Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Endurance Road Bike for RAGBRAI

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Endurance Road Bike for RAGBRAI

Old 03-03-23, 12:03 AM
TRY-ATHLETE

Bikes: Giant OCR 1; Specialized Crossroads; Cannondale Quick 1; Vintage Schwinn Breeze 2 Speed Kickback

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks I'll check out both models. Models, I mean.

Originally Posted by Polaris OBark
I think the Al one has a smallest size of 49 and the carbon one has a 47. My daughter is 5'6" and her 52 is a little bit too large for her.
Thanks, I'll Check out both mobots.
Old 03-03-23, 08:03 AM
Hawkeye83

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
FWIW I'm basically a brand new rider, also doing RAGBRAI for the first time this year.
Got a good deal on a titanium frame Motobecane with top of the line SRAM Red components (or so I'm told) so I got that to try out. It's very light!
Also got a TREK Domane AL2 Disc which I haven't picked up from the store yet. I think the Domane might allow you to ride in two different hand positions but I'll have to verify that. Seems like that would be nice, to switch up riding positions if/when you want to? Good luck and have fun!
Old 03-03-23, 10:02 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact

Beware of many newer bikes with "small" frames that have really steep seat tube angles in an attempt to fool you with their apparent short top tubes.
agree - this can be the case - but sometimes the geometry of the smaller frames is a plus

many times the increased seat tube angle is not an issue - or the angle is the same as the larger frames - and many times the amount of trail is increased (compared to larger frames) which can be a big plus

( and even more so when actual trail of the larger frames is often lower than listed )

sometimes if not often must deal with ‘toe overlap’ - but has not been an issue for me
Old 03-23-23, 03:30 PM
TRY-ATHLETE

Bikes: Giant OCR 1; Specialized Crossroads; Cannondale Quick 1; Vintage Schwinn Breeze 2 Speed Kickback

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Endurance Road Bike For RAGBRAI - Thanks for advice!

This is for all who advised TRY-ATHLETE on Endurance Bike For RAGBRAI. Apologies if not going to all; I can't figure out how to reply to all that replied to me. I’d like to say thank you to all that posted advice for me regarding finding a more relaxed ride for RAGBRAI 2023. It really helped. Yesterday I bought a Cannondale hybrid Quick 1. The helpful, no pressure sales guy, artfully called it a “flat bar road bike”. For what it’s worth, here’s what I tested and why I chose the Quick 1:

Trek Domane AL Disc – rode only on trainer; didn’t love my position w/ drop bar; one Trek dealership told me bike could not accommodate rear rack with trunk bag (need for RAGBRAI) and another Trek dealership said this problem could be overcome. I was very surprised that a “endurance” road bike wouldn’t have mount nubs.

Trek Checkpoint SL 7 AX 5 w electronic shifters – rode only on trainer; didn’t love my position w/ drop bar.

LIV Avail AR 4 – rode outside; shifted poorly; didn’t love my position w/ drop bar.

Felt Verza 20 – rode outside; I didn’t love it.

Felt Versa 40 Midstep – rode outside; heavier and I didn’t love it.

Cannondale Topstone 2 – rode outside; didn’t love my position w/ drop bar; felt too stretched out.

Cannondale Synapse Women’s Tiagra – rode outside; ride felt stiff; didn’t love my position w/ drop bar.

Specialized Sirrus 3.0 Step Through – rode outside; didn’t shift so easily; didn’t love this bike.

Specialized Roubaix – entry level Roubaix - rode outside; I loved this bike! So cushy and soft a ride with really ergonomic shifters. Only available was an XS 44 cm but it felt fine when I rode it. Still, didn’t love my position w/ drop bar. Not able to add a riser b/c of carbon. Didn’t observe if I could mount a rear rack. I wanted this bike so much but felt it wise to avoid the drop bar and it possibly being too small for me. Sigh!

So, I chose the Cannondale Quick 1 - size small – not a step through - it was pretty easy to mount and dismount; flat bar is just more comfortable for me; lots of gears for RAGBRAI - 2x11 Shimano 105 – crank 50/34; cassette 11-32; disc brakes; relatively light for a hybrid @ 23.4 lbs. I rode this bike several times and it always felt good and shifted nicely.

Thank you all again for the advice!
Likes For TRY-ATHLETE:
Old 03-24-23, 12:35 AM
retswerb
Along for the ride

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 106 Posts
Looks like you did your research well! Glad you were able to find something comfortable. Good luck with RAGBRAI!
Old 03-24-23, 05:11 PM
TRY-ATHLETE

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thank you retswerb! I am looking forward to getting some miles in.
Likes For TRY-ATHLETE:
Old 03-24-23, 08:37 PM
thin_concrete
Achtung!

Bikes: 60.1, Marvel

Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 268 Times in 161 Posts
Awesome! I’m happy you tested that many bikes and found the correct one for you!

I had a colleague that did the Pan Mass Challenge on a flat bar road bike for years and loved it.
Old 04-02-23, 04:27 PM
TRY-ATHLETE

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks, again thin_concrete

Originally Posted by thin_concrete
Awesome! I’m happy you tested that many bikes and found the correct one for you!

I had a colleague that did the Pan Mass Challenge on a flat bar road bike for years and loved it.
Yes, thin_cocrete, I took your advice and tested many bikes. And so glad to hear that your colleague did Pan Mass Challenge on a flat bar.