Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Specialized Roll 2.0 vs 3.0

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Old 01-13-23, 04:51 PM
kcinnick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

I have been looking at bikes and I think I have it down to the specialized Roll. It's main use will be neighborhood riding and keeping up with the kids. I live in a VERY flat area, even if we went on a trail it would be kid friendly and very flat.

Is there any reason to go with the 3.0 over the 2.0 for this use? I am not sure if the spring suspension seat is worth it. I do like that the rear free hub could take a larger cassette if I wanted to on the 3.0 but I am not sure if I would ever need to upgrade this bike. I do kind of like the Red but I am OK with the gray or black.

I also have a local dealer (that I do not like) that has all their Trek 20% off because Trek dropped them... they are that bad. I really like the new Trek dealer and unfortunately they dropped Specialized to bring in Trek. The Verve is very similar but I think I like the Roll better and they are 25% off direct from Specialized right now.

I guess my biggest question is are the upgrade worth $225? My wife is getting a Roll 2.0 because she wants the teal color, so that made her decision really easy. I bet I would be getting a 3.0 if the teal was available in the 3.0 and not the 2.0
Old 01-13-23, 08:36 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,577 Posts
Yes the 3.0 is well worth it. The upgrade in shifting while still very low end is a big step up from 7 speed as it is Advent and works a lot better than most modern 8 speed stuff. Plus way better braking in hydraulic brakes vs. no name mechanicals. The seatpost is not worth anything and I would replace that with a Kinekt or just a standard post.

I wouldn't recommend the Verve it uses much narrower tires and that isn't great.
Old 01-14-23, 05:12 PM
kcinnick

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Well I ordered the 2.0 for her and the 3.0 for me. She really wanted that teal color. I guess I get to try both out now.
Likes For kcinnick:
Old 01-14-23, 07:51 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Originally Posted by kcinnick
Well I ordered the 2.0 for her and the 3.0 for me. She really wanted that teal color. I guess I get to try both out now.
Sometimes people are purely motivated by color. I did buy my Phil Wood road frame because of the paint job.

Enjoy the bikes!
Old 01-24-23, 02:46 AM
munkeyfish 

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Crosstrails Disc XL Frame. 2021 Trek Verve 2 Step Through XL frame.

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Did you get your bikes yet? Thoughts ?
Old 01-24-23, 08:01 AM
kcinnick

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
They should arrive today
Old 02-23-23, 02:52 PM
01sk10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey kcinnick - did your bikes arrive? How do you like it? My wife is getting the Roll and we have the exact same dilemma that you had. Any thoughts/suggestions not that you've tried both??

Thanks,
sk.
Old 02-23-23, 04:43 PM
kcinnick

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I like the 3 better but I don't really need any of the features of the 3... It does shift a little less noisily, stops a little better, the seat might as well be a solid post. I don't regret either bike.
Old 02-23-23, 09:14 PM
01sk10

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the feedback kcinnick ... this is very helpful. Happy riding to you and to your family!
Old 02-16-24, 10:50 AM
Pattimom74

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by kcinnick
I like the 3 better but I don't really need any of the features of the 3... It does shift a little less noisily, stops a little better, the seat might as well be a solid post. I don't regret either bike.
Hi kcinnick, almost a year later I came across your post while searching for feedback about the 2.0 vs 3.0. I’ve narrowed it down to those two and I have a specific question. Now that you have ridden your bikes for a year I’m curious if you still think the 3.0 is better? My specific question is, does the 3.0 handle hills any better than the 2.0?
Old 02-16-24, 06:00 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Originally Posted by Pattimom74
Hi kcinnick, almost a year later I came across your post while searching for feedback about the 2.0 vs 3.0. I’ve narrowed it down to those two and I have a specific question. Now that you have ridden your bikes for a year I’m curious if you still think the 3.0 is better? My specific question is, does the 3.0 handle hills any better than the 2.0?
Yes the 3.0 is better. In lower initial cost bikes getting the top of that range is important as they usually don't top out very high. The less you spend initially the more you spend long term. The costs gets removed somewhere and with is generally not being sensible to change the frame and fork (though Jamis does it) the shifting and braking suffer more. 7 speed came out in the mid to late 80s and 8 speed came out in the late 80s early 90s it is 2024 and we are in the 12-13 speed era so those lower tier groupsets aren't going to be great unless a modern purpose built set like Advent then you get something a little more decent.

When you start hitting Tourney level (including the M26 and similar from others) components run don't walk to the next bike. Unless you are riding once in a blue moon because that is the only time you can actually ride I wouldn't put any money towards something that scraps the underside of the barrel. Luckily though Specialized has a sale on some stuff and for $50 more you can get a 3.0. They used to have a nicer roll back in the day but it is has slowly declined in component quality now that they have the more desirable Como which is electric and way initially the same geometry and comfortable ride as the Roll and is still upright and comfortable and might be the same geo-wise but I haven't actually compared and much prefer the old one in many ways.
Old 02-16-24, 06:17 PM
Pattimom74

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you veganbikes, really appreciate the feedback.
Likes For Pattimom74:
Old 02-21-24, 01:59 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
The less you spend initially the more you spend long term.
Wise advice!
Likes For hokiefyd: