Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear axle disassembly

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Rear axle disassembly

Old 03-24-23, 06:33 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by SDHawk
Any thoughts on the best method for that also appreciated.
​​​​​​
I haven't had good success applying grease/bearings into the lower cluster and then fitting that onto the freewheel body, so what I do is grease that thin freewheel body race (currently threaded to your hub) and load half the bearings there. If you don't know how many bearings came off there, put two less than what will fit. then fit the cluster on top of that. Then place grease and the other half of the bearings onto the race atop the cluster where the lock ring sits. Go skimpy on grease, using only enough to keep the bearings in place. Be sure you haven't added grease to the two pawls.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-24-23, 07:25 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
It is pretty simple to get the freewheel body off. Thread the lockring back on and then you will be able to use the remover to take it off. You don't have to worry about anything else. If you can't get it off at that point, You may have to destroy the freewheel body
Old 03-24-23, 10:13 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 1993 Bridgestone MB-3, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 110 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
​​​​​​
I haven't had good success applying grease/bearings into the lower cluster and then fitting that onto the freewheel body, so what I do is grease that thin freewheel body race (currently threaded to your hub) and load half the bearings there. If you don't know how many bearings came off there, put two less than what will fit. then fit the cluster on top of that. Then place grease and the other half of the bearings onto the race atop the cluster where the lock ring sits. Go skimpy on grease, using only enough to keep the bearings in place. Be sure you haven't added grease to the two pawls.
Great, thanks so much for the details, very helpful.
Likes For SDHawk:
Old 03-24-23, 11:13 PM
maddog34

Bikes: !982 Trek 930R Custom, Diamondback ascent with SERIOUS updates, Fuji Team Pro CF and a '09 Comencal Meta 5.5

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1299 Post(s)
Liked 739 Times in 534 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
​​​​​​
I'd advise using a lightweight Grease too! Too thick a grease will prevent fast movement of the pawls... so... Light coating of Lightweight grease on the Pawls... the Same Lightweight grease should be used on the bearings to prevent Cross-contamination.
Likes For maddog34:
Old 03-26-23, 04:03 PM
SDHawk

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn High Sierra, 1989 Supergo Access Comp, 1989 Nishiki Pinnacle,1990 Trek 750, 1990 Trek 970, 1991 Miyata Quickcross, 1992 Bridgestone RB-2, 1993 Bridgestone MB-3, 2002 Stumpjumper M4 Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 110 Posts
Hi folks, just wanted to report that the operation was a success and the patient is looking good . I made a video cuz I'm too lazy to type:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pjR6QUB5hcxWKPEv6

Thanks again for all the great advice, it saved the day more than once. Cheers!

ps go Aztecs!
Likes For SDHawk:
Old 03-30-23, 06:56 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
^ Great video and even better results.