Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Yes to Froome no to Cavendish

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 06-28-22, 12:56 PM
headwind15
Bikeable

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 73 Posts

Anyone think it's weird that with basically no decent recent race results, that Israel is letting Chris Froome race the TDF and the boss at Quick step is absolutely dead set on not sending last year's four stage and green jersey winner, Cavendish back to win more? Even with Tim DeClerq ? coming down with covid, Quickstep is sending someone else as a replacement?
Likes For headwind15:
Old 06-28-22, 02:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Two different cyclists on two different teams with different agreed upon terms, different motivations for each person and the rest of the team. I think it's weird that you'd compare their suitability for being or not being in the TdF on just this years wins.
Likes For Iride01:
Old 06-28-22, 03:41 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 413 Times in 246 Posts
Originally Posted by headwind15
Anyone think it's weird that with basically no decent recent race results, that Israel is letting Chris Froome race the TDF and the boss at Quick step is absolutely dead set on not sending last year's four stage and green jersey winner, Cavendish back to win more? Even with Tim DeClerq ? coming down with covid, Quickstep is sending someone else as a replacement?
Weird. It's almost as if they are on different teams with different team goals and strategies....

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 06-28-22, 03:55 PM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 806 Post(s)
Liked 1,612 Times in 764 Posts
Maybe move to Professional Cycling for the Fans forum?
Likes For Bald Paul:
Old 06-28-22, 07:34 PM
stevel610 

Bikes: Novara Safari, CAAD9, WABI Classic, WABI Thunder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 456 Times in 239 Posts
One would think publicity surrounding the possibility of setting the all time win record would be enough to get him there. Couldn't buy that much exposure.
Old 06-28-22, 10:02 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Bikes: a bunch

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 502 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 425 Posts
Froomie is still a recovery in progress, and it's happening... albeit at a slower pace... But his 'support' in the race/stages is valuable, and most certainly his knowledge of the race is not equaled by many - so I applaud the decision to have him on the TDF squad - Woods can use his help...
Quickstep is and has been an anchor Belgian Squad in the Pro Peleton for decades, and cherishes it's Belgian heritage and support by the Belgian public... If Cav is not picked for the TDF squad, I'm not surprised... They are always a squad to be reckoned with and I'm sure that will be noted in the TDF, regardless of decisions.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-29-22, 08:22 AM
Greyhounds

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
While Fabio Jacobson is a nice guy, team player, and very talented, it is indeed odd that Patrick Lefevere won't allow Cav to go. He's riding extremely well this year and he stated he feels better this year than last. And we all know what he did last year. To deny the guy a chance to surpass Eddie's record just doesn't seem right, to me. But what do I know?
Old 06-29-22, 09:23 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,376 Times in 3,689 Posts
Don't forget that Eddy is a Belgian...

Last edited by cb400bill; 06-29-22 at 11:48 AM.
Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-29-22, 10:06 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6099 Post(s)
Liked 4,730 Times in 3,260 Posts
Has Cavendish ever expressed any desire to break his tie with Eddy? Both are so far over any other active rider for TdF stage wins that I doubt we'll ever seen any other be close soon.

Sagan is the only other active cyclist in the double digits for stage wins and he is only a paltry 12 wins compared to the 34 of Merckx and Cavendish. Just a little more than a 1/3 of the way there.

Froome is able to boast 7 stage wins which puts him 3rd place. Though he'll probably drop off of that imagined podium looking at the cyclists with 6 stage wins that are going to be at the TdF.

https://www.procyclingstats.com/race...ost-stage-wins
Old 06-29-22, 10:14 AM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Fabio looks to be faster this year despite how well Cav is going and he has earned a place in the Team. As has been said, he is a very nice guy, I met him earlier this year.

Fabio was brought into the squad specifically to be the No.1 sprinter; Cav knows this too. Cav was given a Hail Mary long shot at a last hurrah last year and even though he has surpassed all expectations and done extremely well, Fabio is still the younger rider, looking the strongest and he is the Wolf Pack's future - Lefevere had a very tough choice: support Cav and possibly get a new record with all the great stuff that brings or support the rider who he wants to retain longer-term.

I'd love to have seen Cav there but I 'get' the decision.

Froomey? Well, I think that's more to do with marketing and sponsorship exposure than a real shot at anything at all. Again, would love to see him win again, even just a stage, but it looks like a tough ask which is a real shame.

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 06-29-22, 10:16 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3190 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
One was/is a GC contender. The other is not. The other could become the all time stage winner if there and.................then drop out of the race and not even cross the finish line. You decide.
Likes For seypat:
Old 06-29-22, 01:36 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Fabio looks to be faster this year despite how well Cav is going and he has earned a place in the Team. As has been said, he is a very nice guy, I met him earlier this year.
Fabio was brought into the squad specifically to be the No.1 sprinter; Cav knows this too. Cav was given a Hail Mary long shot at a last hurrah last year and even though he has surpassed all expectations and done extremely well, Fabio is still the younger rider, looking the strongest and he is the Wolf Pack's future - Lefevere had a very tough choice: support Cav and possibly get a new record with all the great stuff that brings or support the rider who he wants to retain longer-term.
I'd love to have seen Cav there but I 'get' the decision.
Froomey? Well, I think that's more to do with marketing and sponsorship exposure than a real shot at anything at all. Again, would love to see him win again, even just a stage, but it looks like a tough ask which is a real shame.
Don;t think it's a difficult decision for Lefevere , it would be a bitter fruit for him as well as all Belgium (and many faithful), if Cav were to get a win. There really is no comparison, just in the TDF, not considering the cycling pantheon in general. When Merckx is pushed down the podium, it should be by a worthy accomplishment. Sprint wins are fine and dandy, but hardly noteworthy; compared to the range of challenges in all-round rides...
Lefevere can count on his team/train to deliver either Jacobsen or Cav ...
I am impressed by Froomie's persistance and work - I think he's worth cheering on ... and until Woodsie's GC win in Occitanie, Isreal Start-up hasn't had much fun... How ever far Froomie recovers, he's a true and worthy rider in my pantheon of greats.
In any case, The Giro was Awesome! and I'm so stoked for the coming TDF! Between all the young talent and the oldsters still kickin butt, this beats all the Lance years (just in one year) for drama (I'm not crazy about off-bike drama).
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-29-22, 02:09 PM
AlgarveCycling

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezen
Don;t think it's a difficult decision for Lefevere , it would be a bitter fruit for him as well as all Belgium (and many faithful), if Cav were to get a win. There really is no comparison, just in the TDF, not considering the cycling pantheon in general. When Merckx is pushed down the podium, it should be by a worthy accomplishment. Sprint wins are fine and dandy, but hardly noteworthy; compared to the range of challenges in all-round rides...
Lefevere can count on his team/train to deliver either Jacobsen or Cav ...
I am impressed by Froomie's persistance and work - I think he's worth cheering on ... and until Woodsie's GC win in Occitanie, Isreal Start-up hasn't had much fun... How ever far Froomie recovers, he's a true and worthy rider in my pantheon of greats.
In any case, The Giro was Awesome! and I'm so stoked for the coming TDF! Between all the young talent and the oldsters still kickin butt, this beats all the Lance years (just in one year) for drama (I'm not crazy about off-bike drama).
Ride On
Yuri
Re the part I've put in bold, my wife is Belgian so I have Belgian family and friends, some avid cyclists. We visit Belgium every year...I like to talk cycling with them.

My sense from last year was that if Cav got the stage record, it would be small potatoes compared to Merckx's palmares generally. His Tour wins far outweigh stage wins for them; there is no real problem with Cav taking that record and Lefevere, if you know him, couldn't give a proverbial for what anyone thinks - he does what he needs to do for his chances of claiming victory. He has committed to Fabio, that has been clear all year. Cav only gets a look-in because he won the British Champs but outside of that, Fabio has been more impressive and he is their future, not Cav.

I say this as a Cav fan and an Englishman.

I agree re Froomey, he is one of the all-time greats. Definitely worth cheering for and we can hope he has one last hurrah.

Likes For AlgarveCycling:
Old 06-29-22, 03:40 PM
cyclezen
OM boy

Originally Posted by AlgarveCycling
Re the part I've put in bold, my wife is Belgian so I have Belgian family and friends, some avid cyclists. We visit Belgium every year...I like to talk cycling with them.

My sense from last year was that if Cav got the stage record, it would be small potatoes compared to Merckx's palmares generally. His Tour wins far outweigh stage wins for them; there is no real problem with Cav taking that record and Lefevere, if you know him, couldn't give a proverbial for what anyone thinks - he does what he needs to do for his chances of claiming victory. He has committed to Fabio, that has been clear all year. Cav only gets a look-in because he won the British Champs but outside of that, Fabio has been more impressive and he is their future, not Cav.

I say this as a Cav fan and an Englishman.

I agree re Froomey, he is one of the all-time greats. Definitely worth cheering for and we can hope he has one last hurrah.

Truly !
Cycling, and especially bike racing is such a 'story', over a long and arduous course and day, or multiple days - with everything which lies before a rider/racer being some level of unknown.
And it's great to have BFers who appreciate, understand the history and heritage of cycling and racing. As a Euro transplant to the US, who became involved in cycling as a teenager and start racing while in Uni and for long decades after; I try to keep a strong perspective for where cycling is core, as well as where cycling is finding great and enthusiastic reception and promotion!
I'm so pleased to have so much cycling now available to me, on the Tele !!! And always interested to hear more on the general tenor of fans in Europe.
Ride On
Yuri
Old 06-30-22, 07:27 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
I would agree about the contract issue with Cav someone stated above. Additionally = Why would QS piss off a strong young sprinter for their future, when their capabilities are similar? If Patrick L thought Cav was clearly a better sprinter for more victories = Cav would be there.

A British rider wearing the British national champ jersey breaks Eddy's record. Cav would hug Patrick and then run, no enduring credits for QS. Take away a historic BE sporting achievement.

Besides, If Eddy had Cavendish's level of support with a lead-out train.... who knows how many? Also compare the margins of victory in Eddy's v Cav's wins and there is no comparison. Did Hi-Road and Renshaw make Mark Cavendish?

As to Froomie -
The Team is a disaster results-wise this season, almost last in points, so (as stated above) Chris is their publicity story
And - doesn't he own part of the Team? Or have a partnership biz with the owner? Probably in a contract, too - if he chooses to go. I wish him well, but not a stage win. And certainly no crashes of any significance, that would be terrible.

Last edited by Wildwood; 06-30-22 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-02-22, 09:38 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
TdF stage 2 = Fabio Jacobsen, Patrick L is already smiling at his choice of sprinter. And Cav is sad he wasn't there.
Old 07-02-22, 11:01 AM
BillyD
Administrator

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 325 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11889 Post(s)
Liked 6,481 Times in 3,411 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
Maybe move to Professional Cycling for the Fans forum?
No, we don't separate pro racing threads from Road forum anymore.