Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show Me Your Saddle

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show Me Your Saddle

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-22, 01:16 AM
Andrew_G

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 66 Posts
In 1981, when I was 24 years old, I comfortably rode three double centuries in one month on a Selle San Marco Concor 'Supercorsa' saddle. After the aluminum seat rail on the Concor broke, I then tried (with limited success) the San Marco Regal, the Selle Italia Turbo, Brooks Swift, etc.

I was still sorting thru saddles in 2007, when the Los Angeles Times newspaper published an article which tested and assessed of a group of modern saddles. The reviewer had ridden Paris-Brest-Paris, so I figured that he knew what he was talking about when he commented on the various saddles he tested.

The reviewer really liked the Selle SMP saddle. Based on the LAT review, I then started riding the Selle SMP "Glider" saddle. I chose the Glider model based on its width of 136mm, which was a good fit for me, based on the width of other saddles I previously used.

The SMP's design with the wider center channel and the lower center (in the front-to-back direction) provides extra countersinking against crotch tissue (perineum). In 2015, at age 58, I rode ten (10) centuries on the SMP Glider over the summer, without any comfort or health issues.

In 2016 (at age 59) I test rode a new production Concor (the same model as as the 1981 Supercorsa) and I found it to be an excruciating, crotch splitting torture device.

A photo of an older SMP Glider is attached; I used shoe polish to camouflage the admittedly garish lettering. My newer 70th anniversary SMPs have more restrained graphics.

Old 11-13-22, 03:24 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
I forgot. I was at EuroBike in July and this unknown to me Italian saddle company was exhibiting. I liked their stuff.

Likes For iab:
Old 11-13-22, 06:46 AM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Like many folks, I primarily ride a Brooks B17. I have several and for un-racing, I really like them.

Recently I thought I’d try the all-plastic C17. I found it at least $20 less comfortable than the Gumby by Gum C17 (the natural rubber matches my side walls….

Natural rubber & cotton top on the left. All plastic on the right.

also reformed this Idealé 90. It’s on an incomplete project bike so don’t know if we’ll get along or not.

🤔 hmmmm …maybe I’m not too good at reformation…?

ps- I already had a Cambium C17 on another bike. So I knew we’d get along on my trail bike pictured.

Last edited by mrv; 11-13-22 at 06:56 AM.
Likes For mrv:
Old 11-13-22, 10:05 AM
Drillium Dude 
Banned.

Mentioned: 255 Post(s)
Quoted: 2588 Post(s)
Liked 4,824 Times in 1,709 Posts
Originally Posted by 15fsport_350

Flite was always my saddle of choice but my father was huge into Brooks...
BITD it was a Concor for me. When I started seriously again with bikes (and specifically vintage ones) in the mid-90s I found the Flite seemed to have a good, transferable shape to older bikes, and the feel was great, so they became my go-to saddle for decades. When I finally got hold of an Evolution, I felt I'd finally found my grail

Quite the Brooks collection as well. Only one here, and it's on a small bike, too small for me to ride. As of 2022, I still haven't ridden a suspended-leather saddle for any appreciable distance. Sigh...

DD
Likes For Drillium Dude:
Old 11-13-22, 10:15 AM
Schweinhund

Bikes: a couple

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 563 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 456 Posts
I've got a couple of seat shaped pinecones, looking for a red one and a blue one to match
I need to pressure wash the grey one to get the stains out...
Likes For Schweinhund:
Old 11-13-22, 11:56 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Most appropriately named saddle ever.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 11-13-22, 05:55 PM
rhm
multimodal commuter

Bikes: 1940s Fothergill, 1959 Allegro Special, 1963? Claud Butler Olympic Sprint, Lambert 'Clubman', 1974 Fuji "the Ace", 1976 Holdsworth 650b conversion rando bike, 1983 Trek 720 tourer, 1984 Counterpoint Opus II, 1993 Basso Gap, 2010 Downtube 8h, and...

Mentioned: 584 Post(s)
Quoted: 1908 Post(s)
Liked 574 Times in 339 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
On my C&V bikes, I've got two Brooks B.17s, two Brooks Pro's (one with the older, smaller rivets, and one with the large, hammered rivets), one with a Brooks Swift with titanium rails (a really nice saddle for go-fast bikes), and one with a Lepper Voyager. This Lepper saddle is fairly novel, so let's take a look at it.

The side view shows it as a leather saddle with very short skirts, not unlike the Brooks Swift. The most unusual detail of the Voyager is that the rails and cantle piece are made of tubular steel, instead of the more common solid steel rods or plates.

This shot shows that the cantle piece has a round cross section, and has a couple of holes that show that it is a tube. I'll admit that I'm just trusting that the rails are tubes too.
The decal on one rail says "531 Reynolds", and that is what Lepper says that the rails and cantle piece are made of. Who else can say that they have 531 tubing on their saddle, much less a tubing decal on the saddle??

This is probably a good time to mention that I got this from Joe Russell's shop, from the "take-off" bin for $25.50, probably around the year 2000. These Leppers used to be standard equipment on some Cannondale touring bikes, but a lot of folks didn't get along with them, so they ended up in the take-off bin at a discount.
I should also mention that these Voyagers had a bit of reputation for breaks in the tubular rails, especially where they were welded to the cantle piece. It appears that I'm scrawny enough to not have caused this sort of failure... yet?

The last novel detail about the Voyager is that is uses a strap of woven nylon (I've read) running from front to rear. This is reputed to handle some of the tension inherent to this sort of saddle design, reducing the amount of stretch commonly seen in leather saddles. There is a lighter color piece of material glued over the strap.. not sure why. It is visible at the very rear of the saddle when closely inspected. This photo provides a better view of the additional thickness of this strap...

Other than the distinct tendency for the welds to fail, this is a very nice saddle! I'd rate it up there with the Brooks Swift, honestly. .. especially if you can pick it up for just $25.50!

Steve in Peoria
Thanks for this tour! I've been curious about these, have never seen one. Have you ever weighed it?
Old 11-13-22, 08:21 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,375 Times in 1,580 Posts
Originally Posted by rhm
Thanks for this tour! I've been curious about these, have never seen one. Have you ever weighed it?
hey Rudy! Maybe it's weird, but I don't think the saddle has been off the bike in 20 years.
Never put it on a scale, but it is light. Probably in the ballpark of a titanium Brooks Swift?? I have weighed that...

Steve in Peoria
Old 11-13-22, 08:40 PM
1simplexnut

Bikes: 1963? Anquetil , 1973 PX10,1979 PX10,1984 PX10, VITUS 979 PX10DU,1970S ALAN,1985 PSV10,1980s PY10FC,1978 bERTIN,ALAN carbon

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 636 Times in 283 Posts
Air cooled ********************?

Likes For 1simplexnut:
Old 11-13-22, 09:57 PM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Likes For Fahrenheit531: