Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Keo Max Pedals "Stiff"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Keo Max Pedals "Stiff"

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-10, 02:30 AM
BAL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Keo Max Pedals "Stiff"

I have been using a new set of Look Keo Max pedals for about 500 miles and they do not rotate freely. I had assumed the stiffness may had been related to the newness; but, after 500 miles I am surprised the pedal does not self-orient at a stop to have the heavy end handing downward.

I used the old Look Keo Carbons for 10000+ miles and they always self-rotated freely.

I assume this stiffness does not correlate into serious frictional resistance; but, it seems odd they don't freely rotate. I just saw a pair at the bike store and they freely rotated.

I am of the opinion they are not adjustable so do I have a problem?

Any comments?
Old 05-08-10, 03:20 AM
Dick Rhee
Shoebomber

Bikes: 2008 Canyon CF Pro w/ Chorus, 2005 Moots Vamoots w/ Ultegra, 1988 Cannondale commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I read that the earliest version of the Keo 2s had a rubber seal that was too tight, and that later runs had solved the issue.

Edit: Here you go, from this thread: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/fo...t=Keo&start=45

The design of the Keo2Max pedals have a new outer seal/gasket design to help keep the elements away the bearings and some early run were a tad tight...but we have an easy fix.

It needs a bit of a break-in period for sure, and we are aware of it. The first few manufacturing runs of the pedal the seal tended to be a bit tigher (sic) and took longer to wear in...that's all.

5 minute Easy Fix - Have your shop pull the axle (19mm box-wrench) and just put a bit of Slick Honey on that rubber seal/gasket and it does the job. The seal sits right under the threaded axle collar. The shop will need to Torque wrench it back together at 5.5nm of torque, and that will smooth the seal stiction and relieve the friction of that new seal. Voila... no more hanging pedal.

The seal is really helping with keeping the bearings clean and last longer, so just give a bit more mileage to wear with the Slick Honey on the seal and all should be good.

Thanks for supporting and riding LOOK...
We appreciate you!"
A couple of 1st hand reports on page 5 of the thread say that lubricating the seal didn't help, but cutting away a bit or prying it loose did the trick.

Last edited by Dick Rhee; 05-08-10 at 03:34 AM.