Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

The car-free teenager thread

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

The car-free teenager thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-08, 06:53 AM
chrism32205

Bikes: Bianchi Axis (commuter), Specialized Tricross S-Works, BMC Team Machine SLT01, Mercier Kilo TT

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Obstinate
I'd like to chime in on this thread .

I'm 16. Driving fever is starting to pick up with some of my more outgoing acquaintances. This occuring just as I discovered a love for cycling. In May I aggressively looking for a bike on craigslist that had drop style handlebars and "looked cool and went fast". I found it, and after that I discovered a newfound freedom. Ever since I was young I've been completely fascinated by public transit. I love the ebb and flow of the city, the energy that occurs from it, the compact demeanor of urban cities. I fell in love young. Yet sadly, I live about 20 miles south of that, in suburban Carson. Though luckily, I'm 30 minutes away from the ebb and flow; there is a train station 2 miles from my house. Yet the only thing that made me even consider driving was the fact that the bus to the train was so far. Same thing with the bus to school, took forever. Then came cycling.

With the bicycle, I found the aforementioned newfound freedom. I was able to go everywhere I needed without the stress associated with being in my mom's car listening to music I didn't like blaring through the speakers . I live 4.2 miles from school; I arrive in 16 minutes. I work at the Pike in Long Beach; the ride to the train station is 7 minutes, and the train ride is 22 minutes. If I want to go to LA, 7 minutes, 35 minute train ride. I am neither mired by time constraints nor bus schedules. Distance never stops me from getting anywhere I want. And neither does money. I work once a week for only four hours and get paycheck of around $60 every two weeks, which makes me more than happy. I neither have to send that money away to foreign oil interests, nor to the state of California. My stress levels, paycheck, and overall peace of mind is in my control.

Not only that, but the bicycle fits my lifestyle. I've never been the one to hop from party to party constantly, though I do enjoy the occasional outing. I plan my days down to the last detail; planning a few minutes to organize my bag so it doesn't feel weird on my back is simply another minute or two to prepare in the morning. When I'm riding in crosstown traffic, I am able to float about across town, my head in the clouds and listening intently to whatever soothes or excites me. The traffic is forever manageable; my legs in a repetitive, therapeutic cyclical motion. To put it short, one could find beauty in riding down the busiest of thoroughfares.

So in short, when my mom approached me with the prospect of getting a license, I thought about it for all of two seconds, smiled, and said "No thanks." 'Why in the world would a 16 year old turn down a license?' You might ask? Because cycling makes me happy. Traffic pisses people off, stress levels explode, and tensions rise. Driving makes people afraid of others. Driving limits your desire to go beyond certain distances to find the new, unique, and undiscovered. On a bicycle, this is simply not the case. Man was born with two legs; cars have only been around for less than a century. It isn't natures way for people to be cooped up in a metal contraption, unaware and afraid of everything outside their steel metal oblivion. And while many find it far-fetched to live a car free lifestyle for life, I simply turn their attention to places who have been doing so for decades, even centuries. Japan, Amsterdam, Sweden, London, New York City, Portland, the list goes on and on. And if a car-free lifestyle is what I desire, then one of these towns shall be the first stop to my brighter tomorrow. A stress-free tomorrow.
A very good post!!
Old 12-02-08, 07:14 AM
InfiniteRegress
Infinite Regress

Bikes: Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008), Jamis Aurora Cyclocross (2005), Trek WSD 2100 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by roughrider504
I hear a bunch about people living car free, but not anything about teens and car-free living. What do you think?
Ah, this post makes me heart swell with pride!! First off, good for you! Yes, you can live car free. All it takes is a little planning, a lot of confidence, and persistence. I grew up in the DC Metro area. I did get a car and my license when I was 16, but then I started riding my bike when I was 19 after my car broke down one morning and I really had to get to work. I do own a car and, while not totally car free, consider myself "car lite." My car is reserved for weekend trips and/or for taking my dogs where they need to go.

I would highly encourage you to go car free if you can. Definitely get your license and learn how to drive a car, though. You never know when you might be out with drunken friends and will have to become a designated driver. In addition, while I generally don't like cars, driving is a necessity for many jobs and for living in many areas of the country. So you should still learn how to drive safely.

Insurance costs and constantly changing gas prices is definitely a reason to stick to a bike. But there are also the health benefits. Do make sure that you have all the appropriate lighting, a helmet, and warm clothes.

Incidentally, I live in Montgomery County MD (just outside of DC) and I'm seeing more and more teens in this area riding bikes to school and other places. I really started noticing this during the past year when gas prices began to increase. Are we beginning to see a new trend?
Old 12-02-08, 07:30 AM
InfiniteRegress
Infinite Regress

Bikes: Dahon Speed Pro TT (2008), Jamis Aurora Cyclocross (2005), Trek WSD 2100 (2007)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd like to chime in on this thread . I'm 16. Driving fever is starting to pick up with some of my more outgoing acquaintances. This occuring just as I discovered a love for cycling. In May I aggressively looking for a bike on craigslist that had drop style handlebars and "looked cool and went fast". I found it, and after that I discovered a newfound freedom. Ever since I was young I've been completely fascinated by public transit. I love the ebb and flow of the city, the energy that occurs from it, the compact demeanor of urban cities. I fell in love young. Yet sadly, I live about 20 miles south of that, in suburban Carson. Though luckily, I'm 30 minutes away from the ebb and flow; there is a train station 2 miles from my house. Yet the only thing that made me even consider driving was the fact that the bus to the train was so far. Same thing with the bus to school, took forever. Then came cycling.....
OMG, you all are actually giving me hope that society may not be completely doomed after all. Thank you!!!
Old 12-07-08, 12:44 AM
kevinistheman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wasn't sure where to post this but I am looking for a new/used bike to continue doing just this. I'm 17 years old and attend a hs in Texas. I am one of two people that ride their bikes to school out of a school of 2000. I am looking to upgrade from my old, very small bmx bike to a road/mountain bike. I do not know much about bikes and was looking for a good bang for my buck bike with a max budget of $300 and preferably under $200
Old 12-08-08, 08:35 AM
Obstinate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know it might not sound very realistic to many people, but I don't forsee myself driving whatsoever. I just really wouldn't trust myself behind the wheel of a motor vehicle, or enjoy it at all. I figure if I ever have a family, I'll leave that job to my wife, or just walk or take public transit with my kids. I remember reading somewhere that shuttling your kids around everywhere in a car, they won't remember that years from now; walking them to school, they will remember though. Some good quality bonding time.
Old 12-08-08, 11:56 AM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinistheman
I wasn't sure where to post this but I am looking for a new/used bike to continue doing just this. I'm 17 years old and attend a hs in Texas. I am one of two people that ride their bikes to school out of a school of 2000. I am looking to upgrade from my old, very small bmx bike to a road/mountain bike. I do not know much about bikes and was looking for a good bang for my buck bike with a max budget of $300 and preferably under $200
repost this in the classic and vintage forum
Old 12-15-08, 06:54 AM
samsmeg
Wear a helmet

Bikes: 1975 Dawes Super Galaxy 531 tubes, 1998 Condor Squadra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 18 and I was car-free until I started my 4 year engineering apprenticeship which is 26 miles away and my college is 45 miles away. There is no public transport that is cheap/reasonably fast e.g i would need to take 2 buses which would take about 1hr 30mins and would cost about £8 return everyday. PLUS I had to take the responsibility off my parents for transporting my drum kit to various gigs. My use of the car is only for essential journeys and I try to ride my bike halfway to work every which is about 14 miles still.

Yes, you'll probably be thinking, why did he have to get work so far away... well I'm pretty sure you couldn't find a company as well founded and highly rated in the energy & chemicals field as the one I'm working for around this area (in fact it would be impossible). The price of getting/running a car vs the experience I will have with this company does not compare!

Sometimes you have to weigh up whats really feasible for what you want to do/achieve. I will probably someday live closer or work for a different company in which I could cycle everyday but for this stage of my learning/work experience I had to bite the bullet!

If I had gone down the full time college/uni route then I would no doubt be using a bicycle to get around.

But thats just my life,

SAm

ps oh i forgot that my girlfriend now lives about 120 miles away too so I use the car to visit her- it works out still cheaper than getting a coach etc and for trains don't even go there!
Old 12-15-08, 01:33 PM
iwegian
Steel snob by accident

Bikes: Masi steel cross, Torelli steel roadie, Brew steel bmx

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
winter is about to make being car free a *****. i'm glad i have friends.
Old 12-15-08, 10:38 PM
ProsecutedBiker
The Broke Biker ;)

Bikes: 1 Road Bike<-Won it =)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am only 14, and so I will get my lerners in January (when i turn 15).

My grandma is giving me her car, but I do not want to pay for the insurance. I'm thinking of taking the car, and selling it and getting a kick ass bike.

And as for dates? I'll be more fit and stronger then most people
Old 01-03-09, 02:04 AM
carbonjockey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^ +1 all of my girlfriends have pretty much known that the bikes came before them (maybe thats why i have had girlfriends,not just one steady one ha). That said i have a car for dates and ****, although my current ladyfriend keeps asking me to tow her around in a wagon behind my bike lol. most people will respect you for riding your bike as transportation, and the ones who dont would find something else to hate on you for anyways. If it saves you money, makes you feel good, and is good for the enviroment, just do it!

For all you wondering bout getting a license, do it. it is just one more resource to have (it has no minimum usage!).

just dont have your bike tricked out with horn, bulky light, rack, neon vest, etc, you'll make us look bad

Last edited by carbonjockey; 01-03-09 at 02:07 AM.
Old 01-04-09, 10:19 AM
Ruthy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
Roughrider504 you are really fortunate to have the knowledge that bicycles can be used for most of your transportation needs. Had I had a clue about this when I was younger I would be a much richer person today.

You don't need to be a car hater just because you ride a bicycle (not that you are one now). Just get a drivers license for those rare occasions when you might need to drive. Sometimes other people might need for you to drive their car. It has happened to me a few times.

You are under the age of 23 you can't rent a car yet, so that isn't a reason to get a license.

Being a car free teen might lead to a little peer pressure. Remember this, the only person who can feel the pressure is you. If you don't give value to negative comments from others about being car free then there can be no real peer pressure.

Teaching your friends about the benefits of being car free might make a difference. Maybe it wouldn't, but at least you will be letting them know of another possibility for their transportation needs.

The layout of your city and the types of mass transit will play a big part in your ability to remain car free easily.

What would your car insurance cost per year? Have your parents looked into it? If your parents make you pay for it, ask yourself if you want to work that many hours to pay for it. Honestly how many hours would you get to drive your parents cars per month? Unless you get your own car it would probably cost way too much per hour of use. Well, many people say any car costs too much to use.

If you can skip car ownership, do it. I wrote a book about money (How to Be Debt Free Fast!). Here is something that will give you a great retirement income; If you invest only $2000.00 per year for the next six years and don't ever invest again, you will retire a millionaire at age 65. This assumes the world doesn't go to hell and the stock market gives the same long term average increase in value. You are young enough to do this. If you wait till you are 21 to start you will lose tens of thousands of dollars in compound interest years from now.

Whaddya think about that?
Hi Smallwheels

I'm intrigued by your $2000 investment idea could you perhaps explain a little more?
Old 01-04-09, 11:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels

If you can skip car ownership, do it. I wrote a book about money (How to Be Debt Free Fast!). Here is something that will give you a great retirement income; If you invest only $2000.00 per year for the next six years and don't ever invest again, you will retire a millionaire at age 65. This assumes the world doesn't go to hell and the stock market gives the same long term average increase in value. You are young enough to do this. If you wait till you are 21 to start you will lose tens of thousands of dollars in compound interest years from now.

Whaddya think about that?
Originally Posted by Ruthy
Hi Smallwheels

I'm intrigued by your $2000 investment idea could you perhaps explain a little more?
I think it sounds like Bernie Madoff's sales pitch for his investment scheme.
Old 01-05-09, 03:30 AM
Obstinate

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a license, except for the whole "having to drive to get one" thing.

Plus, they expire and you've gotta pay more money to renew it?!??! Screw that: I'm moving to New York.
Old 01-05-09, 03:29 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I think it sounds like Bernie Madoff's sales pitch for his investment scheme.
Not at all. A small sum invested in a tax deferred account (I believe Roth IRA is most common) will yield enormous wealth by retirement age. The trick is, you have to be very young when you invest. I heard on the radio of a young person who invested just a few thousand dollars for retirement. He had danced in a Broadway show from age 8 to age 11.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 01-05-09, 04:13 PM
thebikingtechie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carbonjockey

just dont have your bike tricked out with horn, bulky light, rack, neon vest, etc, you'll make us look bad
What do you mean about making everyone look bad. In my opinion at least lights, and bright or reflective clothing are necessary for safety.
Old 01-18-09, 02:03 PM
davidj6n

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i'm 17 and i have a drivers license, but i also love to bike
i live in chicago and i go to school all the way across the city
me and my best friend just finished building a bike so that i can ride from the train instead of taking the bus to school
but as much as i love using the bike there is also a different sense of freedom in that my family does a lot of stuff so time to hang out with my friends during the day is limited so i often hang out with my friends late/ early morning and if any of us is under 17 then we have to contend with curfew and it is much more likely to get picked up for curfew on a bike than in a car. Also chicago is really cold and yea im a wimp but its still nice to be able to drive somewhere instead of bike an hour in -20 windchill
all that said i really dont drive that much
but i suggest any teen still get a license just to leave the possibility open
even if its only in case one of your friends drives somewhere and fro some reason cant drive home then you could drive
but i think its very possible to live car free while having a license and a license is a good back up to have just in case

and as far as im concerned a rack is essential for the longer rides with stuff a bag just gets hot and moves around on you
and if you arnt gonna have lights you have to at least have a blinkie on you
Old 01-19-09, 01:31 PM
minimalistDave

Bikes: '95-ish Scott mountain bike, converted for the streets

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Obstinate, you got it going on...

Man... if you can maneuver So Cal the way you say, you are at the top of the "proof it can be done" heap. What you're doing is going to be the future, whether folks now want to believe it or not -- to use an old word, you are the Vanguard. Add a bag with laptop, phone, tunes, water, nourishment of choice and you're good.... Kudos, man. Keep on keepin' on.

I'd like to chime in on this thread .

I'm 16. Driving fever is starting to pick up with some of my more outgoing acquaintances. This occuring just as I discovered a love for cycling. In May I aggressively looking for a bike on craigslist that had drop style handlebars and "looked cool and went fast". I found it, and after that I discovered a newfound freedom. Ever since I was young I've been completely fascinated by public transit. I love the ebb and flow of the city, the energy that occurs from it, the compact demeanor of urban cities. I fell in love young. Yet sadly, I live about 20 miles south of that, in suburban Carson. Though luckily, I'm 30 minutes away from the ebb and flow; there is a train station 2 miles from my house. Yet the only thing that made me even consider driving was the fact that the bus to the train was so far. Same thing with the bus to school, took forever. Then came cycling.

With the bicycle, I found the aforementioned newfound freedom. I was able to go everywhere I needed without the stress associated with being in my mom's car listening to music I didn't like blaring through the speakers . I live 4.2 miles from school; I arrive in 16 minutes. I work at the Pike in Long Beach; the ride to the train station is 7 minutes, and the train ride is 22 minutes. If I want to go to LA, 7 minutes, 35 minute train ride. I am neither mired by time constraints nor bus schedules. Distance never stops me from getting anywhere I want. And neither does money. I work once a week for only four hours and get paycheck of around $60 every two weeks, which makes me more than happy. I neither have to send that money away to foreign oil interests, nor to the state of California. My stress levels, paycheck, and overall peace of mind is in my control.

Not only that, but the bicycle fits my lifestyle. I've never been the one to hop from party to party constantly, though I do enjoy the occasional outing. I plan my days down to the last detail; planning a few minutes to organize my bag so it doesn't feel weird on my back is simply another minute or two to prepare in the morning. When I'm riding in crosstown traffic, I am able to float about across town, my head in the clouds and listening intently to whatever soothes or excites me. The traffic is forever manageable; my legs in a repetitive, therapeutic cyclical motion. To put it short, one could find beauty in riding down the busiest of thoroughfares.

So in short, when my mom approached me with the prospect of getting a license, I thought about it for all of two seconds, smiled, and said "No thanks." 'Why in the world would a 16 year old turn down a license?' You might ask? Because cycling makes me happy. Traffic pisses people off, stress levels explode, and tensions rise. Driving makes people afraid of others. Driving limits your desire to go beyond certain distances to find the new, unique, and undiscovered. On a bicycle, this is simply not the case. Man was born with two legs; cars have only been around for less than a century. It isn't natures way for people to be cooped up in a metal contraption, unaware and afraid of everything outside their steel metal oblivion. And while many find it far-fetched to live a car free lifestyle for life, I simply turn their attention to places who have been doing so for decades, even centuries. Japan, Amsterdam, Sweden, London, New York City, Portland, the list goes on and on. And if a car-free lifestyle is what I desire, then one of these towns shall be the first stop to my brighter tomorrow. A stress-free tomorrow.
Old 06-09-09, 06:08 PM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
A dirty, utilitarian and above all geeky bump

Old 06-09-09, 06:24 PM
GodsBassist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think I have those same handlebars. Do the brakes seem high to you? They're hard for me to reach with my short stubby fingers.

Good looking bike, btw.
Old 06-09-09, 06:58 PM
roughrider504

Bikes: bunch of junk

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
The handlebars are somewhat odd but really comfortable. The tops curve back almost exactly like the Nitto Noodle, even though it's a cheap steel handlebar probably from the 70's.

*Edit* [picture of handlebars]

The levers are easy to reach for me. I have my handlebar set up only an inch or two below the saddle and if it was lower, the lever would be harder to grab.

Last edited by roughrider504; 06-09-09 at 07:10 PM.
Old 07-10-09, 04:12 AM
cogs5555

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a license, except for the whole "having to drive to get one" thing.

Plus, they expire and you've gotta pay more money to renew it?!??! Screw that: I'm moving to New York.
If you only need need a drivers license for things like proof of id, have you considered simply getting a passport instead? It will serve the same purpose, and you can also travel overseas with the money you save by not having a car.
Old 07-10-09, 06:43 AM
EthanYQX
Why not?

Bikes: Giant STP 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by davidj6n
but i suggest any teen still get a license just to leave the possibility open
even if its only in case one of your friends drives somewhere and fro some reason cant drive home then you could drive
but i think its very possible to live car free while having a license and a license is a good back up to have just in case
That's what really bugs me from a practical standpoint. Until 25, here you have to be specifically insured on each individual vehicle you drive. Around $450 CA as secondary driver and a crazy $1200 a year as a primary driver.
Old 08-09-09, 07:46 PM
bikeveg
clodhopper

Bikes: 2009 bianchi verona

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 19 and car-free, living in suburbia. I can get to most places that I need to via bike paths, and when I'm in better shape I'll be able to get almost anywhere, really! Never got my license or permit. I do intend to get a license someday (in case). I've driven a few times and I really disliked it ... cars can be huge money drains (gas, repairs etc) ... repairs on a bike are much cheaper than repairs on a car! And I prefer burning calories to fossil fuel
Old 08-18-09, 01:20 AM
Chicagoan

Bikes: Fixie conversion, a few 10 speeds, a trailer, I GT Transeo for utilitarian riding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SO I'mabout to be17, and have just decided to wait til I'm 18 to get my license, too much trouble here in Illinois, with all the drunk driving teens.I have thinned outmy heard of Bicycles. Now I am downtoone andafewprojects. I have my old road fixie conversion that i love to death. A Free Spirit (sears) mtb that I have stripped and am running SS for now with the cassete. I did a nice rattlecanjob on it, and before winter I willhave the rear wheelrebuild with a flipflophub. this will be my scary conditions bike.
Old 09-03-09, 04:09 AM
Ska1234

Bikes: Specialized allez triple '09, Vista 10 speed, Stolen Brat BMX 2006.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
18 year old cyclist from michigan, car free.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.