Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Review the route before you ride?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.
View Poll Results: Do you like to review the route prior to your ride?
Yes, it helps me decide if it's something I'd feel comfortable riding.
78.95%
No, I just show up and hope Mt Everest isn't on the route.
21.05%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Review the route before you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-21, 02:03 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by woodcraft
Sorry the ride didn't work out, but this is surely overstated.

"20 miles, most of which included climbing sections with 18+% grades"

If you did a 20 mile ride with 10 climbs with 18+% grades, I'll eat my cycling gloves.

Although not 20 miles, the Dirty Dozen in Pittsburgh is 13 climbs over 50 miles. Each of these 13 climbs starts at minimum of 20% with Canton Avenue at 37%. Of course, this does not count all the climbing in between these 13 highlighted climbs.

I have not done the event but have followed it for years since I was born and raised in Western Pa and know the hills of Pittsburgh fairly well.

john
Old 05-11-21, 02:06 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Bald Paul
I have a neighbor who started cycling after knee surgery. He got to where he could comfortably ride around 18 miles locally, then asked me if I would join him on a charity ride sponsored by a nearby cycling club. One of the routes they offered was a short 20 miles. Of course, I agreed.
On the day of the ride we checked in at the registration table and got our route cuesheet. Roads had been pre-marked with colored arrows at the turns for the various routes.
Off we went. 20 miles, most of which included climbing sections with one section at an 18+% grade. (I'll admit, some of those were 'get off and walk the bike to the top' sections.) Needless to say, we ended up totally exhausted, and spent the next day or two resting our knees (I have had knee surgery previously.) We both swore we would never sign up for a group / charity ride again, unless the route was published on something like RidewithGPS to see what kind of terrain we would be tackling.
How do you approach group / charity rides?

NOTE: section in italics edited to clarify for those conceptually challenged
Just my 2 cents, but this is wacked.

FWIW, I always check the cue sheet and or Map My Ride or Ride with GPS for the route and profile. If it is a group ride, I still check out the details. I would surely want to know of any pitchy sections of 18%.

Personally, the organizer should have warned you of the impending dangers!

john
Likes For rutan74:
Old 05-12-21, 09:58 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
When planning a new ride I preview it on Strava maps and look at elevation gains and mileage. I know what I am comfortable with and no longer feel the need to punish myself with hyper-distances or insane climbs. To each their own, but I would rather know.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 05-12-21, 10:21 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
Although not 20 miles, the Dirty Dozen in Pittsburgh is 13 climbs over 50 miles. Each of these 13 climbs starts at minimum of 20% with Canton Avenue at 37%. Of course, this does not count all the climbing in between these 13 highlighted climbs.

I have not done the event but have followed it for years since I was born and raised in Western Pa and know the hills of Pittsburgh fairly well.

john

Classic.

In my area, I've done this one a number of times- nominally 10k climbing in fifty miles, The Nifty Ten Fifty.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/4394647

The course is pretty much a tour of my childhood and youth, passing where i lived, went to school, and cycled.