Search
Notices
Northeast Connecticut | Maine | Massachusetts | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York |Rhode Island | Vermont |

Seagull Century

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-09, 01:21 PM
veloellen

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to go Don. We know each other from back CAM days. I did the metric - my century days are behind me. I'm probably in better shape than I was 10 years ago but just find 100 miles drurgery....wind was a drag literally for the last 24 miles. Everyone around me was going either at 12 mph or 18 mph. So I'd catch some wheels, sit for a mile or 2 and chase down the next group ahead of me. We left the school at around 8:15 and I was back by 1PM - my kind of day! My husband, who did the century - was not too far behind me.
Old 10-12-09, 03:49 PM
donhaller 

Bikes: GIANT TCR C1, Gary Fisher Aquila MTB, Custom Nishiki, TREK Antelope

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by veloellen
wind was a drag literally for the last 24 miles. Everyone around me was going either at 12 mph or 18 mph. So I'd catch some wheels, sit for a mile or 2 and chase down the next group ahead of me. We left the school at around 8:15 and I was back by 1PM - my kind of day! My husband, who did the century - was not too far behind me.
I got a late start and didn't get out of the gate until a smidge past 9:00 I finished around 4:15 or so. My Garmin says I did it in 6hrs25min not counting in the rest stops, but I tried to not dilly-dally around the rest stops too much, maybe ten minutes at most, just enough to get a water refill and quick bite of the offerings.

Yah - the wind was kicking some butt, however I expected that. When it would blast hard on those open fields, I would just get down on the drops and tuck as much as I could to try to help lessen the drag. I also think that a lot of wind noise is more of a psychological "drag" than we realize. An experienced rider friend told me once that if you tried riding in the wind with earplugs it would seem easier and I tried it and he was correct. I know that wind drag is drag, but for some reason with the earplugs the wind didn't seem half as bad. I didn't use any plugs this weekend but several times I wish I had them.
Old 10-13-09, 05:32 AM
barndoor
5' 19"

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yahhh.....the wind just about did me in too....until I tried the drops on one of those endlessly long straight stretches after lunch.....not only did it pick me up 1-2 mph, it felt pretty good! ... it's been years since I've used the drops...mostly because of back issues.....but for now, I'm going to use them more often. I'm 6'7" 255 and certainly wasn't the most aerodynamic thing on the road Saturday...so getting down in the drops made a HUGE difference!

...and also a 2006 R-14 66cm Waterford road bike, my former dream bike :)

Old 10-13-09, 12:57 PM
zoste
VoodooChile

Bikes: Salsa Casseroll

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beachcruiser
#'s 1555 and 1556 for my son and I. He'll be on his Quickbeam and I'll be on my Long Haul Trucker. We're locals so we'll be sleeping in our own beds and driving in early. Keep and eye out for the pacelines as they can really get moving on this flat course. Salisbury University does a great job hosting!
Hey! I saw you guys on the ride! You even commented about my Acorn Bag - your son had a slightly larger Acorn on the Quickbeam. I never did catch up to chat with you guys - you were much stronger riders.

Originally Posted by rjdennis
and note zoste's very earle mack school of law at drexel shirt
Thanks Roger! That has quickly become my favorite jersey
Old 10-13-09, 06:53 PM
beachcruiser
beachcruiser

Bikes: Trek 2300, Quickbeam, Otso Warakin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Zoste, I do remember seeing you and the Acorn bag. Another coincidence, the Quickbeam kid next to me on the Seagull is applying to Drexel next fall.
Old 10-14-09, 06:30 AM
zoste
VoodooChile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good luck to him! Drexel is an excellent school!

Oh...and thanks for the info on the soybeans.
Old 10-16-09, 11:50 AM
torotech

Bikes: Specialized Stump Jumper (Stumpy), Scott Solace (Scotty), and 10 more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What an awesome ride!!!!

This was my first full century. I did 1 hilly metric century and 1 half-century this season to prep for the seagull and I think the training paid off. I was able to keep a 16mph pace most of the time and rode for a while in some 20+mph pacelines. My final rolling time was 6hrs and 18 mins although I'm pretty sure I was right at 6 hours (I kept resetting my clock accidentally at the rest stops and I didn't notice what time I really crossed the finish line).

I was expecting the wind and rain, so it didnt really bother me. Next time, I plan to anticipate those areas better and will make sure I have someone to ride with on the long windy straightaways. I was caught out on my own at each of the major "windyfarms".

Great job to SU for putting together a great ride. Can't wait till next year.
Old 10-17-09, 04:13 PM
FLN333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just heard about this - when should I look for information to be posted for next year - I heard it gets filled quick.

Tx
Old 10-17-09, 05:02 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Originally Posted by FLN333
I just heard about this - when should I look for information to be posted for next year - I heard it gets filled quick.

Tx
To be honest, they don't have an upper limit like some of the other events, so they had a computer/ cc payment station 10 yards from the start registering people when we started last saturday, so I don't think you're in danger of being left out. The only advantage of early registry is that you save $20 on the registry fee. We have seen rider numbers all the way up to 8113 during the ride and that rider said he registered the night before the event.

And in all honesty, the only other events I can compare this to are the Cumberland Valley event and Reston Century, I'm sure both had nowhere near one thousand riders and both had better facilitated rest stops IMHO. However, all day police/ranger presence at major intersections and keeping the rest stops well stocked for 8000+ is no easy job. The only reason I may not ride the Seagull Century next year would be the number of riders attending I guess, I didn't like bumping-into-someone-every-minute type of riding. Felt a little claustrophobic a bit.

I'm thinking of riding the Cumberland Valley, Reston, Potomac Pedalers and Civil War centuries next year.
Old 10-19-09, 07:45 AM
barndoor
5' 19"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do the Cumberland Valley and Civil War every year.....love 'em both....but I'll do the Seagull again for sure......it's definitely a challenge with the wind and "fatigue" factor.....you really don't have any "rest" time like on a hilly century on the downhills.....

Old 10-19-09, 07:46 AM
barndoor
5' 19"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by torotech
What an awesome ride!!!!

This was my first full century. I did 1 hilly metric century and 1 half-century this season to prep for the seagull and I think the training paid off. I was able to keep a 16mph pace most of the time and rode for a while in some 20+mph pacelines. My final rolling time was 6hrs and 18 mins although I'm pretty sure I was right at 6 hours (I kept resetting my clock accidentally at the rest stops and I didn't notice what time I really crossed the finish line).

I was expecting the wind and rain, so it didnt really bother me. Next time, I plan to anticipate those areas better and will make sure I have someone to ride with on the long windy straightaways. I was caught out on my own at each of the major "windyfarms".

Great job to SU for putting together a great ride. Can't wait till next year.
Look me up next year....I live in Williamsport Md and we ride about the same pace.....and you'll LOVE to draft me lol.....

Old 10-19-09, 05:51 PM
FLN333

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love love to do this in 2010 - does anyone know the dates yet or when they will post the dates? Also when will registration open - I dont want to miss it. Tx Any tips appreciated!!
Old 10-19-09, 05:53 PM
pmt
Experienced

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love love to do this in 2010 - does anyone know the dates yet or when they will post the dates? Also when will registration open - I dont want to miss it. Tx Any tips appreciated!!
https://lmgtfy.com/?q=seagull+century
Old 10-20-09, 04:09 AM
Roland Owens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The website doesn't have the 2010 dates posted yet but I'm pretty sure it's October 9, 2010.

Roland
Old 10-20-09, 11:20 AM
amybatt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This was my first century also and I loved it. I clocked in at 6:06:56 and was thrilled. I'm already planning on it for next year!
Old 10-21-09, 06:48 AM
zoste
VoodooChile

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Roland Owens
The website doesn't have the 2010 dates posted yet but I'm pretty sure it's October 9, 2010.

Roland
I got an email from the Seagull...next year is the weekend of October 9.