Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shogun question for T-Mar

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 06:52 PM
Coaster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, after searching the forums for info on Shoguns, I came to realize that you are the Shogun guru, so I'd like to ask a few questions about my 86 800. I bought it new and it came with 600 derailleurs, Dia-Compe side pulls, Araya 700c wheels. The frame is Tange 2 double butted chromoly. I've ridden this bike all these years and have enjoyed it enough to upgrade the shifters from the original downtube style to 105 indexed style, Ultegra rear derailleur and hub as well as a mavic Open Pro rear wheel (front is still original). At this point, I'd like to change the 52/42 175mm crankset to a 105 52/39 crankset b/c the cranks are still a little loose after tightening and I'd like to get a little lower gearing for hill climbing. My question is, having never ridden anything newer than this bike, is it worthwhile putting more money into it or would the modern technogy frame, components etc. I'd have if I got a new bike provide a more enjoyable cycling experience?
Thanks,
Rich
Old 10-09-09, 06:57 PM
Jaeger

Bikes: Rocky Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
T-Mar hangs out more in the Classic and Vintage forum but he might chime in here.

I'm not sure what you mean by loose cranks, though. Perhaps the bearings in the bottom bracket are worn and that's what's making things feel loose?

And switching from a 42 to 39 tooth chainring won't have much of an impact on climbing. You could get a much bigger change by swapping out the cassette or freewheel on the back for one with a larger sprocket.
Old 10-09-09, 07:19 PM
Walter
SLJ 6/8/65-5/2/07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 7 Posts
I'm moving this over to C&V. Doubt T-Mar will see it here in Road.
Old 10-09-09, 07:50 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Easiest way is to get some "self-extracting" crank arm bolts and see if they tighten up the cranks. I've used them before to good results. Next is to trade your 42 for a 39 chain ring, or buy one. That's not a lot of money, and if you still need help on hills, look to your rear gearing a bit....
Old 10-09-09, 08:19 PM
Coaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the move, Walter.
I already have a larger (I forget what tooth count) rear cog, I probably need more muscle power more than anything else.
When pushing down on both cranks, then turning 180 deg. and doing it again, you can feel the slippage.
I'm not familiar with the self extracting bolts Robbie, how do they work and where would I get them?
I don't think I can get a smaller chainring on my crankset.
Thanks,
Rich
Old 10-09-09, 09:34 PM
Jaeger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You may also want to consider a compact crank. Dropping to 39 teeth won't make much of a difference but dropping down to 34 would.
Old 10-10-09, 08:30 AM
Coaster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree Jaeger, but I've been searching ebay and haven't seen a 34 tooth chainring yet.
BTW, I checked the rear cog-28T.
Rich
Old 10-10-09, 09:34 AM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by Coaster
I agree Jaeger, but I've been searching ebay and haven't seen a 34 tooth chainring yet.
BTW, I checked the rear cog-28T.
Rich
Just go to loosescrews.com and buy a new chainring. They sell them in that size.
Old 10-10-09, 11:31 AM
Jaeger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
Just go to loosescrews.com and buy a new chainring. They sell them in that size.
True, but he'll also need cranks that the chainring will fit on.
Old 10-10-09, 11:57 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
I agree with Jaeger it is more likely you BB is loos not the cranks. if you tried to tighten the cranks and BOTH are still loose it is the BB (the axle assembly that the cranks attatch to) a self extractor will not solve this issue.

as for everything else. go bike shopping and look at different bikes. see and ask wht your cycling friends are riding. while you Tange 2 frame is a great riding bike it might be more cost effective to buy something new and leave your Shogun "stock" for pleasure riding.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk