Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

BSA/ISO bottom bracket cartridge

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-23, 10:57 AM
ab1945

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a vintage Velo Sport bicycle built for me in 1962 by Doc Johnson in south London UK. It has the original BSA Stronglight bottom bracket with ISO square tapered spindle. The spindle and cups are pitted so I would like to replace them with a sealed bearing cartridge. The frame has a 66mm bracket and the spindle is 120mm long. While it is not standard the 66m bracket can be brought up to 68mm with a spacer but I have not been able to find a BB cartridge that will fit..
Old 03-25-23, 11:03 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Do you mean BSC Stronglight? (BSA is a different company). Don't forget to check to see if the spindle is asymmetrical.
If you took an inexpensive membership on BF, you can place a Wanted to Buy request in the sales thread.
Old 03-25-23, 11:25 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3806 Post(s)
Liked 6,674 Times in 2,607 Posts
What’s the crankset? If it’s also Stronglight, I’d think a 118mm cartridge BB would work, though as @clubman notes, you might need 1mm spacers on both sides.
Old 03-25-23, 01:44 PM
Mike_Kelly

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 27 Posts
If you did mean BSC, British Standard, vs BSA a company then Token makes BB's with ISO taper BSC 68mm with different spindle lengths.
Also these cheap asian units on ebay:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/11489196656...iABEgIaQPD_BwE

Last edited by Mike_Kelly; 03-25-23 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-27-23, 05:55 AM
ab1945

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is a Stronglight BSC crankset. I thought Token might be the answer but their longest spindle is 115mm. I have read in a couple of places that the early Stronglight cranks may fit on a JIS spindle and we'll check this out at my LBS later today. I remember in my early years of racing that the Stronglight cranks would sometimes go too far onto a spindle and become useless - which may mean they might work on JIS. Thankyou for your comments and assistance. I will let you know how this works out.