Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

How Long Do I Need To Train?

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

How Long Do I Need To Train?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-09, 02:23 PM
redal

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
Since you're in the area, for fast group rides I suggest the Rose Bowl Ride Tues/Thu at 6:00pm, and the Montrose Ride leaving Descanso Gardens at 8:00am Saturdays. On the Montrose ride, you get a good 30 mile workout, and then turn your guts inside out when they reach the first hill of the ride. Go ahead and blow yourself up there because it's only 5 miles to go. Then as a newbie, you have an incentive to keep a decent pace so you don't lose sight of the other stragglers showing you where to turn to get to the finish.
Since you're in San Dimas, you have plenty of options with the Montrose ride since it goes right through San Dimas before it starts heading back to Sierra Madre. My suggestion would be to meet the ride on Longden or Arrow and head back toward San Dimas with the ride since Longden, Arrow and Gladstone are generally pretty fast. Stay with the group as long as you can and if you make it to the finish, leave earlier the next week and meet them farther out.

The Bud's ride is on Wed. nights at Bonelli Park. Three laps around the park and there are people that take shortcuts across the dam.
Old 04-17-09, 02:23 PM
umd
Banned

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac SL2, Specialized Tarmac SL, Giant TCR Composite, Specialized StumpJumper Expert HT

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by urbanknight
I must say that doesn't apply to everyone. When I "just ride a lot" I actually start to get a little slower and even start coming down with colds. I probably just have terrible genes, but if I'm not at least a little careful about how I ride, additional miles can actually get counterproductive. This isn't coming from a strong athlete, either... I'm a Cat 4 who can't seem to finish with the pack half the time.
But it's a good place to start for someone just starting. Once you've been riding for a while you get all the gains you are going to get from just riding around... that means your base is established and you can start doing more structured stuff...
Old 04-17-09, 02:29 PM
MONGO!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Intervals are great and all but I got my biggest gains from long, fast group rides and racing.

You may have got dropped after 26 mins but I'll bet that was the toughest 26 mins on a bike for you.

Don't forget the recovery is as important as the training, post workout drinks and eating enough protein in a building stage helps, also rest days/recovery rides before a race.

Congrats on a good first effort.
Old 04-17-09, 02:51 PM
urbanknight
Over the hill

Bikes: Giant Defy, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 998 Post(s)
Liked 1,206 Times in 692 Posts
Originally Posted by umd
But it's a good place to start for someone just starting. Once you've been riding for a while you get all the gains you are going to get from just riding around... that means your base is established and you can start doing more structured stuff...
So all the gains I'm going to gain from just riding around are Cat 4 pack fodder on a good day?
Old 04-17-09, 03:02 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
keep in mind, as a newer racer, you're probably not terribly efficient either. little things like anticipating pace changes, keeping (and defending) a good position, not dragging people around, etc. you might not even need a huge amount of training, just more experience racing.
Old 04-17-09, 03:30 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by MONGO!
Intervals are great and all but I got my biggest gains from long, fast group rides and racing.
I think that this is probably true for most folks, but I might be the exception that breaks the rule. I don't ever push myself so hard on a group ride that I am not in total control of my bike. When riding by myself I will go way beyond that. I am a believer in the "Cry in the dojo, laugh on the battlefield" way of training.
Old 04-18-09, 02:26 AM
audioslavery

Bikes: CAAD9, Fulcrum Racing Zero Wheelset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow I wish I could quote everyone in this thread, some really really great responses thank you ALL.

I'm definitely going to do that fast Rose Bowl group ride every day possible to get myself up to snuff. I did it once and could barely hang on for a lap (Pack dynamics are intimidating! I think I was more worried about holding my line than keeping up!)

I'm going to keep the intervals up at least twice a week and I'll give both of the plans listed in this thread a shot.

I'll report back after my race on 5/17, I have a race on 5/25 after that and then mid june i have 2 more planned! I can't wait to get out there when I'm more prepped.
Old 04-18-09, 05:49 AM
ljrichar
bf is my facebook.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by audioslavery
I think I was more worried about holding my line than keeping up!)
Also a very important skill to learn.
Old 04-18-09, 05:56 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
rollers help a lot with the lineholding thing.
Old 04-18-09, 07:31 AM
SushiJoe
Knowing's half the battle

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAAD9 BB30, SRAM Red, Fulcrum Racing 3s

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Grumpy McTrumpy
rollers help a lot with the lineholding thing.
Agreed.
Old 04-18-09, 12:14 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You need some group riding just to learn basic group bike riding skills. The idea of someone entering a crit who has very little group riding experience is a bit terrifying for those around them.
Old 04-18-09, 02:15 PM
efficiency
Does Not Exist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Since you lasted with the pack for 26 minutes, you probably have the fitness to finish the race. You just need to develop better skills.

Originally Posted by audioslavery
An example of my intervals:
1:22 (minutes:seconds here) .64 miles Avg HR 174 BPM Max HR 187 BPM Avg Speed 27.2 MPH Max Speed 31.3 MPH
I think your intervals are too short if you're just starting out racing. If you have the Friel book, look in the appendix with all the workouts and do the "Cruise Intervals," but not more than twice a week. You could also do the 2x20 minutes as suggested earlier.