Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Is cycling an expensive hobby?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-20, 07:21 PM
kaiserschmarrn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don't know where that comes from. I spent 93 days on the road with 12 other people. Three of them were jerks. One of those three was the racist, alcoholic type of jerk. And I often encounter jerks during my daily commute, like the cyclists who nearly hit me because I stop for traffic lights about to turn red at busy intersections.
I am more concerned with the guy(s) screaming out of their truck "Get on the sidewalk" and other similar things, rather than fellow riders.

Danny

Last edited by kaiserschmarrn; 08-29-20 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-29-20, 09:22 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
Anything is cheap or expensive depending on how you look at it. If I buy a really nice bike it could be expensive but if I break down the cost over time, it becomes a lot cheaper. Get a really nice bike, maintain it well and ride it often and no not super expensive. But who cares if it is cheap or expensive, just focus on the enjoyment.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-30-20, 07:29 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Every hobby is expensive for me. Photography, computers, cycling. Sigh.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 09-02-20, 03:38 PM
wesleydrogo

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I dont think so. It is an expensive hobby.
Old 09-03-20, 09:47 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The simple fact is altho some bikes and trikes can be fairly expensive, they last for years, so the cost per year is quite reasonable.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 09-03-20, 11:16 AM
drewtk

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 31 Posts
Cycling is as expensive as you want it to be, but it's definitely on the lower end of the scale compared to other big dollar hobbies. Planes, boats, and cars are higher. My other hobby is racing cars, so cycling is exponentially cheaper in comparison. A set of race tires for my car is around $1K and last 2 race weekends. This of course doesn't include purchasing the race car, trailer, tow vehicle, entry fees, hotel costs, etc.

And race cars cost more to buy than bikes and are not insured. You're on your down from a financial risk standpoint, even if another racer is at fault, which I've lived first hand. I totaled a race car a few years ago. Goodbye $25K.
Old 09-03-20, 12:42 PM
Harhir

Bikes: Fahrradmanufaktur Trekking Bike, 2 x Lightning Phantom, bikeE AT, Radwagon3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 138 Times in 72 Posts
Agreed. You can make it as expensive as you want. Same with every hobby. All of my bikes are 15-25 years old. Most of them I bought cheap as second hand bikes. I am happy with them and this is what counts for me. I don't care about the latest and greatest and enjoy riding my old wheels. Occasionally I restore one and sell one and buy another one.
Old 09-08-20, 10:29 AM
NomarsGirl

Bikes: Specialized Ruby Sport

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 165 Posts
I felt bad about what I paid for my bike. Then I realized the initial outlay would have been similar for golf or skiing, but I would pay every time I went.
Likes For NomarsGirl:
Old 09-08-20, 11:55 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I bought my wife (and myself) new skis, boots, and ski-suit as an anniversary present this year. And I got new skis and boots for myself. It was similar to what I would have paid for a decent bike. Except that I can ride my bike to work and I don't need a season pass for the road.
Old 09-08-20, 11:55 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
As others have said so well it can be expensive but doesn't have to.

My opinion is that most of us here that take the time to read and post on a forum are going to in the main take the hobby more seriously than the average user. Bicycling is similar to my other big hobby which is competitive handgun shooting. In that hobby I'm fairly decent, not quite a Master but close. I shoot a course of fire called Steel Challenge. Steel Challenge is considered one of, it not the least expensive courses of fire for a beginner to start to compete in. A $400 (22 cal) rimfire pistol and a few extra magazines, eyes and ears, a range bag and some ammo and you could compete in a national championship match if you so desired. I don't know anyone that would do that though. For me I compete in open revolver class, I have three (3) competition revolvers which cost on average about $2500.00 plus a lot of stuff, competition belts/holsters, 100s of moon clips, a lot of stuff, I shoot about 14K rounds of center fire pistol ammo/year so I handload and have a reloading bench with 3 mounted presses and a ton of tools and reloading components. All this takes up a lot of time and travel expense and entry fees.

Compare that to my main road bike which I bought about a year ago on CL for $300.00 It's ok AL frame and 105 groupset. I like to have good things but presently don't quite have the urge to upgrade my bike. I don't know how long that feeling will last though.The only thing I have done literally to the bike is a new saddle and chain plus a Garmin and sensors. I have way more $$ in add-ons, spare parts and tools, clothes, trainers, Zwift, nutrition, and on.....than I have in the actual bike. So I'm spending considerably less money the more I ride bikes than just shooting handguns for sure. I do think that if we added up every cent that goes into our bikes we would be surprised to find that we spend much more than we think we do.

Last edited by Thomas15; 09-08-20 at 12:02 PM.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 09-08-20, 02:17 PM
chephy
Two H's!!! TWO!!!!!

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TheRef
I'm hijacking my reply on another thread to create a discussion about the cost of cycling compared to some other common hobbies people have. I argue that after the initial investment which can be as large or as small as you'd like cycling can be quite an affordable pleasure. Not even counting the hidden benefits of cycling, such as better fitness, less stress, not turning into a jerk etc.

So what do you say? Compare only with your other hobbies and activities how does cycling fare?
My other hobbies are scuba diving, skydiving, flying, running/fitness, reading and learning (online courses, self-education etc). Cycling is definitely on the lower end of the cost spectrum. In part that's because I feel like I've accumulated most of the gear I need, and I am not that picky about gear anyway. I want my bike to be good and ride well, but I'm not the type to go and buy a new jersey every week. Beyond the initial investment, my only cost is the occasional tune-up, so, maybe $100 a year max. Really cheap for the tremendous benefits it offers.

Of course, it CAN get crazy expensive, but it doesn't HAVE to. Contrast it with truly expensive hobbies like flying: it HAS to be crazy expensive. There is no way to do it on the cheap.
Old 09-08-20, 02:29 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,968 Times in 1,917 Posts
Originally Posted by chephy
Of course, it CAN get crazy expensive, but it doesn't HAVE to. Contrast it with truly expensive hobbies like flying: it HAS to be crazy expensive. There is no way to do it on the cheap.
well, it can be cheap.. but only done once....
Old 09-08-20, 03:04 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Old 09-08-20, 03:31 PM
Alphonsus

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it all depends on how much you cycle. This is the same with any hobby, if you buy all the equipment to start off a hobby only to not continue that hobby after a couple of months then you would've wasted a good portion of the money. Biking is the same, if you buy an expensive bike, but rarely ride it or for very short rides, then it can be expensive especially if you also bought a computer, shoes, etc. But if you ride very often, soon it won't actually be expensive. I feel the majority of bike hobbyists started off biking on something not expensive <$400. Personally I had my first bike when I was young, one of the ones with training wheels, then my parents got me one of those big box "mtb" that was like $140. When I got too big for it, when I was 17 I bought a Diamondback mtb for $500 with my own money. Was only riding less than 3 miles on it, usually for commuting, and it wasn't only until this year, that I've actually started riding 30-50 mile trips. Now I am planning on getting a $2000+ gravel bike, since I know I will be doing constantly 50-100 mile trips. I am sure within a year of owning that bike, the cost of the bike would be less than $1/mile. Given this is a hobby and not just commuting, you'd probably start off with a $500-1000 bike depending on how much funds you currently have. However if you already have a bike and you been riding it for lots of miles and just biking for fun. Then you might want to spend more on a new bike for a better/smoother experience.
Old 09-08-20, 03:35 PM
MntnMan62

Bikes: Road - Motobecane Sprintour / Mountain - Schwinn Mesa GSX

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 45 Posts
Yes. It certainly can get expensive. First, you need a bike. I have found that I've spent over $1,000 on my road bike and over $1,000 on my mountain bike. For the mountain bike I didn't spend it all at once. I bought the bike for $450 and then slowly upgraded most of the components over time. For the road bike I bought a bike that was totally outfitted the way I wanted it. It cost me $1,100, not including pedals. Then you need to make sure you have extra tubes, lube, mutli tool, regular pump, small pump to take on your rides, patch kit. Then you also need a helmet, gloves and decent riding attire that won't make you look like a roadie team geek but will serve the purpose of making you comfortable on your rides. I have a bunch of short sleeve shirts, some purposed for biking and others just for sports with a wicking fabric. I also have a bunch of long sleeve jerseys for cooler weather. A bunch of lycra padded bike shorts for summer and a bunch of lycra padded bike tights for cooler weather. I also have full finger gloves for wearing in cooler weather. If you wear glasses, you want sport glasses that won't shatter on impact if you happen to crash. Lights for the front and back. If you ride with clipless pedals, you'll need shoes. I also like wearing a headband to keep sweat out of my eyes. Water bottles. A regular supply of Gu or some other sort of sustainance while doing longer rides. I have a bike stand to help when doing repairs. And things will break or wear out such as tires, rims, brake bades, cables, bar tape, grips, chains, cogs. While riding one day a small piece of stick got stuck in my rear derailleur and caused me to snap the thing completely off. It cost me $100 for a new derailleur on eBay and then some amount to have a bike shop install it and check the rest of the bike out. And if you want to travel to where you intend to ride, such as bike parks, a bike carrier is warranted for the car. As you can see, it all adds up.

But what hobby isn't expensive? I also play the drums. A decent set of used drums only costs around $500 not including all the stands and mounts necessary. Then there are cymbals, sticks, drum heads. If it's something you enjoy, it's worth it.

Last edited by MntnMan62; 09-08-20 at 03:38 PM.
Old 09-08-20, 06:07 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3773 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 790 Posts
When you ride your bike as your primary form of transportation, it really reduces the cost of the bike. I save tons of money on gas and general maintenance of a vehicle. I'm not car free, just car light.
Old 09-08-20, 06:37 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
Yes
Old 09-09-20, 12:17 AM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Quoted: 3949 Post(s)
Liked 7,295 Times in 2,946 Posts
No
Old 09-09-20, 12:47 AM
MyRedTrek

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
Compared to collecting professional grade violins it's not expensive.

If someone hasn't already mentioned it you can cut down on the cost by getting set up with tools and learn to do your own maintenance. I've probably got more invested in tools than either of my hybrid bikes cost but I've never paid anyone to do repair or maintenance work and I get enjoyment out of doing it.
Old 09-09-20, 05:09 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
I have less money in my bike and bike junk than I do in my Jeep I will say though I keep a spread sheet for Jeep stuff but don't for bike stuff so I couldn't tell you exactly what it costs. In the end I don't get into stuff that I can't use all the time because for me it doesn't make sense whats the point of a garage queen car or a bike that you can only ride in certain conditions.
Old 09-09-20, 12:37 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
No. If you really want you can get an old, cheap, second hand bike and just go.

If you get super into it and want the latest gadgets and clothes and whatnot, then maybe.

Still not as expensive as skiing, or golfing I would say.
Old 09-09-20, 12:57 PM
IGH_Only

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
I skate and destroy.
Old 09-09-20, 02:49 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
According to my 70something y/o mom and a friend her age, my bikes are too expensive and demand too much maintenance. When they rode bikes, tires never went flat and nothing ever needed to be maintained or repaired.

Neither of them rode a bicycle after grade school. Their dads did all the maintenance.

But, yeah, the good ol' days.
Old 09-09-20, 03:54 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Thomas15
... I have way more $$ in add-ons, spare parts and tools, clothes, trainers, Zwift, nutrition, and on.....than I have in the actual bike. So I'm spending considerably less money the more I ride bikes than just shooting handguns for sure. I do think that if we added up every cent that goes into our bikes we would be surprised to find that we spend much more than we think we do.
I would have thought, those 'add-ons' are counted into the cost of the cycling hobby.

I didn't read most of the thread and probably it had all been said. I would point out that even expensive bike is a one time investment and that counts towards this hobby not being expensive. Those other hobbies where you need to buy time on ski slopes, on shooting range and such like, do add up over time. Of course unless you are buying time on a velodrome...

I'd say, we should also take into account the health benefits of bicycling as long range benefit that offset the outlay you make buying the equipment. You will have better health as you get older and you won't need to spend money to fight bad health... Some other sports don't do much in that direction, like shooting guns or even the mentioned skiing. While that also involves an exertion (probably even shooting guns or playing golf is no slouching it if you do it seriously enough), it can't compare to riding a bike when it comes to aerobic workouts, which are generally good for your well being.

Last edited by vane171; 09-09-20 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-10-20, 08:17 AM
Eliz

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, weather conditions make all the difference in terms of affordability of cycling.

During the summer, my simple 2k EUR road bike with ordinary derailleurs and chain is pretty reliable and barely requires cleaning or maintenance, so cycling during the summer is fun and affordable.

But if I were to use that bike during the rest of the year, half the parts would start breaking down in a matter of weeks, and the ensuing maintenance hell would literally remove all the fun.

To make cycling fun in winter, too, I would need something like a road bike with gear hub and belt drive. But that's ungodly expensive, so I just only cycle in summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.