Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How necessary is a torque wrench?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-25-08, 12:45 PM
J B Bell

Bikes: 2007 ICE Trice T; 2008 Brompton M6L; 2009 Surly LHT; 2010 Surly Cross Check

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So, I joined the "up past midnight" bike-repair club last night, replacing the crankset on my touring bike. Gigantic pain in the ass, though rewarding. Safety tip: beware of youtube videos. They show the chain off for instructional convenience (just drop it onto the bb tube), and seem to underplay the rather massive force required to remove these things.

My question, griping aside, is how necessary is a torque wrench? The crank bolts specify about 40 Nm, and I translated this to "go ahead and give 'er, you're not big & strong enough to over-torque this." I based that on my truly remarkable experience removing the bloody things. (A 10 cm. hex wrench does not provide much leverage.)

Should I be bothering with a torque wrench, or is "really damn tight" an adequate measure for a crank bolt on a square spindle?
Old 03-25-08, 12:51 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
This is the one bolt on the bike where you are probably quite safe.
Old 03-25-08, 01:24 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by maddmaxx
This is the one bolt on the bike where you are probably quite safe.
agreed.

Old 03-25-08, 04:37 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
40 Nm = 30 Lb/ft (roughly). Imagine a 30 pound weight hanging off the end of a foot long wrench. Tighten your crank bolts that much.
Old 03-25-08, 04:59 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
Oddly enough long time mechanics seldom use a torque wrench except for really serious stuff like balancing the torques on head bolts and similar jobs.

But they have learned the "feel" such as RG mentions above.
Old 03-25-08, 05:08 PM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This question rages back and forth regularly through multiple threads. Some claim they can feel the right torque range after years of practice, and then you read that someone checked out such people to discover they are often not nearly as close to the specs. as they thought they were. If you do not use a torque wrench and it works for you (no broken bolts, does not come apart on the road), well and good. What more is necessary?

I personally like to use a torque wrench. I made my own from a dial indicator fisherman's scale (about $5 at Wal-Mart) and a steel bar a bit more than 10 inches long. The scale reads up to 50 pounds, so at 10 inches between the scale attachment point and the hex key you have the possibility of 500 inch pounds. (The Park Tool web site has a conversion chart you can download for converting inch pounds to Newton meters.) Your bolt would be in the neighborhood of 350 inch pounds.

I did discover that my scale reads six percent light. That means I would over-torque. I shortened the 10 inch distance by six percent to compensate. I usually use it to tighten the collar on my carbon seat post.
Old 03-25-08, 05:15 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by BCRider
Oddly enough long time mechanics seldom use a torque wrench except for really serious stuff like balancing the torques on head bolts and similar jobs.

But they have learned the "feel" such as RG mentions above.
Most people who have driven cars for a few years think they have a pretty good "feel" for 35 MPH. So how come everybody instinctively checks their speedometer whenever they see a police car?
Old 03-25-08, 05:58 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Most people who have driven cars for a few years think they have a pretty good "feel" for 35 MPH. So how come everybody instinctively checks their speedometer whenever they see a police car?
Bravo!
Old 03-25-08, 06:18 PM
San Rensho 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 91 Posts
For cars and motos I use a torque wrench on almost everything. Perfectly clean, oiled threads and a torque wrench I can honestly say I have never stripped anything, had anything fall of or had anything leak and everything comes apart very easily.

On a bicycle, I rarely use one. Maybe occassionally on the crank bolts or the rear axle nuts on the track bike. The problem with most bike fasteners, the small ones, is the danger of overtightening. I use one of those 3 in one allen or socket tools where its pretty hard to overtorque the fastener.

I guess if I had carbon bits, I'd use one because of fear of cracking something, but I'm a good ten years away from getting some of that untested, new-fangled carbon fiber stuff, so thats not a consideration.

1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
1988 Ducati 750 F1
Old 03-25-08, 07:01 PM
fosmith
my brain hurts!

Bikes: Numerous bicycles.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
one of the tech guys at giant told one of the techs at my shop, "You're a mechanic...you know what tight is!" funny, but should be true.
Old 03-25-08, 07:11 PM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
The only real places you need a torque wrench is for carbon parts. The rest an exprienced mechanic can do by well, experience.
Old 03-25-08, 07:45 PM
Bottomfeeder
Mr. cost-benefit analysis

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck Single Speed, Novara 9 speed commuter/runabout

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I depend on a torque wrench for certain things. Take modern sealed bottom brackets, for example. The non drive side cup needs to hold the bottom bracket in the shell with just enough force. Too loose and the BB will loosen and begin to work out of the frame. Too tight, and it will bind the bearings, making it harder to pedal and causing premature wear. I make sure to torque the cups to the manufacturer's spec's, at least initially. Then if you want to go a little tighter, or a little looser, depending on how things feel fine.

DanO
Old 03-25-08, 10:36 PM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
40 nm, or 30 foot lbs. isn't really all that tight. Yeah, overdoing it on crank bolts won't toast anything. But, for some of us, the main utility of a torque wrench is to prevent overtightening things. On CF bikes, this is critical. bk
Old 03-25-08, 10:38 PM
operator
cab horn

Overdoing crank bolts can result in snapped and stuck bolts -
Old 03-25-08, 10:48 PM
kpfeif

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the crank bolts maybe not, but you should probably have one around...

https://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fu...72&status=True
Old 03-25-08, 10:59 PM
neilG

Bikes: Madone, De Rosa, Langster, old Brit track iron

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by operator
The only real places you need a torque wrench is for carbon parts. The rest an exprienced mechanic can do by well, experience.

You'd think. I was a professional bike mechanic for a lot of years and rarely used a torque wrench (ALWAYS on crank bolts, BTW) even after I had starting using some carbon parts, namely a CF faceplate on a stem. Thought it was about time to do it "correctly", used the torque wrench on the faceplate bolts and promptly cracked it. Shoulda left it alone.
Old 03-26-08, 06:56 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

The rest an exprienced mechanic can do by well, experience.
Experience is a wonderful thing. It lets you recognize a mistake when you make it again.

The torque wrench debate is one of the few things I used to disagree with Sheldon Brown about. He said a torque wrench wasn't needed by an experienced mechanic, and in his case, he may have been right. However most of us have less experience and, in many cases MUCH less experience, than he did. Using a torque wrench is never a mistake and can avoid some serious problems during the learning process.

neilG's experience with the carbon face plate just shows manufacturer's specs aren't always right either.
Old 03-26-08, 05:06 PM
Retro Grouch 

Overdoing crank bolts can result in snapped and stuck bolts -
By far the greater problem with crank bolts is under torqueing and the resulting hosed crank arms. I'd be willing to check 100 bikes at random and give you $1.00 for each crank bolt that's over torqued if you'll give me $1.00 for every one we find that's under torqued. I'm so confident, to make it sporting I'll pay you in Canadian dollars and let you pay me in USD.
Old 03-26-08, 06:55 PM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
By far the greater problem with crank bolts is under torqueing and the resulting hosed crank arms. I'd be willing to check 100 bikes at random and give you $1.00 for each crank bolt that's over torqued if you'll give me $1.00 for every one we find that's under torqued. I'm so confident, to make it sporting I'll pay you in Canadian dollars and let you pay me in USD.
ROFL.

Yes the only reason I brought that up was because a customer came in the other day. He said that his crank bolt snapped.

My first thought: WTF
Next thought - he overightened it by himself. I know because I did the work on his bike, and I used a torque wrench on crank bolts, like I do on every build/repair. That's the one place I regularly use a torque wrench. The 8mm/14mm socket is nearly permanently attached to it.

It ended up cheaper to replace the bb with the bolt still stuck in it than to charge $50/hour to try and get the bolt out. Although it might've been much less expensive than replacing a right crankarm or the whole crankset.
Old 03-26-08, 07:50 PM
Al1943

Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I cracked an $850 CF fork steer tube because I used a torque wrench and the torque specs shown on the stem- would not have happened it I'd just used a 1/4" drive ratchet and my intuition.

On the other hand I didn't use a torque wrench on the Italian bottom bracket which subsequently unthreaded itself. Re-set it with a torque wrench and no more problems.

And no, I don't get paid to wrench.

Al
Old 03-26-08, 07:58 PM
operator
cab horn

Originally Posted by Al1943
I cracked an $850 CF fork steer tube because I used a torque wrench and the torque specs shown on the stem- would not have happened it I'd just used a 1/4" drive ratchet and my intuition.

On the other hand I didn't use a torque wrench on the Italian bottom bracket which subsequently unthreaded itself. Re-set it with a torque wrench and no more problems.

And no, I don't get paid to wrench.

Al
What CF fork costs $850. Seriously.
Old 03-26-08, 08:37 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Al1943
I cracked an $850 CF fork steer tube because I used a torque wrench and the torque specs shown on the stem-l
I believe the toque specs engraved on stem steerer clamps and handlebar clamps are intended for steel or Al steerers and handlebars. They certainly were in the past and may have been modified now that carbon is so common.

I also wondered, what fork costs $850?
Old 03-26-08, 08:42 PM
BCRider

Bikes: Norco (2), Miyata, Canondale, Soma, Redline

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
The special one with the crack in the carbon matrix obviously.... SHEESH!

Old 03-26-08, 08:47 PM
Trekbikedude
Bicycle Rider & Mechanic

Bikes: Superlight, Dragon Team, Eclipse, Om Flyer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Blackbox sid?
Old 03-26-08, 08:47 PM
jstraw97

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just put a new wheelset on my bike not 30 minutes ago, so I have to ask, is it possible to over torque a cassette lockring?

An $850 dollar fork?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.