Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Arrogant Dr.'s Trial Finally Begins

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 10:29 PM
surfjimc
Used to be fast

Bikes: 85 Specialized Expedition, 07 Motobecane Immortal Spirit built up with Dura ace and Mavic Ksyriums, '85 Bianchi Track Bike, '90 Fisher Procaliber, '96 Landshark TwinDirt Shark Tandem, '88 Curtlo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

https://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2872136.story

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I've put in a lot of miles in that canyon, and never had an issue, but many others have. This has been by far the worst incident, and the driver has had run-ins with cyclists before. I thought they should have charged him with attempted murder.
Old 10-16-09, 10:42 PM
HigherGround
Descends Like Avalanche

Bikes: Lynskey R240, Sportive, and a Helix Sport disc model in the works; Eddy Merckx MX Leader; Specialized Rock Hopper Comp (1988!)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This line pretty much sums it up in my opinion: "In last year's preliminary hearing, a police officer testified that Thompson, who complained that cyclists frequently travel down the residential Brentwood street, said he had stopped his car in front of the cyclists to 'teach them a lesson'."

I hope they find the doctor guilty on all charges, and give him the maximum penalties plus a very large and amorous cell mate.

Last edited by HigherGround; 10-16-09 at 11:12 PM. Reason: minor typos
Old 10-16-09, 11:05 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An ER doc who's an arrogant pr!ck? Man, who could have predicted THAT?
Old 10-17-09, 03:09 AM
patentcad
Peloton Shelter Dog

Bikes: 2017 Scott Foil, 2016 Scott Addict SL, 2018 Santa Cruz Blur CC MTB

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1142 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 22 Posts
If they don't convict this idiot, abandon all hope of recourse for road cyclists from our 'justice system'.

Stay tuned.
Old 10-17-09, 04:16 AM
Spinz
TCR Advanced SL

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Guilty. Lp
Old 10-17-09, 06:07 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
How does being a doctor have any bearing on being a bad driver with animosity towards cyclists?

Old 10-17-09, 06:56 AM
hemprider
811ORV

Bikes: felt f25r

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
People in california are (mod edit) insane. I was riding up towards Palos Verdes yesterday and some ****** bag did the same exact move to me (he sped up to 40 and then hit his brakes right in front of me) luckily i was able to avoid danger but i was very close to being crushed by this dudes suv. Thats the last time i flick some body off, rather ignore them then end up dead...

Last edited by DrPete; 10-17-09 at 07:14 AM.
Old 10-17-09, 07:13 AM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Dog
A doc who's an arrogant pr!ck? Man, who could have predicted THAT?
fixed.
Old 10-17-09, 07:18 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by scotch
fixed.
Yeah, it sure is a relief to know that there are no arrogant pricks in the general population... You know, people who would generalize about the personality of an entire group based on one person's actions and stuff like that.
Old 10-17-09, 07:23 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
How does being a doctor have any bearing on being a bad driver with animosity towards cyclists?
It doesn't, but it's much more entertaining to heap righteous indignation on people in otherwise respected/noble professions. Same reason if a military service member beats his wife it makes national headlines but it's all in a day's work for joe six pack.

Yay, double standards.

I hope he gets convicted, though, not because he's a doctor but because he's guilty as hell, and I want him to have to relive the day every time he lists his felony conviction on every application for credentialing or recertification he ever fills out.

Last edited by DrPete; 10-17-09 at 07:28 AM.
Old 10-17-09, 07:27 AM
SteelCan

Bikes: LeMond Reno

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Pointing out the fact that he is a Dr has merit or "bearing". The irony of a man whose work is to save lives that intentionally and maliciously causes injury - So much for his following the Hippocratic oath.

I cannot imagine how his demeanor doesn't transfer over to how he approaches the rest of his work.
Old 10-17-09, 07:29 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by HigherGround
This line pretty much sums it up in my opinion: "In last year's preliminary hearing, a police officer testified that Thompson, who complained that cyclists frequently travel down the residential Brentwood street, said he had stopped his car in front of the cyclists to 'teach them a lesson'."

I hope they find the doctor guilty on all charges, and give him the maximum penalties plus a very large and amorous cell mate.
+1, especially because he's apparently into the theory of being taught a lesson.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-17-09, 07:30 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SteelCan
Pointing out the fact that he is a Dr has merit or "bearing". The irony of a man whose work is to save lives that intentionally and maliciously causes injury - So much for his following the Hippocratic oath.

I cannot imagine how his demeanor doesn't transfer over to how he approaches the rest of his work.
So it's entertaining and ironic, but would it be any more acceptable from a pro boxer, whose work is to hurt people intentionally?
Old 10-17-09, 07:35 AM
rollin
Sua Ku

Bikes: Trek 5200, BMC SLC01, BMC SSX, Specialized FSR, Holdsworth Criterium

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by patentcad
If they don't convict this idiot, abandon all hope of recourse for road cyclists from our 'justice system'.

Stay tuned.
I guess they'll convict and lay down a 3 month driving ban or such like as a punishment.
Old 10-17-09, 07:36 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by rollin
I guess they'll convict and lay down a 3 month driving ban or such like as a punishment.
I hope not, but I'm afraid you're probably right. And so the treatment of cyclists as less than human continues...
Old 10-17-09, 07:36 AM
dguest

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Crosstrail Elite, 2008 Cannondale Six13 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It goes to the fact that there are a$$ holes in all lines of work. The Medical Director of the Hospital system I work at is an avid cyclist. He was struck by a hit and run driver one morning. He had extensive injuries, borken hip, collar bone and femur. It was 6 months before they finally caught the driver that hit him. They caught him because in his arrogance he was bragging to a fellow DR. at a nearby hospital how he had taken care of one of the pain in the a$$ cyclists. He had no Idea who he hit other than he was a cyclist.

The fact that the people are doctors does not make an A$$ an A$$ they would be one no matter what career they followed.

Last edited by dguest; 10-17-09 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-17-09, 07:38 AM
SteelCan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
So it's entertaining and ironic, but would it be any more acceptable from a pro boxer, whose work is to hurt people intentionally?
No not entertaining - more an indictment on him a Dr./caregiver.
Old 10-17-09, 07:40 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
No not entertaining - more an indictment on him a Dr./caregiver.
Don't get me wrong, as I mentioned I hope he's convicted and his licensing board will take care of the rest, but think about it--this case probably wouldn't even be in the headlines if he weren't a docor.
Old 10-17-09, 07:44 AM
DScott
It's ALL base...

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

One relevant issue about having an MD is that he also failed to render any aid to the cyclists, another violation of his oath.

BTW, he's not in active medical practice, he runs some kind of billing or medical records processing company.

I hope he is made to suffer for his actions. Unfortunately, there are plenty of people in that canyon who support him, or at least agree with his feelings about cyclists causing inconvenience on "their" road. Not unexpected, sadly.
Old 10-17-09, 07:49 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8273 Post(s)
Liked 9,028 Times in 4,469 Posts
Pete, I agree with your points but the people on the scene said Dr Thomson refused to even help the guys who were bleeding on the ground. To me, he should not be allowed to practice medicine again.
I hope he gets jail time but I doubt he will.
Old 10-17-09, 07:58 AM
SteelCan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by patentcad
The ONLY testimony I've read that could convict Dr Christopher Thomas Thompson is the validity of the Officer who quoted him at the scene. I think it is going to come down to the skill of the defense attorney being able to discredit the Officer.
Or if the prosecution has additional info of the Dr berating/threatening cyclists who ride on that road.
Other than that, it's more of a he said, she said as to the chain of events that caused the "accident".
In that sense, I'm glad this case received additional attention. Regardless of the decision of this criminal case against him, society will associate him with this and identify him a scum bag.
Old 10-17-09, 08:01 AM
j. hughes
formerly turdsandwich

Bikes: 1993 Specialized Allez Pro, 1984 Trek 520, 198? Ross Mt St Helens, 1980 Raleigh Super Gran Prix, 197? Raleigh Gran Prix SS City Banger, 2012 Lynskey ProCross Disc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
^^ & ^^^ You don't have to render aid, at least in my state. Don't know about Ca. I'm only a lowly second year med student but this is something I learned in an ethics class and a wilderness medicine course. Legally, of course. Ethically, this dude's an *******.
Old 10-17-09, 08:11 AM
RichinPeoria
175mm crank of love

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by surfjimc
https://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,2872136.story

It will be interesting to see how this goes. I've put in a lot of miles in that canyon, and never had an issue, but many others have. This has been by far the worst incident, and the driver has had run-ins with cyclists before. I thought they should have charged him with attempted murder.
Dr D-Bag says "You are all subhuman garbage. What are you doing on MY road and how dare you make me have to slow down or change lanes. I AM A DOCTOR and I LIVE IN CALIFORNIA. I am a god on this earth"

meh...and then some bf'ers get pissed off when I talk about carrying my gun. This was attempted murder. If that was me I would have blown a hole in this guys head as he was standing over my broken body yelling at me. Problem solved.

Last edited by RichinPeoria; 10-17-09 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-17-09, 08:32 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by big john
Pete, I agree with your points but the people on the scene said Dr Thomson refused to even help the guys who were bleeding on the ground. To me, he should not be allowed to practice medicine again.
I hope he gets jail time but I doubt he will.
I 100% agree he should lose both his licenses -- driving AND medical. That's not my point, but I'm realizing that my point is kinda off topic and I'll stop now.
Old 10-17-09, 08:32 AM
Barese Rider

Bikes: 2008 Cervelo RS, 2004Trek 2100,1985 Nishike Prestige

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me if a man likes to be addressed as Doctor hes advertising himself as especially educated and in a high profession and if he then gets himself involved in a stupid lowdown incident like this one he deserves the extra publicity hes getting. Personally Ive never understood why, outside of the classroom, campus, hospital, or office we address persons as Doctor as theres no need for it except to massage brittle egos.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.