Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Mirrors

Old 04-12-21, 05:40 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
Here is my setup.

CycleAware mirror on my Giro XEN helmet.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-13-21, 06:25 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
Do people actually use their mirrors? Out of the 1000 or so riders I have passed wearing, having, displaying, mirrors, only about 2 have seen me coming. Seriously.

If I ring a bell, shout onyerleft, or any kind of warning, most will look up and around like they heard a gunshot trying to figure out where it came from.

OK, maybe more than 2, maybe 4, have seen me coming as I always look into their mirrors to see if they acknowledge my presence. A very large amount of them don't even have the mirrors properly adjusted. Looking into their mirrors, I don't see their eyes. Most times I see sky or a a kneecap.
Yes I use mine all of the time. I am looking out for the behavior of passing cars mostly. I expect cyclists to exercise some courtesy and give some warning on roads or paths, even though they often do not.

I feel quite vulnerable if I forget the mirror (glasses) so I have attached it to my helmet now.
Old 04-13-21, 06:47 PM
GeneO 

Yes, I mentioned that. But still, they do not acknowledge my presence but often look around like they're lost rather then looking back as if to allow other riders to pass safely. If someone is using their mirrors properly, you can see their eyes in the mirror. Many, way too many do not have them set up correctly. I think many of them use it as a fashion thing.
I think maybe your expectations are too much. I certainly do not have my eye glued on my mirror all of the time, if that is what you mean. I doubt you could see my eye in my mirror though it is set up properly - it is only a little bigger than my eye. if I am warned a cyclist is passing, I take a quick glance in the mirror and make sure I am steady on the right. I don't look back after that momentary glance.

It is really irksome when a fellow cyclist passes closely with no warning.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 04-13-21, 09:27 PM
GeneO 

Wow. I have never in my recollection in my many years of cycling encountered anyone like that when I have passed them. Maybe I had but just shrugged it off. Must be a local thing I guess.

Last edited by GeneO; 04-13-21 at 09:35 PM.
Old 04-13-21, 09:35 PM
Kubotafan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Maybe we need a special place on the forum for a thread for proper biking etiquette. I am sure we all know (maybe don't use) proper hand signals to notify drivers behind us of our intentions, but there are likely rules to tell fellow bikers our intentions.
Likes For Kubotafan:
Old 04-14-21, 06:01 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
One thing to know about using the take-a-look mirrors is to be careful of turning into low sun angles in morning (and afternoon).
Old 04-14-21, 07:56 AM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
I’ve used mirrors for many years and generally speaking, almost never ride without one. The ones I’ve used have all been the plastic/composite type. I’ve had issues (on several) with one of the three clips that allow mounting to the temples of my eye pro frames breaking off. Rather than scrap them, I’ve punched holes into the lower edge of the helmet and glued the remaining clips into the helmet foam. Seems to work fairly well .
I’m liking the metal construction of the “Take-A-Look” mirror and may order one today.
I have used the type of mirror that mounts to the bike before but find them lacking. I do have one that mounts on the top tube up near the head tube and pretty much looks straight back at the seat post. It’s a convex mirror tho so it kinda looks “around” the the seat post. It gives a surprisingly good view to the rear! The main drawback is that the mounting system isn’t very secure and it tends to move out of adjustment easily. I suppose I could make it more stable but it’s a bit more of a novelty than a true asset. Mirrors that are positioned up nearer to my eye (either helmet or glasses mount) seem to work best for me .
Old 04-15-21, 07:12 AM
BCAC

Bikes: Argon 18 Gallium, GF 29er, old Trek Madone

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
If you aren't on a budget, you might also consider a Garmin Varia. My son has one and it alerts for overtaking cars well before they get to you. It even does a pretty good job at alerting for cyclist overtaking you too, but since the unit is doing a comparison of relative speeds, it sometimes will let a cyclist sneak up on you. It's also an excellent taillight.

I'm not recommending it instead of the mirror, but something else to use in conjunction with the mirror.
I’ve used the Garmin Varia radar/light for around the last 4,000 miles. I’ve found it to be 100% accurate identifying vehicles coming up behind me, whether at moderate or high speed and it also visually represents how far back each of the cars/trucks are.

Do I still visually check before switching lanes or turning left? Yep. But I’ve never found the Varia to be wrong. Not once.

I think this is the best safety item after a helmet.
Old 04-15-21, 08:08 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 1,031 Posts
I have been told that I am a little too nice on the bike by ride partners when it comes to encountering others so I don't worry about that.

My issue is that when I pass a fellow cyclist NICELY, they freak out and have no idea what is going on at times. Like they have never heard a bell or onyerleft before. Yes, I say, "howyoudoing?" and greet them with a smile when I pass.

Yes, I can see your eye and I'm sure others can as well. Starting with the body language. Really appreciate considerate cyclists such as yourself, sharing the road with others. You'd be surprised to learn then, that others can see your eye in the mirror. Starts with the body language. One can tell when a cyclist acknowledges the other. It starts with the head movement. I can tell he heard me, adjusted his head to get me in his mirror, then yes, I see the eyes in the small rectangle types.
Yes, I mentioned that. But still, they do not acknowledge my presence but often look around like they're lost rather then looking back as if to allow other riders to pass safely. If someone is using their mirrors properly, you can see their eyes in the mirror. Many, way too many do not have them set up correctly. I think many of them use it as a fashion thing.
Your "issue" is your expectation that every rider you intend to pass should physically and/or verbally acknowledge your presence.
Old 04-15-21, 10:58 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,293 Times in 819 Posts
I have been using a CycleAware helmet-mounted mirror since the mid-1990s, and I would now no sooner ride without a mirror than without a helmet. I use it very frequently when riding in traffic.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 04-15-21, 12:23 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

No, my issue is that people place mirrors on their bikes for a reason but don't use them.
I use my mirror for knowing where approaching vehicles are, motorized or not, far back of me long before I can see the whites of the drivers'/riders' eyes. I do not usually need to continually track them until they pass.

Sometimes I use the mirror to hang my ball cap when not in use, or in the past year, a face mask.
​​​​​​
Other riders use their mirrors for whatever reasons they have and not necessarily for the reasons deemed correct or important by other cyclists; reasons which may not include making eye contact or otherwise communicating with every bicyclist who passes by.
Old 04-15-21, 04:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

So I based my posts on cyclists that planned to use them as equipment used to track objects coming up from behind. I could care less if you use it for hanging a mask. I'm going by the OP, thanks.
It is your posts on this thread that I am referencing.
Seems to me that you are posting comments about what you think is the improper use of mirrors based on what you can or can not see reflected in the mirrors of bicycles being ridden by other people, and your apparent view that the lack of an overt physical or verbal reaction to your presence may be a result of other bicyclists' inability to use a mirror properly.
Old 04-15-21, 04:55 PM
GeneO 

So your reading comprehension is lacking. I stated that I am surprised that people use mirrors, then when I call out or ring my bell, they don't realize that there is someone approaching from behind seeing they have mirrors. Pretty simple to understand. Not sure why you think it is a me issue. It isn't. It's a why don't they use their mirror issue. Please don't get yourself banned again trying to cause friction out of something that is not there.
Gosh, chill and get over it.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 04-25-21, 11:17 AM
bmcer

Bikes: Full campy Record EPS BMC Team Machine slr01, Canyon CF SL 8.0 Endurance

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 66 Posts
Y'all been watching too much Fox news
Likes For bmcer:
Old 04-26-21, 07:54 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
+1 for Take-A-Look mirror. I wear a helmet and prescription sunglasses too and they work great. There are three things I always wear when riding, every-single-time:
1. Helmet
2. Gloves
3. Take-A-Look mirror
Likes For drlogik:
Old 04-26-21, 01:00 PM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts
I'm not on the road much, mostly paved/hardpack trails and use the Cateye BM-45:
https://www.cateye.com/intl/products/accessories/BM-45/

It's unobtrusive, doesn't block my peripheral vision and works for my purposes. I have it on the left side but may get another for the right. I think if I were road riding more I may take a look at the Take-A-Look.