Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Master Worlds 2021 LA

Old 05-01-21, 10:03 PM
Clythio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Master Worlds 2021 LA

Confirmed.
https://mastersworldsla.com/

My point is with "The Championship will consist of three sprint events (match sprints, 500-750-1000m time trial, team sprint) and four endurance events (pursuit, scratch race, points race, and team pursuit."
1) You need to join two other guys to practice the Team Sprint - same age bracket (10 years) and same nation, of course. Less than 1/3 of sprinters can match these conditions. In my case, I'll never have another two track Brazilian masters same age bracket, Never.
2) The short TT (500m, in my age case) have repeated or very similar results for years and years. It's a kind of watts/kg competition, low emotion, etc.
3) So, I'm one of these "sprinters" that pay for an expensive trip just to race on the Sprint Race.
4) Why don't we have Keirin on masters? Using same F200 Quali times, max 12 racers forming 2 semis, 1 only final to define 1 to 6, fast to organize, and not so predictable.
Than we'd have better balance between "sprint" and "enduro" races. 4 x 4..
Old 05-02-21, 05:06 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Clythio , I think they feel Keirin is too dangerous for old people. And they may be right, given the number of people who ride like they have never been on a track before that I've seen rock up at big-level masters races in the US. That said, we have keirin for old farts here in Japan, no issues that I've seen, but in general the track manners are better across the board here.
Old 05-02-21, 08:17 PM
Clythio

I've heard that kind of justification before.
But having raced Master Worlds 2017/18/19, and having raced Sprint and Scratch in all of them, including making the semis and final on Scratch, and having watched the points racers, for example, I don't think Keirin would bring any different level of risk, considering the racers I've seen on the Sprint Match races.
I'm among those that don't like to crash, but wouldn't be afraid of racing a Keirin against the top 10 of the Sprint Match quali (even on the 60-64 age group we're more than 20 entries).
Old 05-03-21, 09:30 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I wouldn't buy any plane tickets yet. I've heard rumors that the dates may still change.
Old 05-04-21, 07:48 PM
Clythio

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I wouldn't buy any plane tickets yet. I've heard rumors that the dates may still change.
I've heard the same, about November, but now it seems to be confirmed at October 2-9.
Booked hotel - can be canceled - but not plane tickets.
And..... there will be a Keirin "Demo" race for top Quali times!! Will train harder to be on it!! ;-)
Likes For Clythio:
Old 05-05-21, 06:00 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
I don't think it's going to be much of a "worlds" this year. Still, it's a good chance to race against some higher level riders
Likes For brawlo:
Old 05-06-21, 07:40 AM
Dfarlow
Flintstone In Training

Bikes: 2021 Fuji Track Elite; 2015 Cipollini RB800; 2014 Specialized S-Works SL4 Ltd; 2013 Firefly Ti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by brawlo
I don't think it's going to be much of a "worlds" this year. Still, it's a good chance to race against some higher level riders
You think? Given the end of year date, and Covid more under control (well, most places), coupled with a year+ off with no racing for many, I was thinking the opposite....that turnout might be greater. But you may be right, time will tell.
Old 05-06-21, 09:28 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
This is what I've heard in regards to rumors around the date. They may push it back to assure more people can travel to the US, but it remains unclear whether many people will be ready to travel internationally this year.
Old 05-06-21, 05:09 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
It's not so much about what the US offers, but what other countries have as restrictions. A LOT of countries, even if you can manage to fly to the US, will be putting returned travellers into quarantine which is time off work and potentially increased costs and I would bet a lot of money on that being the case right through to the end of 2021 and beyond. Here in Oz, they're still throwing around the prospect of limited travel OS at best right through 2022
Likes For brawlo:
Old 05-11-21, 02:55 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
It’s not worth it.

We are still knee-deep in a pandemic. Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel, but we aren’t through this yet.

There are too many ways for people to get infected by hosting an international event.

On a related note: The Olympics will be a sh*tshow if they proceed as planned. It should be canceled.

Acting like things are back to normal too soon is how this thing has lasted so long. It’s like a kid that rips off every scab that forms over a scrape then wonders why it’s not healing.

The fastest way out is to do as little as possible. As odd as it sounds, this shouldn’t be that hard.
Likes For carleton:
Old 05-11-21, 05:31 PM
Baby Puke

Meanwhile, the World Masters Games is supposedly happening in Japan this month? With conditions on the ground here it looks to be more like a much reduced national masters field. I don't even think riders from other Asian countries will be able to attend. At the moment I'm a lot more worried about landing that backside disaster at my local mini-ramp...
Likes For Baby Puke:
Old 05-12-21, 12:50 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Meanwhile, the World Masters Games is supposedly happening in Japan this month?
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Likes For carleton:
Old 05-12-21, 04:03 PM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by carleton
This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
Agreed. Basically meaningless to hold them now.
Likes For Baby Puke:
Old 05-17-21, 08:05 PM
Clythio

Schedule.
https://mastersworldsla.com/uploads/...m_05122021.pdf
Entries ending first week of August, in less than 3 months.. don't know if conditions will allow me - even already vaccinated - lets say, 15 extra days quarentining in another country (like Mexico) before being admitted in USA required for Brazilians..
Old 05-18-21, 10:14 AM
carleton
Elitist

(Nothing against you personally, Clythio, but you bring up the topic...)

Part of keeping the virus in check is about being vaccinated and making sure that oneself doesn’t get it to spread it. But, another part is to not promote situations where others might get it.

It’s a reasonable certainty that someone will spread the virus at this event and someone will catch it, be that person an athlete, coach, spectator, husband/wife/significant other, vendor, official, or child.

In the U.S., it’s the attitude of, “I’m healthy. If I catch it, I’ll be fine!”, attitude that have the virus raging...and killing. It’s selfish.

It’s my understanding that the virus needs a new host within approximately 2 weeks to keep living. Social events is how it spreads.
Likes For carleton:
Old 05-27-21, 02:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

Regarding the Olympics: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...okyo-olympics/

First few paragraphs:

The head of a doctors union in Japan warned Thursday that holding the Olympic Games in Tokyo this summer, with tens of thousands of people gathered from around the world, could lead to the development of a new “Olympic” strain of the coronavirus.

Although Japan has repeatedly pledged to hold a “safe and secure” 2020 Olympics in Tokyo after a yearlong postponement, it is struggling to contain a fourth wave of the pandemic and preparing to extend a COVID-19 state of emergency that covers much of the country.

Japanese officials, Olympics organizers and the International Olympic Committee (IOC) have all vowed the Games will go ahead, albeit under strict virus prevention measures. Foreign spectators have already been banned, and a decision on domestic audiences is expected next month.

But even with these steps in place, worries remain about the influx of athletes and officials into Japan — where the vaccination process remains glacially slow and just over 5% of the population have been inoculated.

With people from over 200 nations and territories set to arrive in Tokyo, it will be dangerous to host the Games in July, said Naoto Ueyama, head of the Japan Doctors Union.

“All of the different mutated strains of the virus that exist in different places will be concentrated and gathering here in Tokyo. We cannot deny the possibility of even a new strain of the virus potentially emerging after the Olympics,” he told a news conference.

“If such a situation were to arise, it could even mean a Tokyo Olympic strain of the virus being named in this way, which would be a huge tragedy and something that would be the target of criticism, even for 100 years.”
Likes For carleton:
Old 05-31-21, 05:54 AM
Minion1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
Regarding the Olympics: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...okyo-olympics/

First few paragraphs:
Interesting point that the only organisation that can cancel the Olympics is the IOC. (shakes head emoji). Very unlikely that they will call it off, regardless of the situation on the ground in Japan.
Old 06-01-21, 09:56 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
Yeah at this point the Olympics is going to happen almost no matter what.
Old 06-03-21, 11:23 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Morelock
Yeah at this point the Olympics is going to happen almost no matter what.
Yeah. At this point, the health authorities would be remiss if they didn't fulfill their duty to warn...the world.

Maybe this will at least convince some who are on the fence about attending or participating.
Likes For carleton:
Old 08-16-21, 03:43 PM
Clythio

Officially cancelled

https://www.uci.org/inside-uci/press...4T7LDUVSL3u7Ys
Likes For Clythio: