Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Mpls Greenway riders - need info.

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-08, 06:36 PM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I need cycling info of the most crucial sort. What is the name of the Asian restaurant that you can smell from the Greenway at about Grand Ave. or just east thereof. Damm, that place smells so good I nearly crash from going lightheaded with hunger every time I ride by, and I always vow to find out the name. I rode by that stretch today, and swooned from how good it smells.
Old 03-08-08, 10:24 PM
Joe Dog
One Hep Cat

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check (commuter), Lemond Sarthe (sports car), Schwinn fixed gear conversion (for fun)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If it's Asian it might be Chiang Mai. That's near there at 3001 Hennepin Ave. Chino Latino and Bar Abilene are also close (Hennepin and Fremont or something, respectively)

Website
Old 03-08-08, 10:43 PM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the reply, but it's several blocks east of there I think -- Grand is up closer to Lyndale. Maybe I'll just have to get ambitious and get off the trail and explore. As good as this place smells, I figured someone would know it.
Old 03-08-08, 10:46 PM
Intheloonybin

Bikes: 1987 Denti w dura ace (road)/ "cheap" Jamis (mtn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Might have to give it a couple of days until people are at work.

I'm curious too... Will check it out if you find it .
Old 03-09-08, 01:40 PM
Joe Dog
One Hep Cat

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check (commuter), Lemond Sarthe (sports car), Schwinn fixed gear conversion (for fun)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah - I know there are a lot of pretty good places around Lyn-Lake but I can't think of any Asian places of the top of my head. We probably all need to get off the path and explore a little bit.

Website
Old 03-10-08, 08:09 AM
turtle77
break-beats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The only thing I can think of (and I used to live between Lake and 31st on Lyndale) is Fuji-Ya, but that would probably be more of a Japanese steakhouse kind of smell. On Nicollet, you'd start to run into more stuff too, like Chang's Garden, but it sounds like you weren't that far east (sorry for the pun ).

I, too, am very interested in what you find and may go looking today.
Old 03-10-08, 04:44 PM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, so I got off the trail determined to find this place. The only place I could find was an African Plaza/Bazaar type of place with a few restaurants -- none of which had a name that sounded asian. It's not a great section of town, and with all the one-way's, I wouldn't recommend taking the tour. This might have to remain a mystery. Thanks to those who responded.
Old 03-10-08, 09:52 PM
turtle77
break-beats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, thanks to you for checkin' it out!
Old 03-11-08, 03:37 PM
bkrownd
kipuka explorer

Bikes: 1994 Trek 820, 2004 Fuji Absolute, 2005 Jamis Nova, 1977 Schwinn Scrambler 36/36

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ginsoakedboy
I need cycling info of the most crucial sort. What is the name of the Asian restaurant that you can smell from the Greenway at about Grand Ave. or just east thereof. Damm, that place smells so good I nearly crash from going lightheaded with hunger every time I ride by, and I always vow to find out the name. I rode by that stretch today, and swooned from how good it smells.
Pfff, rub it in! I hate you and your wonderful commute and your wonderful seasons and your selection of wonderful-smelling restaurants and all that wonderful stuff. IT'S NOT FAIR!!!!
Old 03-12-08, 06:58 AM
msliam

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There's a Vietnamese place called Pho Tau Bay near 28th and Nicollet (low on ambience but the food is good). Could that be what you're smelling?
Old 03-12-08, 11:16 AM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I did see that place when I got off the trail at Nicollet and wondered if that was it. I don't know -- the smell that has me obsessed really hits you a few blocks west of there at about Grand. When I got off the trail, I figured it would just be a simple matter of following my nose, but it wasn't that easy.

Now, you want to talk about good asian places on Nicollet -- anyone tried the Peninsula? Wow - Malaysian cuisine - amazing. And Quang, the Vietnamese place that is on about 27th across from Christos. Damn -- getting hungry and here it is lunch time.

Maybe we need a new thread about cyclist-friendly restaurant recommendations for our city.