Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

wanna get tubeless tire, goatheads are getting better of me

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-22, 01:53 PM
ggbo951a

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Each year during towrad end of summer and beginning of fall season, goathead appears to terrorize bikers. I had numerios run into last years but this year, i almost getting flat tire almost everytime time i ride. too lazy to fix myself and each time it is costing 10$ at rei to replace tube.

Once for all, i just wanna go for a tubeless, this will protect from goat head?
I am new to this, what are adv. (other than obvious one here) and disadv.-s compared to tubed tire?
Do i have to get entire tire. wheel?
I am thinking about just buying and replacing the whole wheel, what measurements I should look for to fit my bike? (entry level mountain from REI)
I am seeing following numbers on existing tire: 2.26. 27.5.
I would not consider REI, i am looking into places like amazon or big5, recomm-d brand on this?
Old 08-06-22, 02:10 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,922 Times in 2,551 Posts
Cycle Oregon's come up with a goathead solution that, while not perfect, makes life far better. In the early morning they send a street sweeper around the route. Few appreciate it because they didn't ride the nightmare a few years back that will haunt those mechanics the rest of their lives.

Between drones and driverless cars, coming up with a pre-ride sweeper shouldn't be hard. Load your planned Strava, set it two hours in advance and just go ride.

Seriously, tire compounds make a big difference. Some tire treads have a compound that seems to attract debris and embrace it. Other compounds reject virtually everything. A dozen years ago, Vittoria made tires on both extremes. The Open Pave. Everything stuck. I rode them as winter tires because pavement stuck. Best gripping road tire I've ever ridden. At the same time the Rubinos had a hard, slippery tread. I rode those goathead years on Rubinos, slowed extra for every corner and had maybe one flat in several 500 mile COs. (And saw the road up close and personal a few times on wet brick, stone, paint, leaves ... Good thing, not much of that wet on the eastern Oregon CO goathead rides.)

Pretty sure the Rubinos have changed; that the wonderful goathead immunity has been traded for reasonable grip so I don't know what to recommend.

Edit: And there's the old trick. Brush your tires! With your hand or glove. Despite all the warnings of cuts, I almost never have and I spent years wiping with my fingers a) as a cheap racer that didn't want to kill nice gloves and b) better feedback on what was in my expensive sewups. I'm back to sewups and back to b).

Last edited by 79pmooney; 08-06-22 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-06-22, 02:17 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4731 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by ggbo951a
Each year during towrad end of summer and beginning of fall season, goathead appears to terrorize bikers. I had numerios run into last years but this year, i almost getting flat tire almost everytime time i ride. too lazy to fix myself and each time it is costing 10$ at rei to replace tube.

Once for all, i just wanna go for a tubeless, this will protect from goat head?
I am new to this, what are adv. (other than obvious one here) and disadv.-s compared to tubed tire?
Do i have to get entire tire. wheel?
I am thinking about just buying and replacing the whole wheel, what measurements I should look for to fit my bike? (entry level mountain from REI)
I am seeing following numbers on existing tire: 2.26. 27.5.
I would not consider REI, i am looking into places like amazon or big5, recomm-d brand on this?
Are you on a unicycle? Everything you asked is singular. Do you have specific brand/model of the wheel(s) you have? Someone more versed in mtb gear can then probably tell you if the wheels you have could be used with TL tires.
Old 08-06-22, 02:21 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 180 Posts
You might want to read this so you understand how tubeless compares to a tire with tubes. https://www.bikeradar.com/advice/buy...ides/tubeless/ Notice that you may not have to replace the wheel as long as you can get your existing rims to seal with tubeless rim tape. That's a lot less expensive than changing wheels. Should you decide to use tubeless ready wheels, take in your existing wheels to any bike shop or to the REI store they will give you the equivalent wheels and switch components (the cassette on the rear wheel).

I live in goathead country too and after a few really bad encounters learned to recognize the goathead plant and avoid them. Out here they grow at the edges of the road and bike paths. It was mostly riding over the plant that got my tires. It's a lot harder to avoid tumbleweed than to avoid the goathead plants. I carry a pump and spare tubes whenever I ride. I do my own repairs so fixing a flat costs pennies, not dollars. It is too much trouble and potentially dangerous in the heat to not fix the flat on the road. My only encounter with tire sealant was on a friend's SUV. What a mess to deal with a damaged tire that had sealant in it. I don't use it in my regular tubed tires.
Old 08-06-22, 02:29 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 675 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
An entry level MTB may not be tubeless-ready. You can look that up from the model name and number on the rim.

You can buy a patch kit for a few dollars and it will repair six flats. Carry one spare tube with you. When you get good at it, it'll take ten minutes to replace the rear, five minutes for the front. Five minutes longer for the second flat when you have to patch the tube.

If you're seriously adverse or unable to repair a flat in the field, consider something like Slime, but sometimes that causes as many problems as it solves. It can be a real mess if it doesn't seal a larger hole, or if you use it on high pressure road tires.
Old 08-06-22, 02:30 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Tubeless is by far the most effective deterrent against goatherds. You’ll be thrilled by the improvements.

That said, I doubt your entry level bike has neither tubeless compatible rims nor tires. And if you’re trying to update a rim brake bike…. at least you have 27.5 rims….

That is a really sound argument for a new bike upgrade 🙂
Old 08-07-22, 10:52 AM
DaveSSS 

Bikes: Cinelli superstar disc, two Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1097 Post(s)
Liked 559 Times in 446 Posts
Google is your friend. Try a search for mtg wheel diameters. You have 27.5 or 650b wheels.