Schwinn Super Sport, Columbus SL/Campy racer, Univega Mountain Bike, Univega 7-speed commuter, 73 Raleigh DL1, 66 Raleigh Sports, Fiorelli Tandems, Schwinn Twinn tandem, Humber Sports, Raleigh Super Course, etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Does anyone know who made this Nashbar frame? The frame was purchased on a close-out sale in 1985. I bought it because it had Columbus SL tubing, and the price was right, plus it looked pretty.

It's a nice riding, comfortable bike.

David L
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Lug work sm.jpg (60.8 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg
Racing Bike 1.jpg (81.0 KB, 137 views)
Old 04-13-07, 07:09 PM
ollo_ollo

Bikes: Still have a few left!

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 529 Times in 267 Posts
I have an 86 Nashbar Sport RS but Yours is a whole level above it. Mine is equipped with SunTour ARX & had a made in Japan sticker with another sticker on the seat tube that says Special Sports CR MO Double Butted Tubing. it has another sticker on the chain stay that says "The finest bicycles in the world" & because of this, I think the frame was made by Sekai, as they put this slogan on their bikes. Have you contacted Nashbar? Columbus SL sounds like Italian to me, what is the bottom bracket threading?
Old 04-14-07, 09:02 AM
tenordl

Bikes: early 50's Chemineau, 59 Hercules, 81 Schwinn Super Sport, Columbus SL/Campy racer, Univega Mountain Bike, Univega 7-speed commuter, 73 Raleigh DL1, 66 Raleigh Sports, Fiorelli Tandems, Schwinn Twinn tandem, Humber Sports, Raleigh Super Course, etc.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I haven't contacted Nashbar, yet, but I still have the catalog. It says the threading is Italian. I'll quote the rest of the specs on the catalog page later, right now I have to go. BTW, there are more pictures on the Webshots page (see link below).

David L
Old 04-14-07, 01:09 PM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The blurb in the catalog says: Frame, Columbus SL tubing with Columbus Aero Seatstays; short point lugs with cutouts; Investment cast semi-sloping aero fork crown; downtube shifter bosses, 3 top tube cable guides, downtube bottle cage bosses, underside bottom bracket cable guides, chainstay cable guide, chain hanger; Italian fasback seatstay attachment with blind allen key seatpost bolt; Frame is entirely chromed. The main triangle is painted with translucent Candy Blue while the head tube lugs, seat lug, rear triangle and fork are left in the chrome finish. 6-speed spacing. Accepts allen bolt short reach brakes. 700c wheel clearance. Italian threaded.Sizes (measured center to center of seat lug); seatpost size: 26.6 48, 50, 52, 54, 56, 60, 62, 64cm. $336.00

David L
Old 04-14-07, 01:16 PM
el twe
crotchety young dude

Bikes: IRO Angus; Casati Gold Line; Redline 925; '72 Schwinn Olympic Paramount

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No clue, but that's quite nice. There's a chance that it was some sort of commission deal with a smaller Italian frame builder to make these generic frames and ship them back to the states to be sold by Nashbar.
Old 04-14-07, 01:34 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Prugnat lugs for sure. I was almost going to say Windsor until you said Italian threading.

-Kurt

Old 04-14-07, 08:14 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I remember those frames from the Nashbar catalog at the time. It was on my list of candidates before I decided to go with an early Cannondale. I seem to remember them claiming to be Italian made. There was no real Taiwanese competition then and I'd think a Japanese or American maker would've used English threading.

Old 04-15-07, 12:41 AM
gm1230126
barnfullagts

Bikes: GT BI Ti/BI Steel - Edge Ti and Steel Xizang Ti and Psyclone Steel

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Any serial number on the frame that might help us determine the maker?
Old 04-15-07, 01:28 AM
mastershake916

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How old is nashbar?
Old 04-15-07, 07:22 AM
tenordl

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No numbers anywhere on the frame. The catalog has a copyright of 1985.

David L