Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Bearing sizes...?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Bearing sizes...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-08, 08:59 PM
NASCARMANIAC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearing sizes...?

I just bought a new bike and noticed that the front fork steering is real stiff...So i loosened up the top cap and stem. I now have play in the top bearings and fork stem. Does this sound like I have the wrong bearings? I have an 06 columbia omnitrail pro
Old 03-21-08, 09:09 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Sounds like you may have loosened it up a little bit too much. Loosen the stem, tighten the top cap, but not quite as much as it was originally, then tighten the stem. Repeat as necessary until the fork turns freely and without play in the headset.
Old 03-21-08, 09:09 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
It sounds like you loosened things up too much!
https://www.parktool.com/repair/byreg...mageField2.y=9
Old 03-22-08, 11:19 AM
NASCARMANIAC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ive adjusted my stems before, but have never had this happen before. I either have it so tight that its tough to move or the play in the fork is about 3-4 cm at the axel. there is no happy median like usual. Also my dustcap isn't sitting on the bearings like on my other bikes...
Old 03-22-08, 08:27 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
3-4 centimeters? The hub axle?
Old 03-23-08, 02:52 PM
NASCARMANIAC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
if i grab my fork and shake it back and forth, it will move 3-4 cm. Ive found that the bottom bearings in the headset are relatively tight but at the top of my headset the steerer(i think thats what its called : the tube in the headset connected to my fork) has about 1 mm of space on either side between the bearings and its edge.
Old 03-24-08, 07:17 PM
NASCARMANIAC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ok so i tore apart my old headse and found alittle rubber piece on my mongoose which was not on my new bike. So i put it on and now everything works real well. One thing tho is I think something may be still off because my dust cover is sitting higher than my old bike...
Old 03-25-08, 06:08 AM
turtle77
break-beats

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Umm, where did you buy this bike? I would take it back right away and make sure they correct the problem. There should be NOTHING wrong with a new bike.
Old 03-25-08, 06:11 AM
fosmith
my brain hurts!

Bikes: Numerous bicycles.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sounds like a bearing might be installed upside down....
Old 03-25-08, 04:57 PM
NASCARMANIAC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i bought it at sportmart at a clearence because they are moving. I can't take it back for another few days but i will soon enough. Bearing upside down sounds like something to look into. Now should the bearing crown(holds the bearings) be facing up owards the dust shield or against the race in the headset?
Old 03-25-08, 05:07 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
They've got something in wrong or in the wrong order. You should be able to add in the correct amount of preload on the bearings and feel the resistance build up as you do so. The fact that it's an all or nothing deal means they screwed it up.

If you look at it yourself then look for the the usual cup and cone setup. Check to make sure the rounded cone faces are towards the bearings. Also be sure they installed the bearing rings with the cages facing the right way. If they put them in upside down on either side the cage won't fit between the cup and cone on the right angle.

Or if by some chance they are cartridge bearings you'll see that the faces of the inner race are larger on one side than the other. The larger face should face up on the upper race and down on the lower race.

Check for the split taper ring on the upper portion as well. I saw a bike arrive at a dealer and that part was missing for some reason. Without it you can't center the upper part of the stem and it'll rattle around like this if you loosen things up at all.
Old 03-25-08, 05:23 PM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by NASCARMANIAC
i bought it at sportmart...
I'm not familiar with sportmart, but it sounds like a sporting goods store not a dedicated bike shop. So I assume that the bike is basically similar to what is found at wally world.

If so, then maybe your headtube is not faced properly and the headset cups are not square to each other?
Old 03-25-08, 08:20 PM
NASCARMANIAC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think you nailed it with the split taper ring. Is it rubber with a beveled edge and notches? I stoll one of my old bike and everything seems good now, but my dustcap still seems alittle hight so I may have 2 of something. Supcom just for future reference sportmart is a sporting goods store that sells bikes skies hockey football baseball and basketball equipement depending on the season. They sell good equipement not the best not the worst.