Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

Biggest disappointments so far

Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

Old 07-17-10, 06:48 PM
daytonian
elitist jerk

Bikes: CAAD9

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just been thinking what or who hasn't panned out.

For me

1. Wiggins - I wasn't expecting a podium, but top 5 for sure and at least a more antagonistic role. It is a climbers tour but he is 7:39 / 16th back and interviewing like it's all good. This guy is tanking like Waterworld and it's not done yet.

2. Micheal Rogers - same as Wiggins - wasn't expecting a ton but maybe 7th or 8th at this point, not 7:47 / 17th. Winning the TOC isn't a huge deal in European cycling but it's only gonna get worse from here on with the Pyrenees.
I know both will pull back some time on the ITT but it seems their slide isn't over yet.

Who are your disappointments?
Old 07-17-10, 06:56 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,087 Times in 637 Posts
I've never been a huge believer in either of those two (Wiggins and Rogers) on the Tour.

Liquigas, as a team has been disappointing to me. I know it's not over, but I don't see them making significant gains.

I'm a bit disappointed that Sagan didn't get to ride the Tour. I know he's young, but he showed what a great future he has in the ATOC. I'd also like to have seen what Tony Martin could have done if he were the protected GC rider. I know, he has plenty of time ahead of him, and he theoretically isn't the climber that Rogers is, but in a year or two, he'll be one of the GC men.

I've not heard Michael Barry's name mentioned a single time on the Vs coverage. I realize he's a "lowly domestique", but he's also Canadian, so why not mention him when they show where the American riders are in the standings?

Originally Posted by daytonian
Just been thinking what or who hasn't panned out.

For me

1. Wiggins - I wasn't expecting a podium, but top 5 for sure and at least a more antagonistic role. It is a climbers tour but he is 7:39 / 16th back and interviewing like it's all good. This guy is tanking like Waterworld and it's not done yet.

2. Micheal Rogers - same as Wiggins - wasn't expecting a ton but maybe 7th or 8th at this point, not 7:47 / 17th. Winning the TOC isn't a huge deal in European cycling but it's only gonna get worse from here on with the Pyrenees.
I know both will pull back some time on the ITT but it seems their slide isn't over yet.

Who are your disappointments?
Old 07-17-10, 06:59 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Frank crashing out.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 07-17-10, 07:05 PM
SunSwingsLow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Id like to say i was disappointed in Cadel but i would say i expected it to much to be disappointed.

Stage 2 being neutralized.

Renshaw being tossed.

LA puncturing on the Pave.
Old 07-17-10, 07:23 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by USAZorro
...I've not heard Michael Barry's name mentioned a single time on the Vs coverage. I realize he's a "lowly domestique", but he's also Canadian, so why not mention him when they show where the American riders are in the standings?
Ask, and ye shall receive. Thanks, Bobke.
Old 07-17-10, 08:05 PM
dahoss2002

Bikes: 70's Motobecane, 89 Centurion Ironman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Lance- thought he might finish 5-7
2. tie between Frank Shleck and Vandevelde- thought both of these guys might finish top 10.
All 3 had bad racing luck but thats part of the game.
Old 07-17-10, 09:02 PM
rzombie1988

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty disappointed in Lance. I wanted to see him atleast try or make an effort to finish well on one of the stages, but that seems unlikely. He seems to just want to race without taking any more risks.

I'm dissapointed Frank didn't last, not his fault though. I wanted to see him and Andy team up and battle everyone.

Even though I don't care either way for Wiggins, I like the result to be up in the air, so if he was in there, it would be more exciting. The more contenders the better I say, as now it's a 2 horse race.

Last edited by rzombie1988; 07-17-10 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-17-10, 09:09 PM
Mr_Christopher
insert witty comment here

Bikes: 2016 Specialized AWOL, 2011 Electra Bike Ticino, '09 Trek 7.2 FX, Peugeot UE 18

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
Frank crashing out.
Yeah what a damn shame, I was really looking forward to watching the brothers stir the pot. Damn.
Old 07-17-10, 09:27 PM
sakonnetclip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not heard Michael Barry's name mentioned a single time on the Vs coverage. I realize he's a "lowly domestique", but he's also Canadian, so why not mention him when they show where the American riders are in the standings?
I could have sworn they were talking about him today for a while, made it a point of discussion. When is Canada going to field a team.
Old 07-17-10, 09:40 PM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummer about Frank Shleck crashing out...it would have been so much better with both the Shleck brothers!
ivan basso hasn't done much so far but the big mountain stages are still to come and he seems to be in pretty good form.
I'm not that disappointed in Lance...he's 38 and I didn't expect he'd finish that high this year. I am SUPRISED he crashed as much as he did...
Old 07-17-10, 10:20 PM
Gonzlobo
Red light runner

Bikes: Seven Sola

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So many frenchies in contention for KOM
VDV crashing out.
Lance crashing so much.
No 3rd contender. Andy & Alberto are going to finish 10 minutes ahead of 3rd place.
Farrar just quiting.
Cav not getting demoted a step for Renshaw's stupidity.
Old 07-18-10, 12:15 AM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Fabian Cancellara not in contention for KOM
Jan Ullrich not competing
Floyd Landis not showing up in France and getting arrested
Old 07-18-10, 12:31 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Originally Posted by colombo357
Fabian Cancellara not in contention for KOM
Jan Ullrich not competing
Floyd Landis not showing up in France and getting arrested
Old 07-18-10, 12:37 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
I've never been a huge believer in either of those two (Wiggins and Rogers) on the Tour.

Liquigas, as a team has been disappointing to me. I know it's not over, but I don't see them making significant gains.

I'm a bit disappointed that Sagan didn't get to ride the Tour. I know he's young, but he showed what a great future he has in the ATOC. I'd also like to have seen what Tony Martin could have done if he were the protected GC rider. I know, he has plenty of time ahead of him, and he theoretically isn't the climber that Rogers is, but in a year or two, he'll be one of the GC men.

yeah, hoping they light it up starting on stage 14.

on the other side of things...impressed that young nicolas roche is still hanging tough in the top fifteen!

next two gc contenders out of the top ten...van den broeck and levi.

next two gc contenders in the top ten...i daresay vino and sastre!
Old 07-18-10, 12:43 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree about Wiggins. Sky were pretty confident about his form coming into the tour, and clearly thought that based on his figures he'd climb better than last year. Which makes me wonder, is it that he has underperformed or are the climbs being attacked more aggressively this year? It isn't just Wiggins - Sastre, Basso and other good climbers have struggled when the pressure has been applied. So it may be that standards, at least in the mountains, are higher this year.

Didn't like the refusal to race on stage two. Thought the Renshaw decision was dubious at best. Otherwise, it's pretty much all good. This has been one of the more interesting tours of recent years and we haven't even reached the Pyrenees. The Giro was of a similarly high standard; long may it continue.
Old 07-18-10, 12:48 AM
diphthong
velo-dilettante

Bikes: 85 pinarello treviso steel, 88 nishiki olympic steel. 95 look kg 131 carbon, 11 trek madone 5.2 carbon

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1626 Post(s)
Liked 3,112 Times in 1,682 Posts
this tdf will haveta ramp it up a little more to match this year's giro. the first week was a good start; the second
was decent. here's hoping the third week exceeds the organizers' wildest dreams...
Old 07-18-10, 04:39 AM
wabbit
Sprockette

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My disappointment is that no one covers the giro on tv around here! it's always been my favourite of the grand tours anyways...it's much more fun, and during the Lance years of the tour, it had a lot more suspense than the tour. I've always loved the giro!
Old 07-18-10, 06:13 AM
Garthr

Bikes: Franklin Frames Custom, Rivendell Bombadil

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 126 Posts
I have no disappointments with any riders. The TDF is so difficult , it's easy for us "mortals" to just look at the TV and say .... "why can't he ride faster!" One look into the mirror of my own life, and I see why.
Old 07-18-10, 07:33 AM
socalslowguy

Bikes: 2006 Trek Madone 5.2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've not heard Michael Barry's name mentioned a single time on the Vs coverage.
Wow, I didn't even know he was in the race until reading your post. Talk about being anonymous.
Old 07-18-10, 11:25 AM
Hezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lance has been the greatest disappointment. Not his less then stellar racing performance but in finding out that he tried to pay to have Lemond blackmailed. Lance is a criminal and deserves to go to jail.

https://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory?id=11192419

I want to believe that this story is not true. But it would be par for the course for Armstrong.
Old 07-18-10, 11:51 AM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
Wiggins for sure - after last year, I expected him to be in the top 5 or so, at the very least. I am also surprised by Lance and how far off the back he has fallen. And related to a post made by me earlier, in the relatively obscure department - Jesus Hernandez. He was my sleeper pick to stand out in the mountains this year.

Basso - not a surprise, not so soon after the Giro. Cuddles is Cuddles - he did better than I expected.
Old 07-18-10, 11:56 AM
embankmentlb

Bikes: 3Rensho-Aerodynamics, Bernard Hinault Look - 1986 tour winner, Guerciotti, Various Klein's & Panasonic's

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 375 Times in 162 Posts
I am disappointed in Armstrong. Ok, he has no shot at the yellow jersey, but why just lay down and give up? Sad way to leave the sport...
Old 07-18-10, 12:56 PM
cyclocommuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Armstrong is the most disappointing followed by Wiggins. Those two and their teams were probably among the most hyped up before the TdF began. Both are now way below the top 10. Other teams which are disappointing are Liquigas and BMC.
Old 07-18-10, 02:27 PM
OrionKhan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This has got my vote as well. They've been almost a non-factor. They're probably wishing they had brought Nibali.
Old 07-18-10, 04:16 PM
Lightingguy

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Basso and Liquigas.

They won the Giro and I understand that 1) It's possibly too close in time for Basso to have recovered and 2) A lot of the big guns (AC, The Schlecks, etc... weren't in Italy.

Still, Evans had a good race in Italy, Menchov did not this year, won the Girio last year and looked strong today.'

It appears that the climbing tempo has been a bit too fast for Basso and I've really only seen him in the top group on a climb, once. So I assume this years TdF is at a different level then this years Giro.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.